• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Alternate Priest / Paladin classes

StGabe

First Post
For my homegrown campaign I have rewritten priests and paladins. In this campaign there are 8 religions or "houses" (actually there is a 9th but that's a recent revelation). I have a priest class for each house, each with a different spell list and set of abilities although all share the same core mechanics (hit die, BAB, saves, spell progression). They are all spontaneous casters with fairly restricted spells, have a lower hit die than the core class, and less weapon proficiency, but get a lot of flavorful abilities along the way that help make up for their lost martial prowess and also get rid of "dead" levels.

Similarly there are a number of Paladin orders attached to these houses. For these I have kept basically the same mechanics except that I stripped out the casting progressions and added new abilities every level.

I have a priest and a paladin class both polished up enough to post, so let me know what you think. If people are interested I will continue to post the rest of the priest/paladin classes I've developed as soon as I get around to writing them up proper. Oh, and I've stripped out most of the campaign-specific text to make them ready to convert for another campaign setting. One thing to note is that my campaign has no alignments and so there are no alignment specific spells or text for these classes. I'm sure you could add that in as you saw fit although the classes are intended to be pretty "gritty" and "grey" interpretations and so IMO, alignment restrictions don't fit them terribly well.

Priest of Blood: http://www.st-gabe.com/dnd/blood_priest.doc
Paladin of Thorns: http://www.st-gabe.com/dnd/thorns_paladin.doc

Also, if you just have comments on their overall power, on rules that you don't think make sense, etc., those are quite welcome.

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
It might help if you cahnaged the link for the paladin calsss to point to the paladin document. Right now both links download the Blood Priest class.

Remove ads