• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My first Buenos Aires D&D game

I recently moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Since I didn't know anyone there, I thought a great way to make friends would be to find some D&D players and run a game.

I was pointed to the website www.derol.com.ar , which is an argentinean RPG website. It actually caters to a bunch of RPGs, not just D&D.

I posted an ad for players to play D&D, in English. I got lots of replies, and ended up with 5 players who all could meet on a common day.

We ran our first adventure (Savage Tide Adventure Path) yesterday. I noticed some interesting differences between my old group and this one.

First of all, of all my players, no one owns a Player's Handbook. Apparently these books are very expensive, relative to salaries here. People seem to rely on the SRD and www.d20srd.org (accessed from work, I guess) quite a bit.

I hadn't anticipated this, so I didn't bring one. So we had to use the SRD on my laptop for character creation, along with some PDFs that I bought from drivethrurpg.com.

Also, while all but one player had played D&D before, only half had played 3rd edition.

All of the players were guys. All in their 20s. I am quite the geezer by comparision! I think D&D is a younger hobby here -- when I recruited players by similar means in San Diego, I got a lot of people in their 30s and even 40s.

Argentinian guys kiss guys on the cheek to say hello and goodbye. I'm going to have to get used to that!

I broght some big paper battle mats (unfortunately, my tac-tiles are in storage ) with me, but no minis. None of my players have any minis, either. So I cut out colored inkjet printer paper squares for minis. It actually worked out fine.

The players argued quite a bit amongst themselves, and no one wanted to play a cleric. That, at least, matches my experience in the USA.

We decided as a group that the first person whose character died had to play a cleric. Some of the players are running their characters in a very cowardly fashion (running away as soon as they take damage, for example) as a result, because they are terrified that they will have to play a cleric! This, of course, adds to the in-party arguing, but I find it quite amusing. I'm considering giving the eventual cleric player's PC an extra feat or maybe an extra skill point per level, but I haven't decided yet -- clerics are pretty powerful already.

Fortunately, the party has a Dread Necromancer, so they can rebuke undead. Otherwise, I'd be looking at a TPK very soon.

I think it will be a fun group. And my Spanish will probably improve too.

Ken

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
Haffrung Helleyes said:
Argentinian guys kiss guys on the cheek to say hello and goodbye. I'm going to have to get used to that!

My wife is Argentinian and also a player. I had to get used to hugging and kissing all of our hellos and goodbyes with the in-laws, but we kind of came to a comfortable "Steve doesn't really like all the kissing and hugging" agreement a couple years back.

However, when we went to Argentina 2 years ago to visit my wife's extended family there, I had to go through more cheek kissing than I'll ever get used to. At one point, I reflected out loud to my wife, "You know, today I kissed a man on the cheek who I don't even know. And I still don't know who he was."

Good luck, man! Get used to all of that cheek kissing! ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads