My first Savage Worlds experience...

BabbageCliologic

First Post
scourger said:
I ran a bonus session of Savage Worlds using Necropolis for the first time this week. It was great. The heroes & extras numbered about 16. Bad guys around 32. The whole combat took about 3.5 hours. If we hadn't started a little late for character generation and role-playing set-up, we would have finished early. I can't imagine trying a 50 man combat with d20. I can't wait for the next session, although it will probably be next month or next year since our regular game night is full of D&D right now.

That's interesting. It was much shorter for my group with a larger number of combatants.

Let me back up a bit. I ran a 9 session Savage (Forgotten) Realms! game. I outlined some of this in my free PDF 'zine, One Thousand and One Nights and One Night. In the last session, the PCs + 35 of their allies (including the Half-Dragon/Naga from Issue #10) vs. ~60 enemies, including mook Nazi Mages and Robots (Issue #9), a whole mess o' mook goblins, and several more Wild Card NPCs (Issue #16). And it took less than 2 hours.

In the past, my group played GURPS, so a nearly 100 man combat would have been much, much longer.

/BC

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
After reading this thread I purchased a lot of the Savage World products from RPGNow. I have to admit, I've read through it several times and this is an outstanding game system. I'm interested in hearing more reports if anyone else is using this for their FRPG system of choice.

BabbageCliologic, have you posted your FR conversion notes anywhere? I'm interested in converting my FR game over at some point. Thanks in advance.

Asmor

First Post
I've played through two halves of a 50 fathoms campaign now, playing the campaign from the book and starting with the first adventure, which I think is Maiden Voyage or something like that.

Unfortunately, most of my players in this game dislike the system.

A couple notes:

1: Magic seems really powerful, the bolt power in particular. This may be in large part because the Kraken start with 10 bonus power points, doubling the number that a Kraken mage starts with to 20. On top of that, the player took Wizard, so any time he gets a raise he lowers the cost of his power by 1. Given that he's got a d12 for casting, that's pretty often. So basically for 5 points he gets to make three 3d6 attacks with bolt.

Of course, even then, that's still a quarter of his total spell points and would be one half to one third of any other character's.

2: I find I enjoy the game a lot more when the players have a few cohorts/hirelings/etc. In the necropolis game I ran, 2 sergeants per PC was standard issue. In this 50 fathom game, each player started out with just their own character, and I think that is part of the reason that the game doesn't seem as good. The combats seem to take longer, and they're also less epic since instead of a dozen PCs vs. a few dozen enemies, there's 4-6 PCs vs. 8-9 enemies. It still goes faster than a similar D&D combat, though.

One thing I really love about the system is its lethality. I dislike the fact that in D&D, you don't often end up taking lasting damage, but in the last game of 50 fathoms the Kraken lost an eye. :)

Breakdaddy

First Post
Flynn, I'm glad your group enjoyed playing Savage Worlds. The game is outstanding and I suggest you get your players tied in to the explorer's edition (at ten bucks a pop, you cant really lost.) which has some nice rules tweaks over the revised edition. If you play any modern military games, modern ops is amazing and the fantasy toolkits are some of the best out there. I particularly like the magic items which I find quite imaginative. One of these days Im going to get to use all those toolkits Ive bought in a campaign! Until then, good gaming!

corwyn77

Adventurer
Asmor said:
I've played through two halves of a 50 fathoms campaign now, playing the campaign from the book and starting with the first adventure, which I think is Maiden Voyage or something like that.

Unfortunately, most of my players in this game dislike the system.

A couple notes:

1: Magic seems really powerful, the bolt power in particular. This may be in large part because the Kraken start with 10 bonus power points, doubling the number that a Kraken mage starts with to 20. On top of that, the player took Wizard, so any time he gets a raise he lowers the cost of his power by 1. Given that he's got a d12 for casting, that's pretty often. So basically for 5 points he gets to make three 3d6 attacks with bolt.

Of course, even then, that's still a quarter of his total spell points and would be one half to one third of any other character's.

2: I find I enjoy the game a lot more when the players have a few cohorts/hirelings/etc. In the necropolis game I ran, 2 sergeants per PC was standard issue. In this 50 fathom game, each player started out with just their own character, and I think that is part of the reason that the game doesn't seem as good. The combats seem to take longer, and they're also less epic since instead of a dozen PCs vs. a few dozen enemies, there's 4-6 PCs vs. 8-9 enemies. It still goes faster than a similar D&D combat, though.

One thing I really love about the system is its lethality. I dislike the fact that in D&D, you don't often end up taking lasting damage, but in the last game of 50 fathoms the Kraken lost an eye. :)

A couple of things:

Several of the 50 F races are plain broken (Kraken, Grael, Red Men(, especially Kraken since they get the equivelant of two legendary edges to start (10 extra PP).

Did you realize that bolt is treated as three separate spells as one action so Wizard applies seperatey to all three? So you can potentially cast those three bolts for 1 pp each.

As for numbers, I think a group of Novices can handle a dozen low-end mooks reliably. Pirates, goblins, etc. Orcs in this system and Ugaks aren't really fodder even though they're extras. After all, Giants are extras as well.

As for lethality, to each his own. That's the main thing I've been house ruling away. I've played a lot of games with lower death count and permanent injuries and never missed it. But aside from that we've found SW to be a fantastic system, easy to play and prepare for.

Remove ads