• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My First World Map...

aceofgames

First Post
I drew this the other day...
Its part of a series of maps I'm drawing, for a campaign world I that I'll (eventually) will write up.
Tell me whatcha think.

Attachments

• Map-1B.jpg
    Map-1B.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

Sunaj2k3

First Post
World map comments....

Your map is nice and colorful, I'm reminded of the maps created for Bastion Press's Oathbound Setting. You also appear to have made efforts to get the geology of your world to be consistent. I hope you post more of your maps.

Some things I would note if you'd like to make your maps more "realistic": first, the mountains and mountain chain fragments you have arising out of the ocean are too "big". If they were created by volcanic action, there should be an island with tall mountains in the center (aka Hawaii), but what sticks out of the ocean should at least have a flat perimeter around it. If they're part of a mountain chain that is at the boundary of two tectonic plates, then the mountains should extend maybe a few miles off the coast, but then be swallowed up the the sea (I have no idea how deep your oceans are, but using earth as a guide, moving off the continental shelf puts you about 10-12,000 feet down with depths of up to 36,000 feet possible).

Second, you might want to give your main continent more flat land or shrink the size of the mountain ranges somewhat. I'm not quite sure how to phrase this, but your continent looks "bony" or "stringy" with small areas of land girded by massive mountain ranges.

Third, the southern area of your main continent looks a little "odd". You've got a sea draining into the ocean through a desert. While that might be possible, I would have the rivers flowing into the sea from a mountain range with a lake or lakes and forests or rainforests near the source or sources (think the Caspian or Aral Sea, well at least there was an Aral Sea before irrigation and water diversion destroyed it).

Again, all of the above are not meant as criticisms of your drawing style (which looks fine), but guidelines in developing a more realistic looking map. Take care and keep drawing.

aceofgames

First Post
Well, one thing I tried to do- in addition to the things you said- was to use the rives to show topography. The things I don't like about this map, is its obvious lack of flat land.
Oh yeah, the desert to the south is a mirror of the Sahara, one of the most illogical to understand desert formations (or at least I think so).

aceofgames

First Post
Part 2

Here's part 2, along with a map that combines both part one and two:

Attachments

• 09-11-2005 01;32;59AMB.jpg
    09-11-2005 01;32;59AMB.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 171
  • MAP B.jpg
    MAP B.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
Sunaj2k3 said:
Some things I would note if you'd like to make your maps more "realistic": first, the mountains and mountain chain fragments you have arising out of the ocean are too "big". If they were created by volcanic action, there should be an island with tall mountains in the center (aka Hawaii), but what sticks out of the ocean should at least have a flat perimeter around it. If they're part of a mountain chain that is at the boundary of two tectonic plates, then the mountains should extend maybe a few miles off the coast, but then be swallowed up the the sea (I have no idea how deep your oceans are, but using earth as a guide, moving off the continental shelf puts you about 10-12,000 feet down with depths of up to 36,000 feet possible).

Never been to Alaska I see. The southern coasts of Alaska have mountains which plunge straight into the ocean, so this can happen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads