• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My 13 year old Daughter and her friends are playing D&D in the Kitchen...

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Hey TB, great story. Must be fun listening in on the wackiness...

I've got my sister's boys hooked.

Oh and of course, I DM stewardesses. :D

Breakdaddy

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
...The Players, as they are leaving a town where they just traded a Merchant's Daughter they rescued for a reward of a "Basket of Apples that change the color of your hair when you eat them" ( :\ ), are suddnly ambushed by a Giant, hopping Brain which appears to be spitting arrows at them.

They are understandably freaked out and spurr their horses to get away from the brain. On of the girls throws a spear at the brain, and it screams, and from inside it run two goblins--one of whom was Carrying the "Brain Costume" and looking out a hole, while the other fired a crossbow out the hole he was looking out of. The one who could see was basically "directing the fire" of the crossbowman.

They turn around and massacre the goblins, and find a Talking, flying Cat as treaure.

TB, you probably shouldnt share your stash with your kids... :p

Seriously though, sounds like fun, I never got ANY flying cats in any of my games, now I feel kind of deprived...FLYING CATS FOR EVERYONE in our next session!!!

eris404

Explorer
Teflon Billy said:
What've you got against that dude that hangs out with them?

Absolutely nothing. I have nothing against the guys in my gaming group either, but it's still pretty cool when just the girls get together and game.

Actually, on second thought, I feel kinda bad now. :( I wouldn't want to be excluded and wouldn't want anyone to feel left out. I withdraw my suggestion.

AIM-54

First Post
SWBaxter said:
It's a day when teachers (are supposed to) go on courses and seminars, so the kids get the day off school. Might just be a Canadian thing, I dunno.

Canada is great. When I and some friends first started playing D&D around grade 7 (25 years ago, geez I feel old), one of our teachers set aside an afternoon for us to teach the whole class. We had about five games running, as I recall - I remember being really nervous because the teacher herself was in the group I was DMing. A few years later in high school (grade 11), one of my English teachers asked to join our D&D group; he'd read about the game but never found anybody who played until he heard us talking about it. Played a psychopathic Dwarf fighter, IIRC. I might just be lucky, but I was never treated badly by teachers and such for D&D.

It depends. As a middle schooler in Saskatoon, we were certainly not encouraged in this endeavor and had at least one teacher that was openly hostile. Didn't really stop us, but it did make it more difficult to play and I ended up not playing again until high school.

jester47

First Post
Heh, that guy is gonna think that popular girls playing D&D is the norm. Man he might be in for a wake up call! I can just see it 20 years from now! How he never stops talking about how he the popular kids played D&D. And no one believes him!

No this is good news. I posted that played D&D on my churches messageboards, and got a slew of gamer culture stuff (The REno 911 clip, the lightening bolt LARP footage, a tale about an asaimar, and several other D&D jokes). But I go to a very conservative but still very weird church. They are beyond the D&D is evil. They think everything is a gift from the Big Guy, but they are really conservative on the theology.

Looks like things are chaninging for the better in Canada and Quasi-Canada (aka Washington state).

gideonn

First Post
And. TM, the best thing you are doing is just kinda watching, and sharing with us about it. We can enjoy their youthful exuberance and creativity vicariously. The moment you, or any of us, were to join in, chime in, or try to fit in, their game would become your/our game and their fun would be gone.

If, and only if, they ask, then, well maybe it will be OK. Gen Con, or any Con, is way down the road. And, never suggest they write their adventures. That would make it homework, not play. That idea has to come from within.

Here in Quebec we call them Professional Days casue we teachers go about improving ourselves as professionals. And, it it OK to laugh at that one.

Altalazar

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
It's a Professional Development day for their school and they--the pretty, popular girls (and one boy)--are in there playing D&D.

The world has gone mad.

Did you introduce her to gaming? She use your books? My first one is on the way, and I'd love it if she loved gaming as much as I do... but we'll see.

palleomortis

First Post
Laurel said:
It's always great to hear how the game is being passed on, and it sounds like in many cases the kids are intrigued on their own- even better!!!

We love it. My dad started me off at around 10, I'm now 16, and have brought aboute 6 people into d&d overall. It's simply a fact of life that there is, and never will be, a game better than d&d.:D ;) :D

Eolin

Explorer
I've seen something similiar.

About a month ago now, I was substitute teaching at a local high school.

Across the street is a comic book store. Like any good geek, I went over there at lunch. Started reading through Preacher again.

Then in came the comic book geeks. I was expecting homely guys. I figured they'd grab comic books and start reading, like ya do.

Instead, its a crowd of 3 or 4 pretty young girls, with a couple guys who seem to be mostly following them. They sit down and tread comics, and actually interact with each other. One looks at me and asks "Arn't you my sub?" Being truth, I say "Yep, I sure am.' To which they all respond with something like: "WOW, its sooo cool that you're in here."

It was nice. I started going routinely -- until I lost the job for being to truthful in a class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads