• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My AWESOME improv campagain

Sporemine

First Post
Hi,
I started my new campagain with the Hollow world. It's set in an entirely hollow world (a joke between dieities) with the sun in the center and moons orbiting it. The outer portion of the world (the outerdark) is where the monsters live out their days, avoiding the light.

All would be well, but the monsters like the inner world, and all of its (delicious) inhabitants. But they are repelled by light and never go into it willingly.

Their opportunities to invde arise only when the moons pass the sun, blocking it and creating spots of darkness where they have the opportunity to pillage and destroy.

The campagain has been going well so far, with me coming up with about half of the content on the spot.

I will be detailing the encounters that I have run, along with what the pcs did in green.

I would like as much feedback as possible, and any ideas on where to take the campagain next.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Last edited:

I replied the last time you posted about your campaign. Sounds great, but you've got to change the name... "Where the Sun Doesn't Shine"? Ouch... doesn't exactly convey the gravitas for which I'm sure you were looking. :) Maybe English isn't your mother tongue?

Halivar

First Post
LOL, I gotta agree with Ulorian. Maybe, "The Outer Darkness"? Something that doesn't provoke scatological jokes (as funny as they are) at the table.

Sporemine

First Post
The PC's start in a stronghold called malos keep that has stood for hundreds of years. The only reason for this is the recent intervention of an old wizard, named Saan Malos. Before Malos, the keep was falling due to a massive act of treason crippling the armed forces. The previous leader, whose name is taboo, poisoned the soldiers and fled the keep, leving the women and children to fend for themselves.

Due to the intervention of Malos, disaster was averted and many lives were saved. To do this, in exchange for a large measure of his power, he opened a portal to mechanus (the first ever) letting inevitables rush out to fight the "evil" and "chaos."

After that, it became their base of operations.

Now, for various reasons, the PC's find themselves seeking shelter in malos keep. Their first objective is to make a strike at a nearby kobold warren that has been stricken with disease. Their objective is to steal a special type of elemental plant that retains a constant connection to the elemental plane of water. For that reason, water always flows out of the plant, which is very helpful during seige.

So yes, killing weak kobolds and plant kidnapping. But here's whre things get fun! The last SEVEN parties that have gone in haven't returned and are presumed dead (somebody did find an arm) and, to earn their keep (a room within the keep walls) they will need to try it too.

:D

Encounter numero uno:

As you descend into the warren, the walls slowly change from dirt to shaped stone. As you decend further the stench of rotting meat becomes apparent, strengthening as you descend. Around the next corner, coming from behind a partially open porticullus, there is the sound of growling, bones snapping, and kobold screams.

Yep, the infected ones (horribly mutated massive beasts) are eating the normal ones

The encounter is held in an 8x8 room, the players entering in a 10 foot (2 square) wide hallway. At the entrance to the room, there is a jammed porticullus (difficult terrain, any creature in the space grants combat advantage) add bodies (difficult terrain) to taste.

Inside the room, the encounter (for level 1) consists of:

2 dire kobolds

Dire Kobold
Level 3 Elite Brute
Medium Natural Humanoid (Reptilian)
XP 300
Initiative +3
Senses Perception +8
HP 108; Bloodied 54
AC 16; Fortitude 16, Reflex 16, Will 15
Saving Throws +2
Speed Action Points 1

:bmelee: Bite (Standard; at-will)
+6 Vs. AC, 1d10+3 damage and the target contracts filth fever.

:melee: Claw (Standard; at-will)
+4 Vs. Reflex, 1d10+3 and the target contracts filth fever.

:melee: ANGRY (Standard; recharge :3::4::5::6:)
The dire kobold makes two claw attacks and a bite attack.

Bloodied rage (Immediate Interupt; when bloodied)
The Dire kobold gains a +2 to all attacks and +4 to all damage when bloodied.

Alignment Unaligned
Languages -
Skills Stealth +9
Str 16 (+4) Dex 16 (+4) Wis 14 (+3) Con 16 (+4) Int 14 (+3) Cha 14 (+3)

4-8 Sickly Kobolds
Use the kobold minion stats in the monster manual

A fairly standard encounter for my party, they had surprise due to the UBER perception of the shaman. They focused on one dire, then the other, with the rogue (muffin) sneak attacking for massive damage. That coupled with the paladin (guy) smashing minions and the fighter (pierre) being a damage sponge made the battle easy. From there, the party took a short rest (pierre spent a surge) and went right. Straight to a locked door.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Last edited:

epicDM

First Post
Your world seems so simple, yet easily allowing room for lots of goodies. I'm impressed. I've got a deep campaign going on in Eberron. I should take some pointers from your posts.

Remove ads