• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Free RPG Day experiences

Glyfair

Explorer
I had a very long Free RPG Day, and it took a while to digest my experience.

To start with, I should nopte I'm a night person. If I don't have any place to be, I often am up until 6 am or longer. I started with one of those nights and didn't hit the hay until about 4-5 am. So, once I finally got moving I wasn't very energetic.

I started the day at my less local game store, Between Books. It is primarily a book store with a large science fiction/fantasy bent. However, it is also a hobby game store, a comic book store, and a bit of a new age store. It has a gaming area in the back with room for about 2 tables of games, 3 if you don't mind being squeezed.

Two of us were there to run games. I intended to run "Chimes at Midnight" from Dungeon magazine and the other GM intended on running something experimental D&Dish. There were a few people dropping in and talking for a bit, but not a lot were there to actually play. We ended up with enough players for a single table and I elected to have him run. After all, I was running in the evening and I wasn't sure he was interested in playing in my game.

The other game master was a big "indy-game" fan. In fact, he introduced The Burning Wheel to our game store when they had first edition numbered copies.

He decided to introduce us to his style of game. His concept was losely based on GenCons "Iron DM." First he had us design characters. He required us to all be experts and limited our choices at character creation (for example we choose skills but assumed they were at max). Even so, character creation really took too long for a one-off event, in my opinion.

Part of character creation was assigning our characters beliefs. We had to choose one belief and how we acted on that belief. For example, since we were discussing the Dying Earth RPG earlier I decided to run a Cugel the Clever-like Vancian character. My belief was "If I want it, it should be mine." The way I went about it was to try to get it while avoiding conflict as much as possible.

We then gave him three ingredients to the adventure and he spent time discussing with us the story that developed from these ingredients. One ingredient was a heist, one was a conflict of interest and I forget the other two. We ended up with an adventure that had us going after a magic item (chosen from one of Paizo's item cards) for various reasons.

He then gave us a goal and asked how we were going about it, while giving us a general story element (some nomads wandered the woods and had changed their patterns). He had given us the goal and story reasons why we were concerned.

We knew we needed a container to get this item, so we decided that the creatures had something and went to explore it. Essentially we were designing the adventure with input from the DM. He stated we would only have one roll per story element, but might have other modifiers. We basically would each add stakes to the encounter (we added what we hoped to gain, he added what would hamper us if we failed) adn they all fell on that die roll.

Skipping the details of the encounter (perhaps I'll elaborate later), we were essentially designing the adventure at the table. In fact, roleplaying was scant and adventure design was dominant. At least some of it was because he was teaching us the game structure, but it seemed very clunky to me.

I wouldn't object to using some of those elements in a game, but they would need to be heavily deemphasized at the table. If I wanted to design an adventure, I would run a game. I want some control at the table, but not that level of control and certainly not that much "metagaming" at the table. The metagaming is inherent to the structure of that game, it seems.

One of the players had to leave, and I only had about another half hour, so we decided to pack it up. It was an interesting experience. I'm not sure I'd want to do that sort of thing long term, but as I mentioned, there were some ideas there I wouldn't mind utilizing in a different format.

From there I went to my more local game store, The Days of Knights. There I ended up running the planned adventure. I'm not sure how much the players enjoyed it. I messed up the middle section because of my tiredness, completely forgetting about the time issues and the lightning rail scene was botched (I do find it to be the least entertaining element of the adventure because the time element is screwy).

Still, we ended up finishing and even though we started at 7:30 or so, we didn't end until 2am. I'm surprised no one suggested we wrap up at the table. At least one person mentioned he was conscious of time.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Free RPG day was pretty uneventful for me...not too many people were in the game store when I was, so I shopped, got my freebie X-Crawl module, shot the breeze, then left.

End of Free RPG day.

Flynn

First Post
My son and I visited about four of our FLGSs. At the first, we had arrived before the Free RPG Day coordinator came in (by about three hours) and so we were told to come back later. At the second, we watched a few minis games, shopped around and picked up two modules each. The third one turned out not to be participating in Free RPG Day (I had assumed it would be, but you know how assumptions are). At the last one, the place was more of a minis and toy store, and the owner just set out his stuff, so we cherry picked through the rest of the modules and such, before heading home. No one really ran anything D20, and that's all my son really knew, so when we got home, I whipped out "Sinister Secret of Whiterock" and ran my son through that. We stopped about halfway through it, and will be finishing it up today, but he had a good time with it. :)

All in all, I wish the FLGSs had been a bit more proactive or organized, but the purpose of the event has been served in that I was able to take my son from the Basic D&D boxed set into the wide open world of D&D, and have laid the foundations for passing the torch on to the next generation.

Yay!

Thanks, Free RPG Guys,
Flynn

Dragon Snack

First Post
I had planned on visiting both of the LGS with Free RPG Day stuff going on, but only made it to one of them. I got up late and then I had people calling me all morning to shoot the breeze (including one of my players who had gone to the big LGS tp pick up Aces And Eights, but hadn't seen any of the Free RPG Day stuff).

When I made it to the big LGS (it's closer), I couldn't find anything from the Free RPG Day either. It turns out you had to play a demo to get something. I was going to take off since most of the stuff was already halfway through demos, but I ended up talking to one of my old players who was running Hollow Earth and he talked me/begged me/assumed the sale into playing his demo.

He was going to have us make up characters, but we ended up just using the pregens in the book to save time. I went with the Pacifist Priest, since I would never play a pacifist in an actual campaign. The other players went with the Dying Rich Guy and Mad Scientist. I didn't have dice, so I borrowed some of his. I used his weird 10-siders that I always wondered why he used (they are big and bulky) and soon realized they rolled REALLY well (hmmm).

Actual play was OK, nothing that made we want to run out and buy the system, but I might play in a campaign if someone ran one. My pacifist was surprisingly effective thanks to all the skills the character had (the die rolls didn't hurt either). We ended up accidentally (well, the Mad Scientist said it an accident) blowing up the item we were looking for (Oops), but it took out the BBEG as well.

While we were playing one of the employees was bragging that he had sold 2 copies of Aces And Eights (didn't have the heart to tell him that my friend was probably going to return his copy). After game I realized that NONE of the modules I wanted was left (Paizo may have theirs available as a pdf, but I'm not a fan of pdf's), but the cool thing was they let us choose from a bunch of back stock they had.

It was getting late at that point and the next LGS running Free RPG Day stuff was a half hour away, with no guarentee of them having what I wanted, so I called it a day. I guess I can't complain too much about having to play a game to get free stuff, but I would rather they had run it more like other stores have run Free Comic Day.

DrNilesCrane

First Post
The owner of the local gaming store let me know about it a week or two in advance, so I stopped by and picked up a couple of free adventures. The store has a few gaming tables but they are almost exclusively for card games (never seen an RPG run there), so nothing much was going on in that regard. The freebie adventure I picked up from Paizo looks good for an intro adventure: I decided to subscribe to the Pathfinder series based on the production quality.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads