• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mutants and Masterminds! (Quickie Review)

Synicism

First Post
Well, I picked up my copy of Mutants & Masterminds (Green Ronin) today and I'm pleased to announce that it's lived up to most all my expectations.

It's a full-color, 192-page hardcover. It's kinda pricey at $32.95, but it's a solid book with the same feel as Freeport: City of Adventure (my copy has held together great), only all color. The art is very nice, manga/comic style, which is perfect for the book.

This is mainly a system book. It's published under the OGL, but NOT the d20 logo. Don't go thinking you can pick and choose stuff for yor d20 games. It probably won't work.

The game makes some fundamental changes. First of all, there are no classes. Second of all, "levels" are practically meaningless. They exist as a character creation guide mostly, to tell you how many points you start with and what your max bonuses and skill ranks are.

Characters gain levels as they get more points, but unlike d20, they can spend them immediately instead of waiting.

The combat system is neat. Attacks have a damage rating, which sets the DC for a damage save. If you make the save, you're fine. If you fail, you take a hit, which reduces your damage save and can do other things. If you really botch it, you can be instantly disabled or have other bad things happen. I like the damage save mechanic, although a bad roll can spell instant disaster. One option a friend of mine suggested was that failed damage saves merely result in additional hits and incapacity happens when the damage save reaches +0.

The game seems to be really flexible. So far, I've been able to pull off most all the superheroes I've tried - Superman, Batman, Spider Man, Iron Man, Green Lantern, and Doctor Strange. It works better, IMO, if you toss the caps on skill ranks and stuff associated with level and just track points. Incidentally, the book takes this into account and has a method for calculating level based on your total point value.

The only real problem I had with the game is the lack of a money system. It has a Wealth option, but there is no example of how much things cost. Everything is built with points. For example, if I have an energy attack, it costs points. If I pick up a sword, that costs points, too. I would like to see a method for figuring out how much an item costs. That would be very handy in a low-powered game where characters rely in their wits and gear rather than funky powers, and would mnake the system more portable to other genres.

So other than that, Mutants & Masterminds is well worth the money!

AereonBlaze

First Post
Excellent, thanks for the mini-review!

I've been looking forward to it for a while now, though I admit I was a bit iffy when I heard combat strayed from the norm with no HP and only a d20.

Still, I think you convinced to pick it up next time I'm at my FLGS. :)

One quick question though, are powers "bought" with points earned? I'm curious as to how it works...

Thanks again,
Aereon

Yep, you buy powers, skills, feats, everything in M&M with power points, and you earn more through adventuring much like XP. The number of points that you've actually spent on your character determines what level you are (e.g. a character built on 150 pts is considered 10th level).

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Synicism said:
This is mainly a system book. It's published under the OGL, but NOT the d20 logo. Don't go thinking you can pick and choose stuff for yor d20 games. It probably won't work.

The game makes some fundamental changes. First of all, there
are no classes. Second of all, "levels" are practically meaningless.

Sigh. This sounds so much like Silver Age Sentinals all over again.

How is it different from that? Will we ever see a d20 superhero game where I can use feats and things that already exist in other products? Where I can rate people by level, give XP and in general not have to practically have a new game? I already have a non-d20 superhero game; Champions. I don't need another.

Mortaneus

First Post
Re: Re: Mutants and Masterminds! (Quickie Review)

WayneLigon said:

Sigh. This sounds so much like Silver Age Sentinals all over again.

How is it different from that? Will we ever see a d20 superhero game where I can use feats and things that already exist in other products? Where I can rate people by level, give XP and in general not have to practically have a new game? I already have a non-d20 superhero game; Champions. I don't need another.

Buy Four Colors to Fantasy from Natural20. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Personally, I'm quite glad they didn't go d20. I don't need super-hero D&D. I want a complete super hero game that specifically ISN'T D&D.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
bolen said:
So I know silver age got panned why? I cant remember

Silver Age Sentinels got panned by a lot of folks because they felt that it didn't use enough of the d20 system to make it compatible with their other d20 games — it seems that people felt that calling it Silver Age Sentinels d20 was misleading. I might be wrong, and I've not read it yet, so I can't say if this is true or fair or whatever, but that's what I remember.

Best,
tKL

Edit — fixed something to make this clearer.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads