• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

{Mutants & Masterminds} United Heroes Limited Series

MnM_UH

First Post
Issue #8 - "Blazing" (Continued)

Scene 3: "Open-Ended"

Torpedo washed on shore and made his way to Hadley Manor. It's wasn't a terribly long walk; the manor had its own beachfront. When he arrived, Torpedo was surprised to find that only Harpy, MorningStar, Iron Dragon, and Pathfinder were there.

"I've returned from Atlantis," he announced.

The others in the room bore concerned looks on their faces.

"... with news on the Chaos Engine and the relationship between Trickster and the Atlanteans," he continued.

Harpy had a steadfast look, the sternest of all of them. "Seraphim, Electrostatic, and the Scoundrel are gone," she stated.

"What do you mean by gone?" Torpedo demanded.

"Gone, man," MorningStar replied. "One minute, they're here and the next, poof!"

"Did this happen on the island?" the Atlantean asked.

"Yeah, here's the situation," Iron Dragon replied. "We found the bad guys -- they were all on the island. Some of them (I didn't see which ones) used some kind of dimensional gateway to escape. Seraphim, Scoundrel, and Electrostatic jumped through the gate just before it closed. I -- I was too slow to make it."

"So what happened to them?" Torpedo asked.

"We have no idea," Pathfinder said. "I could not determine their location. They were not on Earth."

"Not on Earth?" Torpedo shot back. "What does that mean? They went into space?"

"Well, no," Harpy replied. "An interdimensional portal would send them into another dimension. Another reality, if you will."

"This is unbelievable," the Atlantean answered. "So what now?"

"Now," Harpy said. "We wait."

"I certainly hope we're not wasting time on these fools," Bombardier said.

Trickster was not amused. "Everything is going according to my plan," he said. "Those United Heroes," he said, laughing. "Just another incarnation of a group that once tried to foil my plans. They are gone, and so soon will be these futile would-be heroes."

"What dost thou mean?" Cyber-Knight asked.

Trickster swung around in his console chair, away from the large screen he had been facing. "There was a time, perhaps ten years ago, when another group calling itself the United Heroes were my mortal enemies. At the time, I was not as experienced as I am now, and I made many mistakes. This particular group of heroes stopped many of my plans, so I gathered a group of fellow anarchists and we counter-attacked the heroes. It was back-and-forth until I discovered a way to get rid of them permanently. I sent them away!" He laughed.

"Sent them away?" Bombardier asked. "How?"

"Mana was very helpful in this regard," Trickster replied. "She and I tricked them into stepping into a portal, and they were sent to another dimension. Ingenious, if you think about it."

"Um, not to rain on your parade or anything," Surge said. "But where exactly did she send them?"

"Oh, I don't remember," Trickster replied. "It's not important. What matters is that they're gone now, and out of my hair."

"I don't suppose she sent them to Pandemonium," Surge suggested.

"Well, I... I suppose I could ask Mana," Trickster said. "I really don't remember. Hmm..."

"It matters little," Cyber-Knight declared. "Naught shall deter us from ultimate victory."

"Ahem," Surge said. "I really hate to be a bother. Wait a minute... no, I dont! Anyway, what if your old friends met up with our new friends, or our allies for that matter?"

"Any chance they know what we're up to?" Bombardier asked.

Trickster stood up and walked toward a window overlooking the open sea. "That would be quite troubling," he said.

Watch for Scene 4, Coming Soon!

Allanon

Explorer
Loving every issue... :D
After coming this far into the story I just went to the store I bought MnM... and I can't wait to get started. Thanks for a great story hour MnM_UH :)

MnM_UH

First Post
Thanks for the compliments, Allanon. I just wish I had more time to work on this story. I've been pretty busy lately with work, school, RL games, etc.

Insight

Adventurer
Editorial Note

Just wanted to let the readers know I'm now posting under this user name. I have too many aliases, so I'm consolidating everything into one name.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled programming...

ZapCap

First Post
Hey!

My first post! But I just had to say that I've really enjoyed the story hour and was pretty disappointed to hear that we've been cut down to ten issues instead of the proposed twelve.

The United Heroes bring back that warm fuzzy feeling that I used to get when Mom would buy me an action comic with the grocery order (some time ago now!).

I also wanted to say that the format is really great! Seeing the rules demonstrated along with lively text has encouraged me to buy MnM too! Green Ronin should thank you!

Anyway, us regular readers appreciate the work and want to encourage you.

Thanks!

ZapCap

Insight

Adventurer
I'm toying with a couple of ideas beyond this Limited Series. Right now, I'd just like to finish it so it's done. I know that might not make a lot of sense, but there are a lot of stories that are never finished, so I'd like to be able to say "OK, I'm done."

But that doesn't mean that these characters or settings are going to disappear. I'm just looking for that first landmark on the voyage.

One reason why I changed the user name was so that I could also branch out and do non-MnM stories too. One idea I have is to do an 'action movie' story hour. It should be a lot of fun. I'm also going to do a 'United Heroes Origins' mini-series when this one has been completed.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer

First, I'm going to post the "bad guys" for the upcoming combat. Here they are:

Acrobat Ace
Darren Mathers
188 PP

PL 12; Init +17; Defense 32; Spd 50 Run; ATK +11 Melee (+0S Dam, Punch), +12 Ranged (+9S/L Dam, Razor-Rings); SV Dam +2, Fort +2, Ref +15, Will +3; STR 10, DEX 20, CON 15, INT 13, WIS 12, CHA 16; Hero Points 7.
Skills: Acrobatics +26, Balance +21, Bluff +11, Escape Artist +15, Jump +10, Perform +8, and Taunt +13.
Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Finesse, Attack Focus – Ranged, Dodge, Evasion, Expertise, Hero’s Luck, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Stand, Iron Will, Leadership, Lightning Reflexes, Move-By Attack, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Rapid Shot, Throwing Mastery, and Whirlwind Attack.
Powers: Mental Protection +4 [Source: Training; Cost: 8 PP], Super-Dexterity +4 [Source: Mutation; Cost: 16 PP], and Super-Speed +4 [Extra: Spinning (Extra: Blade Storm (Extra: Selective)); Source: Mutation; Cost: 40 PP].
Equipment: Razor-Rings [Strike – Ranged (Kinetic) +9; Power Stunt: Stun or Lethal; Source: Super-Science; Cost: 10 PP].
Weakness: None.

Puncture Proof
Luther McAllister
183 PP

PL 12; Init +1; Defense 14; Spd 30 Run, 50 Fly; ATK +13 Melee (+9S Dam, Punch), +8 Ranged (+0S Dam, None); SV Dam +9, Fort +14, Ref +4, Will +4; STR 20, DEX 13, CON 20, INT 13, WIS 12, CHA 15; Hero Points 6.
Skills: Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +11, Knowledge – Business +10, Listen +5, Profession – CEO +9, Sense Motive +6, and Spot +5.
Feats: Aerial Combat, Attack Focus – Unarmed, Detect Magic, Durability, Great Fortitude, Immunity – Critical Hits, Leadership, Move-By Attack, Power Attack, Rapid Healing, Takedown Attack, and Toughness.
Powers: Amazing Save – Fortitude +5 [Source: Mystical; Cost: 5 PP], Amazing Save – Reflex +3 [Source: Mystical, Cost: 3 PP], Amazing Save – Will +3 [Source: Training; Cost: 3 PP], Flight +10 [Source: Mystical; Cost: 20 PP], Protection +10 [Extra: Impervious; Flaw: Only against Kinetic attacks; Source: Mystical; Cost: 20 PP], Regeneration +5 [Source: Mystical; Cost: 10 PP], Super-Constitution +2 [Source: Mystical; Cost: 8 PP], and Super-Strength +4 [Source: Mystical; Cost: 16 PP].
Equipment: None.
Weakness: None.

Sam Wylde
No Pseudonym
154 PP

PL 10; Init +10; Defense 18; Spd 40 Run; ATK +12 Melee (+0S Dam, Punch or Transfer), +12 Ranged (+0S Dam, None); SV Dam +5, Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +2; STR 10, DEX 18, CON 17, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 15; Hero Points 5.
Skills: Acrobatics +10, Bluff +4, Disable Device +6, Escape Artist +10, Hide +10, Intimidate +5, Jump +6, Listen +11, Move Silently +10, Open Locks +12, Sleight of Hand +7, Spot +11, and Survival +8(14 for Tracking).
Feats: Attack Finesse, Great Fortitude, Improved Init, Lightning Reflexes, Talented (Disable Device & Open Locks), Talented (Hide & Move Silently), Toughness, and Track.
Powers: Force Field +5 [Source: Mutation; Cost: 5 PP], Super-Senses +6 [Source: Mutation; Cost: 12 PP], Super-Speed +2 [Source: Mutation; Cost: 12 PP], and Transfer +8 [Ability Scores & Powers; Extras: Additional Attribute, All Attributes of Category, Up to 4 PP/Level in Cost; Flaw: Transfer Weakness; Source: Mutation; Cost: 48 PP].
Equipment: None.
Weakness: Berserker.

Insight

Adventurer

Scene 4: "Paradigm in Flux" - Combat Round 1

Note: I've done a little formatiing change for the combat text. I hope eveyone likes it.

{First thing to take care of is initiative, of course. Electrostatic gets 26, the Scoundrel gets 31, and Seraphim gets 13, while Acrobat Ace gets 33, Puncture Proof gets 14, and Sam Wylde gets 18. The order then is: Acrobat Ace, The Scoundrel, Electrostatic, Sam Wylde, Puncture Proof, and Seraphim.}

Acrobat Ace looked at his companion. "Sam," he said. "You know what to do..." With that, the pair split up.

"So, let's see here," Acrobat Ace said as he cross the field of battle with ease, jumping here and there. "Who wants to be first?" He produced a razor-sharp metal ring from his bracers and, with great dexterity, flung it at his speed toward the Scoundrel.

"Hey watch it," the Scoundrel replied, easily sidestepping the attack. "You could hurt someone with that."

{Acrobat Ace assigns +1 to his DEF (Dodge), and uses a Free Action to activate Leadership. Using All-Out Attack, Ace lowers his DEF by 3 and increases his Attack Roll by 3. As a Half Action, he moves 50' to get within range, and uses another Half Action to throw a Razor-Ring at the Scoundrel (DEF 28), but misses with 21.}

"Speaking of hurting someone," the Scoundrel said as he balanced himself, the hero drew his mystic Hellfire Pistols and aimed them at his bounding foe. "How about a taste of these babies?" The Scoundrel fired twin fiery blasts at Acrobat Ace, who deftly and with little effort evaded both missiles.

{The Scoundrel assigns +1 to his DEF (Dodge) and draws his Hellfire Pistols as a Free Action. He takes a 5' step, and then, as a Full Action, takes two shots at Acrobat Ace (DEF 30), missing twice with 23 and 20.}

This guy sure has some moves, Electrostatic realized. But so do I. The electric hero powered himself up and took an alternate tack en route to Acrobat Ace. When he was in position, Electrostatic fired a lightning bolt just where Acrobat Ace was standing, but the foe saw Electrostatic coming and jumped straight up, dodging the blast.

"C'mon guys," Acrobat Ace said. "You're gonna have to try harder than that."

{Electrostatic assigns +1 to his DEF (Dodge) and uses a Free Action to activate his Energy Field. As a Half Action, he moves 20' toward Acrobat Ace, and then as another Half Action, fires his Energy Blast at Acrobat Ace (DEF 30), missing with 28.}

Sam Wylde grinned as she noted her opponents' actions so far. They seemed disinterested in waht she was doing, which served her purposes all the more. Her hands tingled with power and excitement as she approached Electrostatic and the Scoundrel. The one with the hat, she thought. He's mine.

{Sam Wylde activates her Force Field as a Free Action. She then uses a Full Round Action to move 75' toward Electrostatic and the Scoundrel.}

Up top, near the maze and the glowing sphere in its center, things were also heating up. Puncture Proof took the most direct route toward his target, the angelic Seraphim, who had not even drawn his weapon as of yet.

"You look like an angel," Puncture Proof pointed out. "But I know better. You're another one of the goons he sent in here for the Paradigm Flux Generator, huh? Inventive son of a gun, ain't he?" The flying Puncture Proof barreled into Seraphim, who was caught a little off-guard and smashed into a maze wall behind him.

The blast was not enough to knock him out cold, but Seraphim realized Puncture Proof was nearly his equal in combat.

{Puncture Proof assigns +1 to his Attack Rolls (Aerial Combat), and adds +5 to his Damage while taking -5 from his Attack Rolls (Power Attack) for this round. He charges 15' at Seraphim (DEF 19), but misses with 15. Puncture Proof spends a Hero Point to re-roll, and this time hits with 22. Seraphim needs to make a Damage save (DC 19), and fails with 11. Seraphim spends a Hero Point to re-roll the save, and this time succeeds with 25. Using Move-By Attack, Puncture Proof continues another 45' past Seraphim after the attack.}

"I do not know who may have sent you here," Seraphim said as he drew his sword. "But I will do everything in my heavenly power to send you back from whence you came!"

He looked down at his allies. "Electro, Scoundrel," he said. "Spread out. They might have area attacks."

"As for you," Seraphim said to Puncture Proof, "I will show you and your master Trickster the error of your ways!"

{Seraphim uses a Free Action to activate his Leadership, and assigns +1 to his DEF (Aerial Combat). He uses a Half Action to draw his Sword of Truth, and another Half Action to attempt to Intimidate Puncture Proof. Seraphim gets 20 (DC 14), and succeeds, but strangely, Puncture Proof does not comply...}

This ends Combat Round 1.

Watch for Round 2, Coming Soon!

Remove ads