• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My D&D Game would suffer without Anime!!!!

BroccoliRage said:
Don't even get me started on the whole 'screaming out the name of your next kewl mewve' bit. Seriously, how stupid is that?
LOL. I actually don't mind that so much, but maybe that's all my years of playing Street Fighter games. :D

Otherwise, your post describes exactly my problems with anime, especially this:
BroccoliRage said:
I also get really frustrated when watching alot of anime, because it seems like there's such potential. Yet so much of it ultimately falls short.

BroccoliRage

First Post
GreatLemur said:
You've got an interesting definition of "anime".

Why? Because I'm not silly enough to limit categorization of a mass media medium to a supposed "appropriate country of origin"?

Anime isn't fine art. It may have been created by the Japanese, but if that's the definition of anime then the medium itslef would immediately be false. The art is not comparable to different cultural artforms that developed before this century, because widespread communication has rendered such a thing obsolete, particularly in the case of televised art. I could care less if fanboys agree or not. However, if we'll speak of stylistic differentiations and characteristics, then the medium is lent some credence.

Kishin

First Post
BroccoliRage said:
I also get really frustrated when watching alot of anime, because it seems like there's such potential. Yet so much of it ultimately falls short.

Ironically, this is a problem that plagues written fantasy as well. The bland always appears in greater quantities.

TheGreatLemur said:
You've got an interesting definition of "anime".

I'd say he's totally on target. Aeon Flux is riffing on 80s anime that the world became acquainted with, Avatar on the 90s. Anime has been exposed to the world long enough now that plenty of other countries aside from Japan have adopted it the art style and tropes for their own use.

GreatLemur

Explorer
BroccoliRage said:
Why? Because I'm not silly enough to limit categorization of a mass media medium to a supposed "appropriate country of origin"?
What's silly about it? The word's accepted defintion is "animation from Japan". Properly defined, "anime" is neither a medium nor a style, just one particular culture's use of a larger medium. If we're going to define "anime" a "everything using anime- or manga-influenced style", then it's still not a medium, genre, or art form, just a style. And, weirdly, one that doesn't cover a whole lot of actual animation from Japan.

You can use the word how you want, but most folks say "anime-style" when they're referring to the type of thing you're talking about.

Kishin said:
Ironically, this is a problem that plagues written fantasy as well. The bland always appears in greater quantities.
For me, it's not blandness that kills most anime I watch for me. It's bad dialogue (and delivery of said dialogue--although I am giving a bit of a pass to the stuff because of possible translation problems), badly constructed and executed plots, boring characters that I can't relate to, cultural gulf between me and the creators that isn't being successfully crossed, or some combination of any and all of those features.

If you factor in blandness, well it's no surprise that there's only about half a dozen or so anime's that I actually consider good enough to recommend.
GreatLemur said:
What's silly about it? The word's accepted defintion is "animation from Japan". Properly defined, "anime" is neither a medium nor a style, just one particular culture's use of a larger medium. If we're going to define "anime" a "everything using anime- or manga-influenced style", then it's still not a medium, genre, or art form, just a style. And, weirdly, one that doesn't cover a whole lot of actual animation from Japan.

You can use the word how you want, but most folks say "anime-style" when they're referring to the type of thing you're talking about.
Who's most folks? I'd venture to guess that most folks don't actually know the country of origin of something like Avatar or Code Lioco (sic?) or something like that; they just look at it and call it anime because it looks like anime. Teen Titans possibly excepted, because the anime style there is clearly just an affectation.

Kishin said:
Ironically, this is a problem that plagues written fantasy as well. The bland always appears in greater quantities..
This is just Sturgeon's Revelation: 90% of everything is crud*.

I'm still trying to figure how the OP's campaign is influenced by something several people argue does not exist as a style. :)

Personally, I don't like the animation style usually attributed as Anime. I do however love plenty of Manga.

Ranger REG

Explorer
BRP2 said:
Pokemon and One Piece wouldn't be what I consider the same genre.
Though the styles are different, they both embodies the use of face faults.

One Piece does remind me of the original Dragon Ball series.

BRP2 said:
I don't know why people watch anime so much... manga is superior in just about every way. And I'm not even talking about dubbed anime.
Meh. You watch anime (like animated series), you read manga (like comic books).

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

Japanese cartoons I like:

PATLABOR: THE MOVIE (I & II)
GHOST IN THE SHELL (movie, which was way, way better than the nigh-unreadable comic book of the same name)
AKIRA (The Pioneer DVD - you know, the one with dialogue that actually makes sense)
MACROSS PLUS (the series; never seen the movie)
WINGS OF HOMINYMAYONAISE (I know that's not what it's called but I can't be bothered to traipse across the house to look at the DVD case...)
CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO (I like both my old Streamline VHS copy and the later one that came out. Both are good, to me.)

With the exception of CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO I don't view any of these as story/inspiration fodder for a D&D game...and frankly, CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO would really work a lot better with Hero System.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads