My 5-year-old son defeated his first dragon...

Gadodel

First Post
Oh, ok. Curious: what method have you used to discuss the violence in the game? Surely you've mentioned good versus evil...but has he asked questions you were not expecting?

I've gamed with young people before, but it is always a good thing to learn new ways to explain the action. ;)

csw

First Post
Hi, I'm new around here--a friend pointed out this thread . . .

My son is getting interested in RPG; he's 9. We're having fun exploring rules together and making up characters. I started when I was 12 (the original D&D boxed set). My middle school friends got me into it; our administrators actually let us use a classroom after school about twice a week.

When I was 19 or 20, I worked at a community center where independent instructors offered various and sundry classes. During the summer, I offered a D&D "class" for kids ages 10-13. I had about 12 kids join up (and some were younger than 10, brother/sisters of other players). Really, it was just an organized gaming session. That was 2 decades ago!

The comment about "throwing a big party" brought back lots of memories from that summer. I learned just as much from those kids as they learned from me. I helped them to delve into more than just "hack and slash" (such as developing their characters, forming a team, interacting with NPCs and so on). They helped me remember that it was all about having fun and that a DM should never let rules get in the way of genuine imagination.

Violence was an issue. Because parents were paying for the kids to attend--and I wanted them to learn about role playing--I downplayed the violence. Sure, they had battles. But I tried to steer them toward the detective element of the adventure. We played the "The Village of Hommlet."

Last edited:

Remove ads