• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My AD&D game is dead

Quasqueton

First Post
I haven't seen a "I'm quitting D&D" thread in a little while, so when I came across this old one, I thought I'd post it.

Dragon #189, January 1993, "Forum" letter:
I thought I would never say this: My AD&D campaign has died. I started playing the AD&D 1st Edition game back in 1985, and I was a steady player until about three months ago. Lately, I realized that I no longer enjoyed the game. The preparation of an adventure for my players became tedious and bothersome, more an irritating exercise than a hobby. All the adventures seemed repetitive, including many prepared ones. I had a terrible thought one day: A bunch of guys can only get together and impersonate gnomes or whatever running around in creature-filled mazes for so long before it becomes old news. Many would say it was the fault of the DM for not keeping the campaign fresh. In my case, I tried everything: the SPELLJAMMER, RAVENLOFT, and FORGOTTEN REALMS settings; my own setting; psionics; character-class kits; etc. I spent a great deal of money and time in the process. My game was still dead.

I am not putting down the AD&D game, although I realize it sounds that way. [snip - couple of paragraphs]
[Deleted comment - I was being humorous, but it didn't come across that way.]

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Odhanan

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
Who says trolling started with Internet message boards?

Quasqueton

How does that constitute trolling, exactly? Because you don't agree with the guy? Because you find him ridiculous? Because he fails to explain his reasons in logical terms to you?

He's not a troll. He's just a guy with an issue with the game, and he doesn't see the end of the tunnel. Providing him with advice, input is all he needs. Or maybe he just needs to write to Dragon to solve his issue for himself.

Yeah, not trolling in the least. Sounds like you didn't like what he had to say and labelled it trolling.

This thread may be more about you than you realize, OP.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Odhanan said:
How does that constitute trolling, exactly?

Yeah. I was wondering that, myself. This guy isn't openly attacking anybody or anything, merely sharing about how his personal game went down. I see no malicious intent here. Contrast this with a hypothetical guy posting to a communtiy dedicated specifically to a game that he hates and dropping "3etard" references with the express intent of stirring up discontent. That is trolling. Your guy seems like he's just asking for some advice.

Quasqueton

First Post
This thread may be more about you than you realize, OP.
Yeah, it might show that I have a <gasp> sense of humor!

The "trolling" comment is just a snicker at the last line I quoted: "I am not putting down the AD&D game, although I realize it sounds that way." This line is almost always found in a good troll on an Internet message board.

I'm going to delete my comment on the letter because it is not being taken the way I meant it. <shrug> It's drawing more attention and response than the letter itself.

Quasqueton

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
It is interesting to note that the problems we have faced with 3e (and undoubtedly will in 4e) were very much the same sort of problems we had in those days.

I'm curious what advice Dragon gave.

Numion

First Post
Dragonhelm said:
It is interesting to note that the problems we have faced with 3e (and undoubtedly will in 4e) were very much the same sort of problems we had in those days.

Quasqueton has done a lot of threads providing material from ye olden times, proving how all the "ills created by 3E" were already there. Only thing left for him to do is to find accusations of 1E being anime :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads