My Deluxe Character Sheet - please rate and critique!

I rate this character sheet...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I gave it an 8.

* I especially liked the expanded slots for knowledge, craft etc.
* the addition of languages is a nice touch
* the flavour text under each heading gave me a chuckle. :)
* Kudos for adding the turning check table.

My major gripe with the sheet is the same gripe I have with just about every 3.x sheet; it's too damn large! I come from the old school D&Ders... you know, the ones that had all pertinent character information on ONE piece of paper. With the way the system is these days, it's just not possible. Even the Blue Rose sheet is at least two pages...

But I digress. For the sheer amount of stats and information that 3.x throws around, you cover all the necessary bases and then some.

A few suggestions:
* Your space for Feats/Abilities is HUGE. You might be able to get away with half that space and squeeze in a "summed up" version of combat stats for quick reference.

Aus_Snow

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
If I trusted someone I don't know enough to download a potential virus, I would take a look.
:confused: Uh, don't you think someone would've posted a warning already if there was a virus in it?

Also, how about using a virus scanner (even a free one, of which there are several) and/or an operating system other than Windows?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
I like it overall rated it a 7. I do wonder why there are so many slots for the Appraise and Survival skills. Is that a Forgotten Relams thing? The comments under each of the main headings, while some are witty, I would get rid of to increase the font size of the headings themselves.

jinx crossbow

First Post
I hated it, because its in DOC format!
I dont want to use this fileformat because its not open for everyone.
If you convert your document to PDF, i will give it a secound chance.

Jinx

KB9JMQ

First Post
I voted a 6. I think your layout is fine but your page 2 would be my front page.

My only negative reaction is that it is not easy on the eyes. That might be due to it not being filled out but may be ok when it is.

I viewed using Open Office so that might have something to do with it.

Last edited:

Woas

First Post
Not very helpful to me as I don't used Forgotten Realms. The list of languages are not helpful as I do not use any of those languages. For me, info like hit points, AC and saves are a must on the first page. If you deleted the Max Skill Points and Noteable Skill Mods boxes and replaced them with AC, HP and saves that would be cool -even shortening the special abilities/feat list would help. The list of proficiencies is odd... I guess I'm just used to writing my proficiences in the feats section.

But it's still a good job overall. Definetly useable and nice that it is a .doc file and can be easily moved around with little work. Skills on the front page is a must, and feats/special abilities is good too. If I played in the Realms I'm sure it would be much more appreciated.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I voted 4. I think the quality of the formatting looks great, but the placement and choice of elements wasn't to my taste.

In my own mind the majority of a character should fit on 1 page. Something for quick, easy reference.

A 2nd page would probably work better as a combat page. Found yourself in combat? Flip the sheet over. ALL the combat stats are there. The basics: AC, HP, spell DCs, weapons, armor, etc. But with an entire page more is possible: multiple weapon options, common combat tactics, battle yells, and whatever other little notes.

Personally, I think everyone needs a journal or master item & info log too. This could be done as a multiple 3rd sheet template. I'd include: a long list of NPCs known, Places visited or known, contacts & followers, interesting bits of info discovered, basic equipment is here, and magic items, weird items, gems & jewelry, any items not with the character including homes, castles, and mounts. Basically, anything that would probably be remembered by the character, but forgotten by the player between sessions. Also famililiar/companion stats could fit, but maybe not.

Wyrm Pilot

First Post

I like the layout, and how much material it includes, but there are three reasons I will not use it as-is or tweak it for my own use:
1. The mix of text boxes & body text is awkward.
2. If one does not have the Ringbearer font, one gets some pretty odd-looking text. Note that if you made it a PDF, you could embed the font so this wouldn't be an issue.
3. It doesn't calculate anything. I may as well use the WoTC-published character sheets if I have to do all the math myself.

Otherwise it's bitchin', though.

Cheers!

sjmiller

Explorer
Hairfoot said:
It seems the stat numbers get cut off at the bottom unless I reduce it 6-point, which makes it tiny. Perhaps squeeze down the "Skill Points (max/min)" box and give the stats some vertical breathing space.
If the text boxes used to make the stat fields are tweeked they will work fine. The tweek is to reduce the internal margins on the top and bottom to zero. Then the 10 pt TNR text fits.

The one thing I would kill are the supposedly funny descriptions for each category. I personally do not find them funny, nor are they of any use. They just take up space, which is at a premium on any character sheet.

Then there's my pet peeve about using spaces when you should use tab stops. That's a long standing personal annoyance, something I would correct if I were to use the sheets.

I am also not terribly fond of all the text boxes being used, but I know it is a pain to do it with tables. Word is not the most DTP friendly application, so it makes creating a character sheet more of a challange.

sjmiller

Explorer
Wyrm Pilot said:
2. If one does not have the Ringbearer font, one gets some pretty odd-looking text. Note that if you made it a PDF, you could embed the font so this wouldn't be an issue.
He can solve this in Word as well by embedding the font. It is a saving option he needs to set. Sure, it makes for a larger file, but everyone gets the same look.

Wyrm Pilot said:
3. It doesn't calculate anything. I may as well use the WoTC-published character sheets if I have to do all the math myself.
I guess I am one of those who prefers to do his own math. Frankly, I have seen too many programming errors in things like this to trust the auto-calculating character sheets. Besides, it's not hard to do a little simple adding and subtracting.

Remove ads