{Mutants & Masterminds} United Heroes Limited Series

MnM_UH

First Post
Sorry for the Delay

I've had some other priorities come up -- damn them! :rolleyes: -- so I haven't been able to post the start of the next issue. I plan on running the combat sometime soon, and then I'll post the big fight.

Didn't want anyone to think I had given up...

Last edited:

MnM_UH

First Post
Combat Scene Adjustment

To keep the combat scenes from becoming incredibly long posts, I am going to break them up by rounds. Therefore, a scene containing a six round combat would have six or seven posts (there might be one post before or after to complete the scene).

Just thought I'd let my loyal readers know of the change.

UH Editor

MnM_UH

First Post
Issue #3 - "Embers"

Scene 1: “Battle on the Waterfront”

Here are stats for two new villains, Cyber-Knight and Trickster:

Cyber-Knight
186 PP

PL 12; Init +1; Defense 16; Spd 30 Run, 50 Ride; ATK +14 Melee (+17S Dam, Vibrosword), +9 Ranged (+0S Dam, None); SV Dam +11, Fort +11, Ref +1, Will +1; STR 20, DEX 13, CON 20, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 17.
Skills: Climb +12, Handle Animal +7, Intimidate +13, Jump +12, Ride +11, and Taunt +13.
Feats: Attack Focus – Armed, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical – Vibrosword, Move-By Attack, Power Attack, Quick Draw, and Toughness.
Powers: Datalink +5 [Source: Super-Science; Cost: 10 PP], Regeneration +5 [Source: Super-Science; Cost: 10 PP], Super-Constitution +4 [Source: Super-Science; Cost: 16 PP], and Super-Strength +4 [Source: Super-Science; Cost: 16 PP].
Equipment: Cyber-Steed [Vehicle; Type: Ground; Size: Large; Movement: 10 (50); Hardness: 12; Armor: 0; Source: Super-Science; Cost: 12 PP], Fusion Meta-Armor [Protection (+ Impenetrable) +7 and Sensory Protection +5; Source: Super-Science; Cost: 19 PP], and Vibrosword [Strike (Melee) +8; Power Stunt: Penetrating Attack; Source: Super-Science; Cost: 9 PP].
Physical Description: Cyber-Knight always appears in a very shiny suit of metal armor. This armor is nearly Medieval in style, although it certainly has very obviously modern elements, and is not constructed of normal metal alloys. The armor includes a large helmet, which serves to make the villain even more imposing. He carries the Vibrosword, which, when activated, makes an audible buzzing sound. Cyber-Knight rides a mechanical horse into combat, and he either fights on horseback or sometimes dismounts if the situation calls for it.

Trickster
235 PP

PL 15; Init +1; Defense 18; Spd 30 Run; ATK +4 Melee (+0S Dam, Punch), +5 Ranged (+0S Dam, None); SV Dam +0, Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +14; STR 10, DEX 13, CON 10, INT 18, WIS 20, CHA 20.
Skills: Bluff +15, Concentration +9, Craft (Writing) +8, Diplomacy +15, Disguise +23, Drive +5, Escape Artist +8, Gather Information +17, Hide +13, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (Classical Music) +12, Language (Atlantean, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish), Listen +15, Move Silently +13, Open Lock +7, Perform +13, Pilot +5, Profession (Musician) +9, Profession (Writer) +9, Search +10, Sense Motive +15, Sleight of Hand +10, Spot +15, and Taunt +14.
Feats: Connected, Dodge, Evasion, Expertise, Improved Disarm, Headquarters, Inspire, Iron Will, Leadership, Lightning Reflexes, Psychic Awareness, Power Immunity, See Invisibility, Skill Focus – Disguise, Talented (Listen & Spot), and True Sight.
Powers: Amazing Save – Willpower +7 [Source: Psionics; Cost: 7 PP], ESP +4 [Source: Psionics; Cost: 8 PP], Illusion +15 [Extras: Area and Damaging; Flaw: Limited – Only Creatures; Source: Psionics; Cost: 45 PP], Invisibility +10 [Flaw: Limited – Only Creatures; Source: Psionics; Cost: 10 PP], Mental Protection +8 [Source: Psionics; Cost: 16 PP], Mind Control +5 [Extra: Mind Blank; Source: Psionics; Cost: 15 PP], and Telepathy +5 [Flaw: Limited – Communication Only; Source: Psionics; Cost: 5 PP].
Equipment: None.
Weakness: Quirk (Trusts Underlings too Much) and Quirk (Overconfident).
Physical Description: Though he often uses disguises, Trickster is most often seen wearing a pin-striped trench coat and a well-worn fedora, along with white gloves and spats. Underneath the trench coat, he is dressed in a suit and tie (always green). Trickster is of Caucasian origin, and is approximately 35 years old. He has green eyes, black hair, stands 6’1”, and weighs 170 lbs.

(Note: During the previous battle with Bombardier, he should have needed to use a half action to draw one of his bomb devices, since he doesn’t have the Quick Draw feat. From now on, or until he acquires that feat, he will use a half action to draw, then another half action to use an attack.)

(First off, we’ll roll for initiative. For the heroes, Electrostatic gets a 33, Pathfinder gets a 7, the Scoundrel gets a 24, and Seraphim gets a 5. For the villains, Bombardier gets a 6, Cyber-Knight gets a 15, and Trickster gets an 11. So, the order goes Electrostatic, the Scoundrel, Cyber-Knight, Trickster, Pathfinder, Bombardier, and Seraphim.)

Trickster stood in front of Bombardier and Cyber-Knight, mocking the four heroes in front of him. “If I were you,” he said, “I would just run away now, before you get hurt!”

Seraphim hovered over the situation, trying to evaluate the team’s chances of perhaps capturing the villains. Also, there was the matter of the innocent bystanders forming a half-circle behind the villains. How best to stop these cretins without harming those people behind them? Seraphim asked himself.

Electrostatic and the Scoundrel looked to their field general above for some kind of sign, but none was forthcoming. They each thought it best to make a pre-emptive strike against the villains, maybe to stop them before anything happened.

“Seen these guys before?” Electrostatic asked the Scoundrel.

“No,” his companion replied, “but I know this Bombardier guy throws grenades, so let’s try not to get bunched up.”

“Agreed,” Electrostatic answered as he rushed toward the villains.

The electric hero knew that they might only have one shot at this Trickster, and that the time was now! He charged forward and, pointing his index fingers at the shady villain, let loose an impressive lightning bolt, blasting Trickster and enveloping him in blue shimmering light. “Take that!” the hero yelled as he fired off. Electrostatic kept an eye on Cyber-Knight, who was mounted and probably going to attack. He covered himself in electricity, just in case.

(Electrostatic uses his Dodge feat to assign a +2 dodge bonus to his Defense against Cyber-Knight. Next, as a half action, he moves forward 40’. He fires his Energy Blast at Trickster (DEF 17) and hits with a 19. Trickster must attempt a Damage Save (DC 25) using his Evasion feat, and gets a 16. The villain takes a Stun hit and is Stunned. Finally, Electrostatic uses a free action to activate his Damage Field.)

This is likely to get pretty dicey, the Scoundrel thought. A guy like me could get flattened quick. He pulled out his Hellfire Pistols and made for cover, hoping that the others wouldn’t just think he was running away. Cowardice was not in the Scoundrel’s vocabulary, but strategy certainly was! He spotted a row of metallic sheds nearby and headed for a spot just behind the last one. Now what? he wondered.

(The Scoundrel spends a half action to draw his two Hellfire Pistols. As his other half action, he moves 45’ across the field of action to get behind a shed for 100% cover.)

“I’ll not have someone as vile as thee attack my liege, crass varlet!” cried Cyber-Knight as he drew his Vibrosword and charged Electrostatic, mounted atop his Cyber-Steed. Electrostatic’s eyes got wide as the hulking metal beast approached. “Have at thee,” Cyber-Knight called out as the blade swung, and Electrostatic, with blinding speed, somersaulted over it and tumbled behind the mounted villain.

Whew, Electrostatic thought. That was close!

(Cyber-Knight draws his Vibrosword as a free action (Quick Draw). Atop his Cyber-Steed, he rides 50’ forward to Electrostatic as a half action. Then, he attacks Electrostatic (DEF 31) and misses with a 24.)

Trickster laid on his side, his skin still trickling with electrical power. That fool surprised me, he thought, but not again. He got up and blinked out of sight. Looking around, Trickster spotted some barrels that would work for cover, just in case. He made his way over there, minding his ally Bombardier very carefully, since the grenade-lobbing villain could see Trickster no better than the heroes.

(Trickster spends a Villain Point to remove his Stunned condition. Next, he uses a free action to become Invisible. Just to be on the safe side, the villain assigns a +1 dodge bonus to his Defense. Finally, he hustles 60’ across the field of action toward some barrels, near a large metallic container.)

“Seraphim!” Pathfinder called out. “We need to take out Bombardier first, right?”

“Agreed,” the angelic hero replied. “Get close enough to get a shot at Bombardier, but stay away from Cyber-Knight. We don’t know his capabilities yet. Electrostatic is taking a big risk by getting in his face.”

Pulling his SuperX Crossbow around front to bear, Pathfinder ran as far as he could, while avoiding Cyber-Knight. Pathfinder wouldn’t be able to take a shot yet since he was still quite far from the villainous Bombardier.

(Pathfinder uses a free action to draw his SuperX Crossbow. He hustles 60’ forward to get closer to Bombardier.)

Bombardier was too smart for the heroes’ tactics. “You think you can spread out and avoid the Nega-Bomb?” he asked. “I can blow you all to smithereens!” Bombardier produced the so-named Nega-Bomb from the bandolier across his chest, and hurled it as far as he could toward Pathfinder, trying to gauge it so that the blast might also hit Electrostatic.

The radiation blast enveloped Pathfinder as intended, and also clipped Electrostatic and Cyber-Knight. All three combatants were knocked to their posteriors momentarily, with the Native American hero taking the brunt of the blast.

(Bombardier uses a half action to draw a Nega-Bomb. He throws it at a square (DEF 10) near Pathfinder. Bombardier gets a –10 penalty due to range, but he still hits the square with a result of 12. Pathfinder, Electrostatic, and Cyber-Knight are all within the Nega-Bomb’s area of effect, so all get Reflex saves (DC 18) to halve the damage. Pathfinder (13) and Cyber-Knight (2) fail. Electrostatic succeeds with an 18. Pathfinder must attempt a Damage save (DC 17) and fails with a 16, taking a Stun hit. Cyber-Knight must attempt a Damage save (DC 16) and succeeds with a 30, taking no damage. Electrostatic does not need to attempt a Damage save because the halved Damage bonus (+4) is less than the value of his Protection (+8).)

Seraphim flew in a little closer to the battle after the explosion. “Electrostatic,” he called out, “we must concentrate on Bombardier! He is the biggest threat to the bystanders. Scoundrel, see if you can find Trickster before he gets away!”

The angelic hero bulleted through the air and, with both fists forward, toppled Bombardier with little effort. Seraphim landed just behind the fallen villain, hoping to make sure he stayed that way.

(Seraphim takes a free action to activate his Force Field, and another free action to use his Leadership feat. The heroes in the next round will gain a +1 bonus to their checks. He allocates his +1 from Aerial Combat to Defense. Seraphim charges Bombardier (DEF 18), moving 65’ in a ram attempt. He hits with a 27, so Bombardier must attempt a Damage save (DC 19, adjusted for the ram and the villain’s Protection). Bombardier gets an 11, so he takes a Stun hit and is Stunned. Normally, Seraphim would need to make a Damage save due to the ram, but the Damage bonus (+8) is less than the value of his Force Field (+10).)

(This ends combat round one.)

Watch for round 2, coming soon!

Last edited:

MnM_UH

First Post
Issue #3 - "Embers" (Continued)

Scene 1: "Battle on the Waterfront" - Combat Round Two

All right, Electrostatic thought. We can take down Bombardier now, and concentrate on the others -- as long as I can make it happen! Focusing his concentration on the environment around him, Electrostatic drew in as much power as he could, until his very being was shaking with electrical energy, and then released a lightning bolt at the villainous Bombardier, who was already looking pretty shaky. The jolt sent Bombardier reeling, but the villain was still on his feet. Electrostatic dropped to one knee after he blasted Bombardier, but felt his energy returning almost instantly.

"Geez," he said, "why won't this guy go down?"

(Electrostatic takes a half action to move 25' toward Bombardier to get within Point Blank range. He uses Extra Effort to increase the Energy Blast to +12 damage and fires it at Bombardier (DEF 14), hitting with a 22. Bombardier must attempt a Damage save (DC 25+2-8=19) and gets a 14. He takes a Stun hit. Finally, Electrostatic spends a Hero Point to remove the Extra Effort fatigue.)

Let's take a look around here, the Scoundrel thought. If I were an invisible cretin, where would I be hiding? He cruised around behind some metallic sheds and some large containers, like the kind used in cargo ships. Coming out into the open, he had still not seen Trickster. He's gotta be around here somewhere, the Scoundrel thought.

(The Scoundrel double-moves around some sheds and containers, looking for Trickster. He has Blind-Sight, so he can see the invisible villain if he gets within 30'. The Scoundrel ends his round within 30', so Trickster must make a Hide check to avoid being seen. The Hide check (16) is opposed by the Scoundrel's Spot check (13). The Scoundrel doesn't see Trickster - yet.)

"Thou canst get away that easily!" Cyber-Knight exclaimed, and spurred his Cyber-Steed onward. Electrostatic turned just in time to see Cyber-Knight's vibrating blade slicing at his head and dove backward, but Cyber-Knight's attack still sliced the electric hero across the chest. Electrostatic reeled from the blow, but was still on his feet.

(Cyber-Knight charges Electrostatic (DEF 31) from behind, and hits with a 33. Electrostatic must attempt a Damage (Reflex) save (DC 32-6=26) and gets a 20. Electrostatic takes a Stun hit and is Stunned. Because he has Move-By Attack and moved only 25' in his charge, Cyber-Knight continues moving another 25' after the attack, and ends up near Bombardier.)

Trickster skulked around near the barrels, trying to read what might be inside. Radioactive materials, hm? he thought. What a delight!. Then, he heard someone crashing around nearby. So, they think they'll sneak up on me? Trickster crept closer to the crowd, but kept his eye on the corner where he was standing. He created a perfect illusion of himself, standing visible in the open. That should keep my little friend busy, he thought.

(Since the Scoundrel is moving nearby, the hero must make Hide (28) and Move Silently (17) checks, opposed by Trickster's Spot (24) and Listen (33) checks. Trickster hears someone moving around near him, but doesn't see anything. He uses a half action to move 15' toward the crowd. Then, he creates an Illusion of himself in the same spot where he stood.)

"I'll finish him off," Pathfinder offered, as he moved in closer to get a good shot at Bombardier. He fired his crossbow, but missed as the villain appeared to move slightly to avoid the attack.

Frustrating, Pathfinder thought.

(Pathfinder uses a half action to move 15' forward and get within Point Blank range of Bombardier. He fires his SuperX Crossbow at Bombardier (DEF 14), but misses with a 13.)

Bombardier shook off the cobwebs and looked at the situation. "I'm so popular," he noted. "Seraphim, we have some unfinished business."

"I will have nothing to do with the likes of you, villain," the angelic hero replied.

This hero will stop at nothing to save these simpletons, Bombardier considered, eyeing the crowd behind him. He produced a Neural-Bomb and threw it into the crowd of bystanders. "Take that, do-gooder!" The blast covered a dozen people, and caught Seraphim, who shrugged off its effects.

(Bombardier spends a Villain Point to remove his Stunned condition. He takes a 5' step and draws a Neural Bomb as a half action. He throws it into the crowd, hoping to clip Seraphim in the process. He targets a square (DEF 10) and takes a -2 range penalty, hitting with a 16. 12 Bystanders are Paralyzed, and Seraphim must attempt a Reflex save (DC 16) to halve the effect. Seraphim gets 18. The effect is halved to +3 and since this is less than Seraphim's Mental Protection (+8), he doesn't need to make a save.)

"You are a fool!" Seraphim cried, looking at the frozen bystanders. "This stops now," he said, drawing his weapon. The Sword of Truth was very similar to an English Longsword, but was decorated with gold and platinum stamping. Seraphim swung the sword at Bombardier, but the villain deftly dodged the blow.

"Ha ha," Bombardier said mockingly. "You'll have to catch me first!"

(Seraphim draws his Sword of Truth as a half action. He uses a free action to continue his Leadership. Seraphim attacks Bombardier (DEF 18), but misses with a 17.)

(This ends combat round two.)

Watch for round 3, coming soon!

MnM_UH

First Post

Scene 1: "Battle on the Waterfront" - Combat Round Three

(Electrostatic recovers from his Stunned effect and cannot take an action. He does regain dodge bonuses to Defense and can make Reflex saves as normal. He must restart Energy Field and the like on his next turn.)

"There he is!" the Scoundrel shouted as he spotted the villainous Trickster emerging from behind a large container. He blasted with both Hellfire Pistols, and staggered the pin-striped villain. "Think you can hide from me, huh?"

(The Scoundrel sees 'Trickster' and uses a full-round action to fire both Hellfire Pistols at the illusion (DEF 18), hitting with results of 22 and 20. Since he has interacted with the illusion, the Scoundrel can attempt a Will save (DC 25) to see through it, but fails with an 8.)

"Thou shall not resist me much longer, varlet," Cyber-Knight announced as he made another pass at Electrostatic. The electric hero, still woozy from the last shot, saw Cyber-Knight coming from far away, and would not be so easily surprised this time. He tumbled under the robotic horse's legs, and emerged on the other side.

"Nice try," Electrostatic said as he watched Cyber-Knight continue past him.

(Cyber-Knight charges 15' at Electrostatic (DEF 29) and misses with a 19. He continues past his target for another 35' (Move-By Attack).)

The fool gave away his position, Trickster realized, and moved near a collection of barrels to get a better look. That Scoundrel moron, he thought. Easy pickings.

The illusion of Trickster regained its footing. Pulling out a large pistol, the illusion fired a shot at the Scoundrel, landing squarely in the hero's chest, and dropping the Scoundrel immediately.

That should keep him out of action for a while.

(Trickster uses a half action to move 20' and get in position to see the Scoundrel. Since he's moving and within audible range of Pathfinder and the Scoundrel and visual range of the latter, Trickster makes a Hide check (28) and a Move Silently check (18). Pathfinder's Listen check is 22, so he hears something nearby. The Scoundrel's Spot check is 4 (fails) and his Listen check is 17 (fails). Trickster uses his other half action to cause his illusory double to draw a pistol and fire at the Scoundrel (DEF for Mental Blast = 19), and hits with a 24. The Scoundrel resists with a Will save (DC 30), and fails with an 18. The Scoundrel takes a Stun hit and is unconscious.)

Someone is nearby, Pathfinder thought, his supernatural sense of smell picking up something new. But where? I don't see -- Then, he saw Trickster's illusory double. Some black barrels were in the way, so Pathfinder scampered to get a better shot. His back was turned, so Pathfinder had a very easy shot, and let loose with his crossbow, plunking the villain. 'Trickster' staggered, but did not drop, and turned to face the scout.

