My first take at a 4e god

Pssthpok

First Post
Hiya matey! :)
[...]
The editing will take a few weeks longer than I anticipated, but we are only talking a few weeks. I'll have an update and preview on the website this week (probably Saturday).

Nice. Looking forward to it, as usual. :)

Not sure the whole immunity to non-epics is necessary (if they are silly enough to think they can beat the god - just have him squash them), but the others make sense.

True enough. I take it then that your write-ups won't include such demarcations?

No, I just mean that when he hits with an attack that is both fire and thunder damage, so you need to resist both or take the damage. From your wording it looked like you were saying he could deal either fire or weapon, when theres no need to do either when he can do both.

Ah... I see. Yeah. Why do or when you can do and?

I'd never be one to say I told you so. B-)

Ah, well... I never denied the creativity of 4e monsters, just the rationale of 4e marking mechanics and exploit limits. :p Small hurdles, really, especially when compared to the pedantic nightmares of 3e...

Small hurdles, really, especially when compared to the pedantic nightmares of 3e...

Isn't that a bit of an overstatement? :p

I find 3.5e monster making fun, there's more effort certainly, but more effort does not always = less enjoyment.

I used to find the Skills and Feats a pain, but once I'd made my first few dozen they became pretty easy.

(Whereas I haven't yet gotten the 4e stuff down, so I have to look it up or use an online calculator tool for every monster -- but I can write 3.5e monsters totally from scratch unless they're a Type I rarely use -- I can never remember how many Skill Points Fey get, but Outsiders, Animals, Magical Beasts, I can...)

Honestly, I should have made a monster book pdf back when there was a market for 3.5e stuff, before PF and 4e; I've certainly written enough to fill one. Pity I couldn't do the art...

They just take a bit more creative thinking.

I'm sure... but it does narrow the options somewhat.

Remember also there is no reason why you can't create a new Condition or Energy Type.

Yeah, just, in 4e everything has to be keyworded etc; there's less margin. The balance is better, but they've lost a lot (polymorph effects, disintegrate spells that actually disintegrate things...)

Not that I dislike 4e, because I don't; I just wish WOTC had supported them simultaneously as TSR did with D&D and AD&D.

Having fun at the moment tweaking the Chrono-Vampire section with as many different time based mechanics I can muster.

Chrono-Vampire sounds awesome... steals opponents' time? How would that be done mechanically? slowed perhaps?

There is a monster called the Doom Wight in the Vampire Bestiary. It has this power that inflicts a status called "Doomed". Whereby the target loses one healing surge per round (save ends).

Cool!

howdy! :)

Pssthpok said:
Nice. Looking forward to it, as usual. :)

I'll get there in the end...honest. :eek:

True enough. I take it then that your write-ups won't include such demarcations?

I have toyed with the idea, but come to the conclusion its irrelevant.

Ah... I see. Yeah. Why do or when you can do and?

Exactly.

Ah, well... I never denied the creativity of 4e monsters, just the rationale of 4e marking mechanics and exploit limits. :p Small hurdles, really, especially when compared to the pedantic nightmares of 3e...

Instead of potentially a 100+ different 'bits' (feats, skills, spells, special abilities, special qualities etc.) for epic monsters (in 3E) you only have to worry about 5-10 'bits' for 4E. It makes a big difference.

Hello! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
I'm sure... but it does narrow the options somewhat.

For me it just cuts out the dead wood.

Yeah, just, in 4e everything has to be keyworded etc; there's less margin. The balance is better, but they've lost a lot (polymorph effects, disintegrate spells that actually disintegrate things...)

You can easily have polymorph and disintigrate in 4E, you just have to be a bit cleverer in applying it.

Not that I dislike 4e, because I don't; I just wish WOTC had supported them simultaneously as TSR did with D&D and AD&D.

Unfeasible for the company I imagine. Although we now have Pathfinder.

Chrono-Vampire sounds awesome... steals opponents' time? How would that be done mechanically? slowed perhaps?

I am sure I am not at liberty to say. :p

Looking at them, the line is blurred between are they "Time" Vampires or "Fate" Vampires. The more I think about it the more that line (between Fate and Time) is blurred.

paradox42

First Post
Looking at them, the line is blurred between are they "Time" Vampires or "Fate" Vampires. The more I think about it the more that line (between Fate and Time) is blurred.
For a likely reason behind this blurring, see my "physics" post in my "crazy cosmology" thread. :) Most people don't really think through the consequences of higher dimensions the way I have.

Remove ads