• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My "Dungeon Master's Book" Is Falling Apart

My D&D Essentials Dungeon Master's Book is falling apart.

The cover is coming off the spine. I give the front and back pages another few accidental drops, quick flip-throughs, or a single poorly placed carry in my DM bag before pages start falling out. The whole thing is bent and wavy such that it won't stand up on a bookshelf.

By contrast my Rules Compendium—which I've read through front to back, referenced a surprisingly ridiculous number of times since I picked it up early at my Premier FLGS, and carried in the same DM bag—looks like new except for the deliberately broken-in lay-flat binding crease.

The same goes for my HotFL, which has been used and passed around at my weekly Essentials-only games like a meth junky at an underground party.

I can't recommend the DM Kit at all.

tentfox

Explorer
Yeah the Dungeon Master Book is of a totally different quality to the non boxed books. I had the DMB sitting on a table next to the RC when the sun shone through the window on them and the cover of the DMB started to curl almost immediately; the RC was fine.

Maccwar

Explorer
Have any pages actually fallen out yet? There was a thread somewhere saying that the binding was different to allow it to lay down flat on the tabletop and not close itself.

People have reported that the book looks like its almost going to fall apart but I don't actually recall anyone saying that they have actually had pages separate from the binding.

Either way you are not alone in thinking that the binding is suspect.

Scribble

First Post
is it separated at the sides or just the back?

If just the back, that's how it is intended to work for the lay flat binding.

tentfox

Explorer
Have any pages actually fallen out yet? There was a thread somewhere saying that the binding was different to allow it to lay down flat on the tabletop and not close itself.

People have reported that the book looks like its almost going to fall apart but I don't actually recall anyone saying that they have actually had pages separate from the binding.

Either way you are not alone in thinking that the binding is suspect.

I have not had a problem with the binding, and I can say it does indeed lay open on the table, even near the start or end of the book. You need to press it first but then it holds, the rules compendium and heroes of the fallen lands does NOT do this.

Ironic being the DMB is the least likely book out of the three to have left open on the gaming table.

"Lay flat binding"?

Give me a fraking break. It lays **marginally** more flat than RC or HotFL. If lay-flat is so great, why wasn't the RC or the HotFL bound in it, either of which should receive waaay more use than the DM Book?

Aesthetically, I think the glossy DM Book cover looks worse than what came before (RC & HotFL).

The DM Book paper is harder to read and feels worse than what came before.

Why are no authors credited on the DM Book cover?

Why is the DM Book spine art different?

Why is the DM Book back a blank wasteland?

The DM Kit is in no way worth twice the MSRP of the RC.

I really start questioning myself if the DMs book is worth it. Maybe i will try to get the DMG 1 and 2. Together with the RC it should be ok. The monster vault however will be a great addition to my collection^^

Remove ads