• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MUTANTOR! Dice engine for critique

Hi

I'm starting work on MUTANTOR! and one of the things I want to nail is a dice engine mechanic that reflects the setting. So yeah— MUTANTOR! is obviously gonna be crawling with mutant freaks, and the game mechanic should be something like that too.

If you can spare a couple of minutes to have a read and share your appraisal I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Giblet Blizzard: MUTANTOR! Mutant Dice

Ringlerun

First Post
The mutation mechanic seams a bit complex and clunky. It would take along time to get used to. I like your idea of the dice increasing in value from d6 to d8 and above. Having some sample target difficulties would help. Also how will skills interact with the dice and target numbers. And do the mutation dice only affect say one stat and related skills or just for one skill or for anything that the dice are rolled for.
And are there any penalties or negative mutation of the dice? can the dice decrease during the game?
Not sure if this post is going to be helpful or not but keep at it and i am sure you will work out

thanks ringlerun for your comments. I thought the mechanic pretty straight forward; I'll make sure to take extra care explaining it clearly and concisely, and have target numbers up soon - though they're dependent on the final permutation of the engine.

The mutation dice affects all rolls.

I've had several comments elsewhere and I'm pretty sure that I'll be including negative elements to certain rolls, most likely snake-eyes and three-eyed snakes.

Any feedback is always helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

Remove ads