• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Mutants & Masterminds] Buildings: Collapsing and Damage

Macbeth

First Post
So, In my weekly supers game (which will be played tomorrow night) I plan to have Gigantosaur (from Foes of Freedom) and some other super-size beasties (from the Freedom City setting, Kuiji island section) running through downtown Freedom City. Long story short, the mosters are being mind controlled and sent to destroy the Goodman Building, where the PCs are currently based (they were given the 40th floor by the Atom Family, as a sign of thanks).

Now, one of the things I really want to have is the destruction of buildings. Not only will there be gigantic dinosaurs running around, but one of the PCs has the Disentigration power and a lack of care for collateral damage. Basically, a recipe for destruction.

So, how would you handle damage to objects as big as buildings? How much damage does a falling building do? (I'm assuming a collapsing building kills any/all NPCs it hits, but PCs and the Bad Guys should get saving throws) I don't think any of this is really directly covered in the rules, so I'm looking for interpretations (or rules references, if appropriate).

takyris

First Post
First off, sounds like a fun idea!

Second, I'd suggest handling this with care. The optional rule about knockback specifically says that getting blasted through a building is just part of the damage you received from the hit, not additional damage. This isn't exactly what you're proposing to do here, but the theme is somewhat similar, and M&M gets ugly fast when you have multiple damage vectors from a single attack (or character per round, really).

If you do this, you also risk ticking off a player who spent a lot of points to get a big area-of-effect attack -- since as soon as Disintegration Boy sees that his attacks are making buildings fall down, he's going to use it to knock down buildings onto people and such. Blasto the Blasting Blaster, who actually BOUGHT "Area", is going to find that annoying, since Disintegration Boy didn't pay any points for what amounts to an Area attack.

So, with that in mind, here's how I'd handle it:

1) Accidental: Make the building an object and give it a bunch of hardness. When DB's disintegration (and/or other attacks) either destroys the building or takes it to 0 hardness, the building collapses, and anyone within, I don't know, 100 feet for a small (3-4 story) building or 100 yards or more for a big (skyscraper) building is hit by an attack. I'd probably go with something high but not crazy -- +15L and a linked snare attack (with anyone failing considered to be pinned by rubble). I don't have the book with me, so I don't know whether Snare is affected by creature size, but I dimly recall that it was, so a massive creature can probably get out of the snare after a few moments, shaking off rubble and getting back to its feet

2) Deliberate: If a hero wants to do this on purpose, and doesn't have an area extra on his attacks, I would either make him spend a hero point or have unintended consequences. Unintended consequences include the building falling over and not collapsing down, knocking over another building and hurting the hero's ally, or having the building collapse a gas main and set off an explosion that catches the player in it. Something that clearly says "You don't want to do this unless you spend a hero point. It's not a good idea."

As for the bystanders, that's up to you and your campaign. My players don't like playing gritty, so I tend to play with the understanding that unless I put NPCs on the table, the buildings are deserted -- it's night, they're vacant and waiting to be rented out, whatever. I don't want my guys to have to worry too much, and I try to clearly tell them when there's an innocent bystander -- usually kids in a school bus or something about that absurd.

Macbeth

First Post
The buildings will be, for the most part, evacuated, but a few remaining NPCs willbe around (and the PCs will be aware of them). I doubt the PCs will go out of their way to save the bystanders ( they have a reputation for being a bit wreckless and extreme), but it will be available. It's a large group of PCs, so I wouldn't be a suprised if a couple split off to do 'damage control.'

And thanks for the ideas. This looks like a very balanced solution, and something I'll probably use. Of course, I'm still open to any other ideas also. :)

Calinon

First Post
I'd say the giant monsters could knock down buildings with the effect of a wide range area attack at their normal melee attack damage. Of course, it is unlikely they will be knocking down random buildings, but if they do...

As for the disintegrating wonder, have his unconcerned damaging spree caught on film, the areas he destroys may house important documents or irreplacable items resulting in a lawsuit; have buildings he disintegrates collapse towards him doing damage equal to the nearest monsters melee attack damage. However, a building hardness should be high enough that it would take him many, many rounds to successfully topple a building, unless he is inside looking at the support columns, and then he's gonna get crushed to death.

Chaldfont

First Post
I did something like this, only it was a giant robot sent to retrieve a hero's sentient alien power armor. The hero's armor (which manifests random powers, kind of like that old show Great American Hero) sucked up a bunch of metal from a junkyard to create a giant robot suit to defend itself.

I didn't use any mechanics--just plot devices. If one of the robots used a building for cover, it blew up. I was going for gratuitous collateral damage inspired by Megas XLR.

I say just wing it. If the PCs are having an easy time of it, make them rescue someone or get trapped under rubble (and have to make a grapple check to get free). If the battle is going against them, describe environmental things that might help (such as having your giant monster walk over a gas tanker truck that the players can blow up).

Remove ads