• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My favourite published campaign setting would be...

jdsivyer

First Post
...not that easy to choose. I mean, I've played in quite a few and they've and I've enjoyed many of them. Some notables (for me - and for different reasons) would be:

* Greyhawk
* Birthright
* Seattle (for Shadowrun)
* Planescape
* Earth (for Conspiracy X)
* Earth (for Ars Magica)

Having to choose just one is not easy, but...if I had to pick one of the above, I guess I'd go for the setting of Cerilia in Birthright.

Why? :p

I guess it's the pseudo-medieval European world that does it for me, and the fact that there's an emphasis on regents and lords, etc. Also, the setting is well thought out with reasons for everything and a nice flow to the history of the world. Bloodlines, low magic, interesting gods and magic that flows through ley-lines all make for a gritty, yet flexible fantasy setting. Add in excellent villains, guilds, The Shadow World, twists on some of the classes, and the opportunity (if you want) to rule a realm (I know you can in any setting, but the rules in BR are pretty cool IMHO), what's there not to like? (for a guy like me :D)

And the fact that it's designed for D&D ;)

I don't know...there's just something about it. There's some good logic to it. And I like a touch of realism in my fantasy :hmm:

jdsivyer

First Post
"...not that easy to choose. I mean, I've played in quite a few and they've and I've enjoyed many of them. Some notables (for me - and for different reasons) would be:"

I should proof-read my posts before I send them, haha. It should have read:

"...I've played in quite a few and I've enjnoyed..." Why I put "and they've" I'm not sure - guess I was thinking of two different things to say at the same time :p

jdsivyer

First Post
"...I've played in quite a few and I've enjnoyed..."

Enjnoyed!? What is that? Enjoyed would have been so much better ;)
Argh! Just proved my point about proof-reading - again! haha!

That's it! Not enough sleep for me, must go to bed :)

I generally run homebrew games. I steal good ideas from published setting, but in general, it's my own game.

There is are only two published setting I've used as written (with minor tweaks).

Hollow World

Spelljammer.

Those two are my favorite hands down - every fantasy game I have run since is a hollow planet and has magical flying ships.

Oh yeah, and third that I never ended up running but wanted to and loved:

Dragonstar.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I can only narrow it down to four:

Original Greyhawk Folio
The Known World*
Malefex London
The World of Progress

*Pre-Mystara

Wizard Biscuits

First Post
Like Lord Mhoram, I usually homebrew my own. But the notable exceptions include:

The Iron Kingdoms - because it's one of the best thought-out steampunk setting I've seen. That and the 'jacks.

Planescape - for all the wonderful weirdness you'll find there, Cutter.

The Warhammer World - it's grim, gritty, dirty and is unrivalled, I feel, in it's twisting and presenting of familar cultures and nations.

I do want to put Eberron on that list, but for all the bits of it I love, there's just as many bits that hold it back.

Greg K

Legend
So many to choose from. Really, it depends on what I am looking to play at a given time. In no particular order:
1. AD&D:
- Athas,
- Ravenloft
- Al Quadim
- Forgotten Realms (1e and early 2e)
2. Basic DND: The Known World Gazateers
3. Shadowrun
4. Earthdawn
5. Ars Magic
6. Marvel (at the time presented in the original TSR game)
7. DC Universe (at the times presented in Mayfair's DC Heroes editions 1e-3e)
8. Freedom City
9. Star Frontiers
10. Gamma World

Remove ads