(Trickster is within 30', so Pathfinder can use his Scent ability. He makes a Spot check (DC 10), and gets a natural 20! He is fooled, however, by the illusory Trickster standing 10' away from the real (invisible) one. Pathfinder moves 30' as a half action, then fires his SuperX Crossbow at the illusion (DEF 18) and hits with a 27. Pathfinder now gets a Will save (DC 25) to see through the illusion, but fails with an 11.)

"You risk your lives to save these slack-jawed fools?" Bombardier asked. "Save them from this!" He pulled a Nega-Bomb from his bandolier and hurled it toward the edge of the pier, where six people stood, gawking at the combat. The blast took all six down, and butted Seraphim and Electrostatic, but neither hero was seriously affected.

(Bombardier takes a 5' step and draws a Nega-Bomb. He targets a square near the edge of the pier (DEF 10), and gets a -6 range penalty, but hits with a 13. Seraphim, Electrostatic, and 6 Bystanders are caught in the blast. Reflex saves (DC 18) for the heroes. Electrostatic (18) succeeds while Seraphim (17) fails. Neither hero needs to make a Damage save since their protections are more than the damage bonus of the attack (Electrostatic's +8 vs. +4 half damage; Seraphim's +10 vs. +8 full damage). 6 Bystanders are knocked unconscious.)

"I'll take care of this scum," Seraphim announced. "The rest of you work on Cyber-Knight."

Pathfinder was confused. "But their leader is right here!"

Seraphim looked, but could see nothing from where he was. "Stop Cyber-Knight!"

With that, Seraphim charged Bombardier, who was still gloating about harming innocents. The angelic hero put his sword away and tackled Bombardier, who could not react in time to resist.

(Seraphim uses a free action to power Leadership. He puts away his sword as a free action and attempts to grapple with Bombardier (DEF 18). The initial melee attack roll is 26, so now both make opposed Grapple checks. Seraphim gets a 27 vs. Bombardier's 14. Seraphim has Bombardier in a hold, but the villain takes no damage since his Protection effect (+8) is greater than Seraphim Str bonus (+4).)

(This ends the third combat round.)

Watch for round 4, coming soon!

MnM_UH

First Post

Scene 1: "Battle on the Waterfront" - Combat Round Four

I've had about enough of this knight guy, Electrostatic thought. He stood up and pointed both arms at the mounted villain, projecting a mighty blast of electrical power right at Cyber-Knight. The blast caused blue light to dance across Cyber-Knight's armor and helmet.

(Electrostatic activates his Energy Field and assigns a +2 dodge bonus to Defense vs. Cyber-Knight (Dodge feat). He fires his Energy Blast at Cyber-Knight (DEF 14 due to his charge) and hits with a 16. Cyber-Knight must attempt a Damage save (DC 18) and fails with 14. He takes a Stun hit.)

(The Scoundrel is unconscious for another 9 rounds.)

Though rebuffed by the lightning bolt, Cyber-Knight was barely injured. "That is all thou can do?" Cyber-Knight asked, and spurred his Cyber-Steed onward. "Merely a tickle!" he announced as he charged, wielding his Vibrosword. The weapon swung, tapping Electrostatic's shoulder, but the hero rolled with the blow and was uninjured. As the blade connected, Cyber-Knight felt a slight jolt of additional electricity.

(Cyber-Knight charges Electrostatic (DEF 31) again, hitting the hero with a 33. Electrostatic must attempt a Reflex save (Evasion) (DC 24) and succeeds with a 24. Electrostatic's Energy Field strikes back at Cyber-Knight, who must make a Damage save (DC 18) and gets a 29 - no effect. Cyber-Knight continues past Electrostatic for another 25' (Move-By Attack).)

If I can take down both of these heroes, Trickster considered, I will have more to barter with. He made his illusory double fire its pistol at Pathfinder, but the hero was somehow able to evade the blast.

Trickster retreated from his position. Don't want him to get too close.

(Trickster causes the illusion to fire its pistol at Pathfinder (DEF 19) but misses with a 13. He uses a half action to walk 25' away from his spot, but still within visual range of Pathfinder.)

"Trickster," Pathfinder said, addressing the illusion, "you'll not escape me again!" The hero quickly put his SuperX Crossbow back in its slot on his backpack, and charged his foe, crashing into the illusion. He did not seem to notice that he was wrestling with air.

(Pathfinder puts his crossbow away and charges the Trickster illusion to grapple. The illusion has DEF 18, and Pathfinder hits with a 22. He now gets a new Will save against the Illusion (DC 25), but fails with an 8.)

Bombardier struggled in the angelic hero's grasp. "You sure are strong!" It was clear that Bombardier would not be able to wriggle free easily.

(Bombardier tries to resist the grapple, so he and Seraphim make opposed Grapple checks. Bombardier gets 12 and Seraphim gets 28. Bombardier cannot act this round.)

"Electrostatic," Seraphim called out, "I'm going to take care of this rubbish. Finish off Cyber-Knight." He looked around for Pathfinder and the Scoundrel, but could not see them.

Carrying Bombardier, Seraphim took to the sky, flying some 60' straight up. "Now perhaps we can have a civil discussion," Seraphim suggested.

The villain looked down. "What do you want?" he demanded nervously.

"I'm going to make you a deal," Seraphim replied. "If you hand over your bandolier and your pack, I will let you down without injury."

"And if I don't?" Bombardier asked.

Seraphim smiled. "How far up do you think I can fly before I lose my grip on you?"

"Fair enough," Bombardier replied and handed over what the hero requested.

(Seraphim uses a free action to continue his Leadership. Next, he and Bombardier fly 60' straight up, and Seraphim makes an Intimidate check (DC 18), getting a 25. He convinces Bombardier to hand over his bandolier and bag of tricks in exchange for being put back on the ground.)

(This ends the fourth combat round.)

Watch for round 5, coming soon!

Last edited:

MnM_UH

First Post

Scene 1: "Battle on the Watefront" - Combat Round Five

"He's right, Cyber!" Electrostatic called out. "It's my job to wipe you out!" Electrostatic drew from the deepest recesses of his energy and let loose with a multi-layered electrical torrent that covered Cyber-Knight in waves of lightning. The villain was not prepared for this, and was thrown from his mount. The effort drained Electrostatic, who fell fatigued to the ground.

(Electrostatic uses Extra Effort to increase his Energy Blast to +12. He blasts Cyber-Knight (DEF 14) and hits with a Natural 20 - a Critical Hit. Cyber-Knight must attempt a Damage save (DC 25+2+5-7=25) and gets 16. He takes a Stun hit and is Stunned. The blast knocks Cyber-Knight off his mount. Electrostatic is now fatigued for the rest of the combat.)

(The Scoundrel is unconscious for another 8 rounds.)

Cyber-Knight rolled on the ground, and then got to his feet, still woozy. "Well played, my good man."

(Cyber-Knight recovers from the Stunned condition and cannot act.)

Perhaps I should just cut my losses and get away with what I can, Trickster thought, eyeing the unconscious Scoundrel. This Pathfinder fellow seems reasonably amused for the moment, so I'll slip around back and pick up sleeping beauty.

(Trickster double moves around the backside of the container toward the unconscious Scoundrel.)

"Stay down!" Pathfinder called out while grappling with the illusionary Trickster. He still could not tell that this was nothing more than a vision.

(Pathfinder continues to grapple with the illusion. He gets a new Will save (DC 25), but fails with a 21.)

(Bombardier holds his action until Seraphim returns to the ground. He will now act after Seraphim in the rotation.)

Seraphim glided down to the ground with Bombardier in tow. "I am not about to let you get away, friend," Seraphim cautioned. "You are still my prisoner."

(Seraphim returns to the ground as promised.)

"We'll see about that," Bombardier replied as he wormed his hand into his bandolier and got his thumb on the release for one of his Smoke-Bombs. "Loser!" he called out as black smoke filled the majority of the pier.

(Bombardier tries to take an action, but he is still in a grapple, so he and Seraphim must make opposed Grapple checks. Bombardier gets 26 and Seraphim gets 19. Bombardier makes a melee attack against Seraphim (DEF 19) and gets a Natural 20! He grabs his bandolier and activates a Smoke Bomb, covering an area 100' radius with an Obscure effect that affects Sight and Scent.)

(This ends the fifth combat round.)

Watch for round 6, coming soon!

MnM_UH

First Post

Scene 1: "Battle on the Waterfront" - Combat Round Six

::Cough, Cough :: Electrostatic couldn't see anything. Everywhere was black smoke. Gotta get out of here, he thought and fled. Eventually, he was free of the smoke, but didn't see any of his allies anywhere.

(Electrostatic can't see anything since he's within the Obscure effect, so he double moves 40' (his movement is reduced because of the concealment) away from where he stands to try to get out of the area. He just barely gets out of the smoke.)

(The Scoundrel is unconscious for another 7 rounds.)

Cyber-Knight managed to find the Cyber-Steed and mounted up. "Gaw," he said, "Can't see a thing! Away, Cyber-Steed!" The metallic horse charged through the smoke, and into a gaggle of policemen who were trying to seal off the pier.

"Stop!" one of them called out to Cyber-Knight, raising his revolver.

"Thou art kidding," the villain replied and continued to ride away.

Several policemen fired shots, but all glanced off Cyber-Knight's armor.

(Cyber-Knight also cannot see, but he finds his Cyber-Steed and mounts up. He then rides 50' away from the center of the smoke, just out of the cloud and through a crowd of policemen. The cops take a few shots a Cyber-Knight, but miss.)

Trickster picked up the sleeping Scoundrel. What do they feed this one? he wondered as he experienced the weight. He threw the hero over his shoulder and took off around the corner, hoping to make it to a waiting van nearby.

(Trickster picks up the unconscious Scoundrel as a half action. Then, he moves 30' away as his other half action.)

Pathfinder's 'friend' disappeared as the area was covered in thick, black smoke. "It was an illusion all along," he said. He was just at the edge of the smoke, so he stepped aside to avoid it, and saw something most odd - the Scoundrel was floating away!

Remembering that Trickster was able to turn invisible, it occurred to Pathfinder that the villainous illusionist must have been the one carrying the Scoundrel, so he drew his crossbow and fired just below the Scoundrel's body, but appeared to miss whatever was carrying the hero away.

(Pathfinder's illusory wresting partner disappears, leaving him in a smoke-filled area with no way to see anything. Since the Obscure effect also works against Scent, Pathfinder is basically blind. He moves 5' to get out of the smoke as a half action, and can attempt a Spot check (DC 15) to see the Scoundrel 'floating away'. He gets a 33. Pathfinder uses a free action to pull out his crossbow and fires beneath Scoundrel (Trickster is DEF 18) but misses with a 15.)

Seraphim and Bombardier struggled on the ground and the angelic hero attempted to pin the villain to the concrete.

(Seraphim is blinded, but still has Bombardier in his grip. He tries to pin Bombardier, but both must attempt opposed Grapple checks. Seraphim gets a 13 and Bombardier gets a 22, so nothing happens.)

Bombardier had other ideas. Since he could still see, the villain kicked Seraphim's wing and, using that shock, rolled free of Seraphim and ran away, keeping the hero at bay.

(Bombardier wants to escape, so both combatants must attempt opposed Grapple checks. Bombardier gets a 25 and Seraphim gets a 16. Bombardier escapes and runs around randomly in the smoke to get away from Seraphim.)

(This ends the combat rounds except for Pathfinder and Trickster, who are in a chase.)

Trickster turned to see who was firing at him. Really, come now. Haven't we had enough of this? he thought. He turned visible and glared at Pathfinder, the villain's eyes glowing green. "Obey me," Trickster commanded.

Pathfinder was stunned by the villain's glowing eyes and found himself in Trickster's thrall. "What shall I do?" he asked of his master.

"Return to your friends," Trickster suggested. "I have other plans."

Pathfinder turned and ran back into the smoke, looking for Seraphim and Electrostatic.

Trickster used his telepathy to contact Cyber-Knight and Bombardier. I have captured the Scoundrel. We must leave now. Meet me at the van!

(Trickster turns and sees Pathfinder giving chase. He uses a free action to turn visible. Next, he uses Mind Control on Pathfinder, so it starts with Trickster's Mind Control check (18 - reduced by Pathfinder's Mental Protection) opposed by Pathfinder's Will save (14). Now, Trickster has control of Pathfinder. He instructs Pathfinder to go find his friends. This is something Pathfinder would be opposed to doing (not trying to save his ally), so Trickster must make a Mind Control check (DC 10) and gets 17 - success. Pathfinder wanders back through the smoke to try to find Seraphim and Electrostatic.)

Seraphim rose above the smoke cloud, looking for signs of the villains or his allies. He spotted Electrostatic and flew near to him.

"Have you seen anyone else?" Seraphim asked.

"Nah," Electrostatic replied. "Wait, there's Pathfinder!"

They looked and saw the scout pass out of the black cloud.

"Are you both well?" Seraphim asked of Pathfinder and Electrostatic.

Pathfinder did not respond.

"I'm OK," Electrostatic said, noting something strange about Pathfinder. "Has anyone seen the Scoundrel?"

"When last I saw him," Seraphim replied, "he was near Pathfinder." Seraphim looked at Pathfinder. "Where's the Scoundrel?"

Pathfinder returned only a blank look. "I... I don't know."

Watch for Scene 2, Coming Soon!

Last edited:

MnM_UH

First Post
We're All Learning.. And Learning Is A Good Thing!

I found out that the Thrown Range Increments vary by how much an item weighs. That would change Bombardier's thrown grenades, but I'm not going to go back and edit those combats. I'll include those rules from now on.

Basically, your thrown range increment for a "Light Load" is 40', for "Medium Load" it's 20', and for "Heavy Load" it's 10'. Until now I was using 10' for all thrown weapons.

I'm not sure what long-term effect this is going to have on Bombardier's stats since his "Thrown Weapon Range" flaw is just about moot. For example, the Nega-Bomb is a +8 power, so it would have a range increment of 40, but since it's a Light Load for Bombardier (weighs a pound or two), it's the same as if it didn't have the flaw.

What I might do is create a flaw that halves the area of effect for his powers. As it is, he hits just about everyone on the map with one of his grenades, and I think that's pretty silly.

UH Editor

MnM_UH

First Post

Scene 2: "Minding the Store"

MorningStar looked at Iron Dragon, who may or may not have fallen asleep. Sometimes, the Asian hero meditated, but it was hard to tell whether he was meditating or sleeping.

