My Dragon Killed a PC and lives to tell the tale!

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Actually, it's looking like the party is simply going to run away screaming from the dragon. They are pretty beat up

As for snatch, the blue can't pick up medium sized creatures (but he can pick up small sized creatures). Great for snatching up ponies or those annoying halflings....

And I didn't give the dragon invisibility, I gave him silence. I think that is a good one, especially considering he's a pretty weak spellcaster, can conceal the sound he makes, and supress spells that have verbal components if used effectively.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
The problem with Snatch isn't that it's useless, it's just not as useful as other feats. Unless the dragon is big enough to get its mitts around the opponent, Snatch essentially does the same thing as Improved Grab.

In the case of a dragon (or for that matter any other creature without Constrict) it doesn't give it any additional damage capability to make it worth sitting there in a grapple exposing itself to the rest of the group. The dragon would have to win consecutive grapple rolls to continue to deal damage-- which in the long run is not as effective or safe as its main attack sequence.

And of course it just looks silly for a dragon to struggle around grappling with a human like that.

In my mind it's akin to telling a fighter not to take Power Attack or Cleave, to forgo using his greatsword in preference to Improved Grab. I mean, sure, I'll grant you Improved Grab is a handy feat-- but it's not the BEST option. Go with what works.

When the dragon is old and huge-- maybe THEN it can take Snatch.

As for the SPELLS:

If the dragon hasn't actually used any spells yet, there's absolutely no harm in changing them around. The players won't know the difference.

(I shouldn't have to mention that there's no such thing as "DM cheating." The DM runs the show, by definition.)

Our DM in this case has admitted that he's fairly inexperienced. What is the lesser evil? What is our noble pursuit? If my choices are to maintain the integrity of the DM, or to maintain the integrity of this dragon, I go with the dragon.

Otherwise we have another DM who has to slink back here and admit that another dragon lies dead as a result of his own inexperience-- an inexperience that it is unrealistic and unfair to inflict on the poor dragon. (No offense intended to the DM-- as others here have said, you're off to a fine start with this dragon, with no mistakes, and no decisions that can't be undone.)

Wulf

gubaru

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:
Common
The people of my campaign world have not had contact with dragons in a couple generations. I don't see anything wrong with the dragons shunning or flat out killing humans (or elves or others) to protect their territory to the north. Now that the dragon has met some formidable humans who do speak common (and draconic), he'll be more inclined to learn the language.

Has this dragon seen humanoids before? A couple dozen in the last few months. What has he been doing for 149 years? Living in the north among a slowly growing population of dragons. Dragons are territorial, and so this one decided to leave the increasingly cramped territory for a new area.

What's the racial mix of the party's current location? If it's mostly or all human, I'd play up the couple generations of no contact. Within two generations, there's a decent chance most humans have forgotten or muddled some of the dragon lore they knew. They would be focusing on current threats instead of older ones.

So, if the party manages to escape back down the mountain, have wise woman, etc. give them dragon advice. Then mix in some misinformation. Things like modern day people getting confused about whether garlic works on vampires or werewolves. I wouldn't use a whole lot just enough to keep them slightly off-guard.

Last edited:

Remove ads