• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My fighter always gets battered-am I "normal"?

Timeron Malachi

First Post
TimSmith said:
Sounds like an adolescent angst post, but I am playing my first 3.5 fighter in RttToEE. By my old 1st ed perceptions he is rock hard with AC 29 and 145hp, but after almost EVERY battle he is in dire need of healing. The monsters hit him almost without fail, and since 3rd ed monsters do more damage, his 145hp quickly drop. Is this just the way 3rd ed is or could I do something to make those hp last longer?

I was the fighter in a group of three rogues, and none of them had disable device...my HPs were always wasted on being the party trapspringer.

But, many of the others have mentioned tactics, and it can make a very big difference. When you guys see enemies, use magic or mundane means of putting people into a choke point. When I was third or fourth level, my paladin fought twelve town constables at once, because he kept them into choke points. Even though they were each 2nd-6th level, they couldn't beat full plate and a heavy shield with expertise. So, they were basically needing to nat 20 to hit me, and I was at a +2 or something.

Depending on how you build your fighter-types, you're going to be naturally built towards either defensive or offensive. If you want to dish out lots of damage, use feats like Leap Attack or Combat Brute, from Complete Adventurer and Complete Warrior.

Thanee

First Post
Timeron Malachi said:
I was the fighter in a group of three rogues, and none of them had disable device...my HPs were always wasted on being the party trapspringer.

That's just wrong... :D

Bye
Thanee

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Timeron Malachi said:
But, many of the others have mentioned tactics, and it can make a very big difference. When you guys see enemies, use magic or mundane means of putting people into a choke point.

Oh, yes. The "conga line of doom", as it used to be known.

Battlefield control is amusing and fun.

Brad

Timeron Malachi

First Post
Timeron Malachi said:

Thanee said:
That's just wrong... :D

Bye
Thanee

I kept telling them that....their favorite thing to say was "I'm not that kind of rogue." To which I replied, "What, the useful sort?" They had it set in their minds they were as good of fighters as a Fighter.

Nail

First Post
Timeron Malachi said:
I kept telling them that....their favorite thing to say was "I'm not that kind of rogue." To which I replied, "What, the useful sort?" They had it set in their minds they were as good of fighters as a Fighter.
Errr?

Our party's rogue is one of the most useful characters in our combat line-up.....and he can detect and disable traps. What's you companions' problem?

Last session, "Fingers" pulled out a 40+ search check, and later that day, did 300+ hp damage in one round. It was a glory to behold. :D

SBMC

First Post
Nail said:
Interesting Thread!

You've got an ECL 12 "dwarven fighter", eh? Let's look at your equipment:
  • Mithral Full Plate +2 (14,500gp),
  • Animated Tower shield +1 (9,180gp),
  • Waraxe +1 (2350gp),
  • girdle of giant strength +4 (16,000gp),
  • cloak of resist+1 (1,000gp),
  • brooch of shielding (1,500gp),
  • 3 potions cure light wounds (150gp),
  • mace+1 (2312gp),
  • composite bow (+4 str) (800gp),
  • about 480gp in loose change.

Total of 48,272 gp.

.....and are you aware that a 12th level PC should have, at a minimum, 88,000gp of wealth? :) Your wealth level is a lot closer to that of a 10th level PC. .....And to further penalize you, your party has only 3 PCs. Ouch. :]

Another question: Do you follow RAW and take the attack penalties from the animated tower shield?

Animated Tower shield +1 (9,180gp),

Not to get off topic to much; but since we are on AC and such; animated sheidls are the most overpowered item in the DMG by far IMO; an item that more or less makes it possible for ANYONE to use a sheild if they have the money (and it' ain't much at all!) ...(which sooner or later they will)...

Foir under 10K ya get a free hand for TWF or double handed use...or casting spells...insane and silly. A wish spell could'nt grow you another arm...but this can? (well it could in theory...ya all get the point I hope)

In my campaigns they are outlawed without exception.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Timeron Malachi said:

If you can call an eggshell armed with a hammer a "fighter".

Do they at least do you the courtesy of squealing piteously as they run and hide behind you when undead start appearing?

Brad

SBMC

First Post
Timeron Malachi said:

Timeron Malachi said:
Originally Posted by I kept telling them that....their favorite thing to say was "I'm not that kind of rogue." To which I replied, "What, the useful sort?" They had it set in their minds they were as good of fighters as a Fighter.

cignus_pfaccari said:
If you can call an eggshell armed with a hammer a "fighter".

Do they at least do you the courtesy of squealing piteously as they run and hide behind you when undead start appearing?

Brad

One question - are your fellow party members serious defunct in the common sense department? Did they drink to much tap water as children? Or do the lack the ability to read English - the PHB is published in other languages you know...

The arguments around Barbarians versus Fighters and Rangers versus both abound the boards...I have never seen (and I doubt anyone else has either) anyone (well anyone with a least 3 sessions of D&D under their belt) argue that a rouge can compare to a fighter in combat...it is ludicrous.

Jut when you thought you heard it all...

Timeron Malachi said:
Depending on how you build your fighter-types, you're going to be naturally built towards either defensive or offensive. If you want to dish out lots of damage, use feats like Leap Attack or Combat Brute, from Complete Adventurer and Complete Warrior.

Not entirely true IMO…

I have a sword and shield fighter that uses both of these - his defense lies in the AC; his offense is still very aggressive (Power Attack, charging feats, etc.). He is quite high in level now and has never been killed…yet…

Additionally I would recommend Shock Trooper over Combat Brute myself; tactically it ends up being better (a one round event versus 2 rounds). However having both is even better than that!

Nail

First Post
SBMC said:
... animated sheidls are the most overpowered item in the DMG by far IMO; an item that more or less makes it possible for ANYONE to use a sheild if they have the money ....

You've read over the magic item description, right? Didn't skip this part, did you?
SRD said:
"A character with an animated shield still takes any penalties associated with shield use, such as armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency."

You'll note the OP's DM did skip this part, which is too bad. Doing that does make it unbalanced.

The Animated enhancement costs a +2. That means, generally, that there are much cheaper ways to get AC up until level 14 or so. And after that....so what?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads