• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My first time DM'ing - Would KotS be good for a newb DM?

Natural 20

First Post
Here's a question for you. In a regular gaming group of 4 people we have 2 DMs who alternate; each run a lengthy adventure/campaign and then switch. They both are very good at it although they run totally different style games. It seems though that at the conclusion of our current campaign (in a home-brew setting) there may be an opportunity to give the other two a break. I have been thinking about trying my hand at DM'ing. The advent of 4th Edition creates a natural breakpoint where we could learn the rules together under a new DM (me!) who will start with a "clean slate".

My question is, is KotS a good aventure to run as a newb DM, or would you recommend a different approach? I have been reading mixed reviews here on the boards, but nothing really addresses the suitability of the adventure for a first time DM.

If KotS is not the way to go, what do you recommend to come up to speed as a first time DM under 4th? (note: gift box already on order from Amazon!) ... thanks, Michael

Nail

First Post
Natural 20 said:
My question is, is KotS a good aventure to run as a newb DM, or would you recommend a different approach?
I've already recieved and read my KotS copy. I will be running KotS twice, once in 2 weeks, and again in August. FWIW, I've been DMing D&D for almost 30 years.

IMO, KotS is as good a module as any. It has some flaws, some typos, and some missing peices...but they *all* have those in varying quantities. KotS might have fewer than average.

KotS advantage is the layout (all of an encounter is on a two-page spread), which makes reference for any DM pretty easy. And the included poster-sized minatures maps are neato keen. (Dod I just say "neato"? ) The major disadvantage of KotS is no strange plot twists or surprises. ...and I'd imagine for a new DM, that's not a Bad Thing(tm).

It's a 1st thru 3rd level adventure. Those are always great for newbie DMs to run. There's good combat, some decent social encounters, and a reasonable plot.

I'd say "go for it".

Last edited:

I agree with Nail :)

what I'd do, what I've done in fact, to help me DM it is this:

I've written the encounter enemy NPCs stats down in my big DM notepad/folder, so I can score off when they use powers, ammo etc. You could copy that *cough hey just for perosnal use! no foul :) *, so you don't damage the book as you play, easy to track item used etc.

The modules printed pages are WAY too easy to damage/smear IMHO. And for any adventure for 4th ed, I'd say having written notes you can score off power uses (daily, encounter) is a good idea :)

Post-It-Notes are great for doing this, by the way!

Natural 20

First Post
...thanks

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the encounter summary on a two page spread is a plus (I am glad I reread your post Mr Nail, as that comment wasn't there to begin with).

Also, not only did you say "neato" but you also said "keen". No problem though; I grew up during a time when such word choices were more common :)

This is the perfect time for a new DM, because it's a new game, so everyone's on the same footing -- learning as you go along.

Take the plunge, man. It's great fun to be a DM, and the world needs more of 'em.

Gargoyle273

First Post
There is no better time to start off as a new DM. This adventure gives you everything you need without needing to know everything. You wont have to deal with more experienced players quoting rules at you because they dont have the rules yet, and the DM gets more rules than the players do in this adventure so YOU will be the expert.

Just remember, if there are any disputes, the DM's rule is golden. And if you arent sure about whether or not its ok to kill your players. The answer is yes it is...

Rechan

Adventurer
My only suggestion is that you wait for the books to come out, let the players make their own characters (rather than the buggy pregens). Give them a reason to be going to Winterhaven (I.e. roleplay the hook they've been given). Make sure everyone is familiar with their abilities.

Zazz up the second encounter, as it's very similar to the first, or exclude it completely. (Alternatively, leave it in, and rip out the first encounter).

With three people as players, be careful with encounter design. Remove a monster or more.

OchreJelly

First Post
I think it's a good module for new DM's. It even has some basic DM advice on a few pages, like tips on keeping things moving along. It's a nice touch and the sort of thing that's helpful for an intro module.

In the past I felt that I needed a bunch of prep time with published modules to handle things like having monster stats handy, but in KotS everything for a given encounter is right there.

The only real advice beyond this is do your best to familiarize yourself with the basic rules ahead of time, but hey your players will be fumbling along to so I wouldn't fret it much.

Jack Colby

First Post
There's a short intro adventure in the back of the DMG as well. You might consider running that before moving on to something like KotS.

Natural 20

First Post
...good input, thanks...

Thanks to all for the input. The concensus so far seems that KotS is fully appropriate for a first time DM, with one caveat - wait for the books to come out. Actually, I was leaning that way anyway, mainly for the reason cited below, regarding the pregens:

Rechan said:
...only suggestion is that you wait for the books to come out, let the players make their own characters (rather than the buggy pregens)...

Knowing my group I think they would prefer to create characters themselves.

Remove ads