My current character

diaglo

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
In creating a character, it may sound crazy, but as a player, I have way more fun than as a GM.

i have way more fun as a player too. as a referee i create them with a specific purpose/encounter in mind.

as a player i get to make a whole character. from start to finish.

(takes crib sheet for Bloodline of Fire and Practiced Spellcaster and Spell Thematics... anyone know where they're from off the top of their head?).

spell thematics is in Magic of Faerun iirc.

Mallus

Legend
I usually start off on a lark, and then very seriously try to flesh everthing out from there. It helps loosen my imagination, much like a nice Scotch.

For example, some recent PC's (and NPC's)

Grenache Shiraz named for a bottle of wine, he was a ex-monk and priest of a mechant god. He began as an accent; chain-smoking Jewish gangster. Eventually he evolved into a ardent free-trade advocate and capitalist. In Greyhawk.

"Eastwood" West, who's full name is Chana Saag Krishna-Ghandhi West, began as an image: a 7-ft tall, stick-thin Hindu man in overalls and a 10-gallon hat, with a tiny elephant sticking out of his beltpack. He's a sorceror from planet colonized by a crashed starship in Dragonstar.

Emeranza de Gallo, she's an NPC pirate queen and former beauty contest winner, who began as both an image: sassy redhead w/rapier in strappy magic sandals, and an accent: bad Italian diva.

Sir John Gaulstaff, a work in progress. "What if Falstaff were a Paladin?". See my "Bad Paladin" thread for more...

This is how I start. Eventually I look at the rules.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
In creating a character, it may sound crazy, but as a player, I have way more fun than as a GM.

I think what you call crazy is rather pretty normal... really! :)

And I obviously don't get them all as Thanee has pointed out some feats worth looking into (takes crib sheet for Bloodline of Fire and Practiced Spellcaster and Spell Thematics... anyone know where they're from off the top of their head?).

Yeah, I do. ;)

Player's Guide to Faerûn (BoF (regional feat - +2 caster level for fire-based spells), ST (+1 caster level for 1 spell/level)) and Complete Arcane (PS (up to +4 caster level, but no higher than your HD (+1 in your case, later +2 with EK PrC))).

Bye
Thanee

JoeGKushner

First Post
Steve, thanks for posting the character. It's interesting to note that despite his level, that his AC, is only 23. Does that make a big impact on how often he gets hit or is the GM running it more Swords & Sorcery style where you enemies aren't always quite your level or does the DR really help that much? Heck, even his iniative bonus is only +4 from dex.

Despite the levels, he doesn't seem so Epic that he can't relate to standard characters.I mean his stats are good, but usually, and this could be my experience, when I've seen such higher level characters, they'll usually have a few stats that are almost godlike, (talking 28+ here), and most of the others lower.

Thanee said:
Player's Guide to Faerûn (BoF (regional feat - +2 caster level for fire-based spells), ST (+1 caster level for 1 spell/level)) and Complete Arcane (PS (up to +4 caster level, but no higher than your HD (+1 in your case, later +2 with EK PrC))).

Bye
Thanee

Hmmm.. Well, the regional feat is out since I've already got Mind over Body but I'll have to take a look at the other two.

One thing with the Eldritch Knight, I was actually thinking of adding a few levels of the Human Paragon. The d8 hit dice and two levels of spell advancement is pretty sweet for a three level racail class.

Ghostwind

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Steve, thanks for posting the character. It's interesting to note that despite his level, that his AC, is only 23. Does that make a big impact on how often he gets hit or is the GM running it more Swords & Sorcery style where you enemies aren't always quite your level or does the DR really help that much? Heck, even his iniative bonus is only +4 from dex.
Well, considering that his opponents have BABs approximately equivalent, it tends to boil down to damage reduction and smart play. Having high hit points don't hurt either. :)

Despite the levels, he doesn't seem so Epic that he can't relate to standard characters.I mean his stats are good, but usually, and this could be my experience, when I've seen such higher level characters, they'll usually have a few stats that are almost godlike, (talking 28+ here), and most of the others lower.
I've seen epic characters boil down into one of two categories, blended stats or min/max stats. Typically, players that have been playing the game a long time or are really comfortable with epic play tend to have characters with more blended and uniform stats. On the other hand, those who like to min/max characters will take one or two stats and push them to the limit at the expense of other ability scores. I've had more than a couple of folks ask me to write up the way I create epic characters since they tend to be more blended and uniform. Maybe I'll do that someday... :)

Thanee

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
It's interesting to note that despite his level, that his AC, is only 23.

Well, at really high levels, you either need really high AC or you can neglect it altogether. ;)

Bye
Thanee

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Actually, I enjoy creating NPCs as much as PCs.

But that's because I usually create them without really thinking about the PCs.

I find the campaign more interesting when the PCs and their opponents have developed their skills without specifically seeking to counteract each other (or, conversely, the NPCs having specific weaknesses to the PCs). It seems to add more verisimilitude if the NPC opponent gained his powers the same way a PC would, by setting a goal for himself and then trying to achieve it.

Actually, in my current campaign, the PCs are more likely to adapt to and prepare for the known NPCs than vice versa, since they're often on assassination or spying missions against those NPCs.

The main thing I do is have NPCs who seem to match up well with the party show up more than ones who make for mismatched encounters. And of course, the players know that their characters' mission is to get in and out quickly and efficiently, not to slug it out with someone who turns out to be more than they can handle. They learned that real fast. :]

Remove ads