She got up and walked around the meeting room to stretch her legs. It had been a good three weeks since she used her powers for real. Hack and Slash, a pair of goons with magic weapons, were the last villains MorningStar had tangled with. Sure, she could amuse herself by cooking microwave popcorn from across the room and turning into pure flame to entertain Electrostatic and Harpy, but these uses of her powers were nothing compared to cooking a bad guy with a column of fire!

Where is Harpy? MorningStar wondered. Their fearless leader had wandered off more than twenty minutes ago to check her email and had not returned. Iron Dragon couldn't be left here alone -- what if the guys called in and he was asleep?

"Be right back," MorningStar said to Iron Dragon, who nodded slightly, indicating that he was indeed meditating and not sleeping.

She took off, and slowly flew through the mansion. When she took flight, MorningStar's costume emitted small flames, creating a trail behind her as she went. She stopped to admire herself in a full-length mirror. Am I getting fat? she mused while looking over her figure in the form-fitting body-suit.

Don't be ridiculous, Harpy replied in her mind.

MorningStar turned to see Harpy standing at her side, giving her a disapproving look. "Don't do that," MorningStar demanded.

Harpy only smiled. Do what? she replied via telepathy.

"AAAAAAUGH!" MorningStar cried out, frustrated, and flew upstairs and through a balcony leading to the back lot of the estate. She did not appreciate Harpy snooping around in her mind, and MorningStar wasn't the only one. Some of the others were concerned about Harpy spying on their thoughts as well. Electostatic was particularly concerned, since he had something to hide, although he wasn't hiding it very well from those members without telepathy.

MorningStar flew above the Olympic-sized swimming pool, and wondered what had happened to Torpedo. He left a while ago, she thought. He didn't decide to go back to Atlantis, did he?

She continued to fly around the manor grounds, looking for anything to do that would interest her.

"That MorningStar sure is vain," Harpy complained to a meditating Iron Dragon.

"Yes..." the Asian hero replied, trying desperately to ignore Harpy's attempt to chat.

Harpy played with her hair for a little while, pacing back and forth across the room. She kept looking at Iron Dragon, who was doing his best to pretend she wasn't there. Harpy didn't particularly like being ignored.

"Maybe I should go to the studio," she suggested. After all, there was an album to complete, although no one would be there today to work the boards.

Iron Dragon did not respond.

"Or I could go to the gym," Harpy said. "But I hate going there by myself..."

Her companion opened his eyes finally and turned to look at Harpy. "We cannot leave," he said. "Who would be here to man the communications?"

"MorningStar is here," Harpy answered. "She can watch everything."

"You cannot be serious," Iron Dragon said. "MorningStar would be here alone. Is that wise?"

Harpy frowned and turned from ID. "I guess I'm just bored sitting around waiting for something to happen."

The communications array buzzed and blinked. Harpy moved to the panel to respond to the call. "United Heroes, Harpy here."

"Harpy," the voice on the other line replied, "this is Torpedo. I'm here in San Francisco Bay, near the piers."

"Great," she responded. "Have you found anything yet?"

"Not really anything of value to the investigation. I've looked around the area where the Scoundrel said he encountered those goons, but there's nothing new here."

"Maybe you should come back then," Harpy suggested.

"I'll return in ten minutes," Torpedo said and ended the conversation.

"Unfortunate," Iron Dragon said. "I was hoping that whomever stole the cylinder would be foolish enough to take it back there."

"I bet Seraphim and the others will come up with something," Harpy said hopefully.

MorningStar came back inside after her tour of the grounds, and landed in the foyer. I wonder what Fang's like, she wondered. He's still in that cage. Maybe I can talk to him and find out more about what's going on.

She found Fang asleep in the makeshift prison. The bestial villain was laying on his side, almost like a dog. MorningStar looked him over, and wondered how he had once been human-looking.

Fang stirred and awoke. Maybe he realized I was watching him, she considered.

"Uh, hi, Fang," she said nervously.

The beast sniffed the air and turned to gaze upon MorningStar. "Mmm. Another tasty female."

"Thanks, I guess," she replied. She wasn't sure what to say next.

"Maybe you let me go," Fang said.

MorningStar was a little shocked by this suggestion. "I can't let you go, Fang," she said. "I think they're going to hand you over to the police."

"I hope so," Fang said. "Police are weak. I can escape them."

She turned away from the cell. "They're not going to put you in a normal jail, Fang," she said. "Probably a super-prison, you know, like Maritane or something."

"My master will come for me," Fang said.

MorningStar turned to look at the captive villain. "Who is your master?"

Fang smiled. "You will know him when he comes to get me out of here," he replied.

MorningStar wondered what that meant as she walked back to the meeting room. Maybe someone would come for Fang. What if the heroes weren't ready for an attack?

Watch for Scene 3, Coming Soon!

Remove ads