• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Girlfriend needs roleplaying ideas

sparxmith

First Post
My Girlfriend is a very meticulous roleplayer. She likes roleplaying for Roleplaying's sake. Unfortunately, she's not satisfied with her current character, and was asking me for ideas to make a new character.

Currently, we're playing in the Forgotten Realms, using the Gestalt Characters option, in the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil module.

She's playing a barbarian/fighter from the Shaar--which prior to the Gestalting was just a barbarian. She doesn't like magic users--detests them is a better description--but likes a character with spark.

For instance, a previous character was a fighter/rogue, Ginger Montoya, daughter of Inago Montoya (cf. The Princess Bride).

Anyway, I'm hoping the creative talents would be able to give me an interesting character that I can offer her. Any cool histories would also be greatly appreciated.

Die roll is 3 columns, 7 sets, 4d6. It creates some pretty epic stats. Characters are gestalt, and we can use just about any book ever printed. Party level is 7th.

Thanx,

Sparxmith

buchw001

First Post
Sparxmith,

Although the character has some great prospects, I think you might get a better response if this post was moved to another forum instead of the "RULES" section.

However, off the top of my head, I remeber an area called "The Landrise" from the Shaar region that divides the region east & west. Here father could have been a member of one of the nomadic tribes from this region. Since the name brings the movie to mind, the history might involve some troubles that her father encountered earlier. For vengance, she travels into the Shaarwood or the Sharawood to track down the cause of her father's grief. Here she could have earned some of her barbarian levels...

Just a thought

sparxmith

First Post
Thanks for the move Hypersmurf. I was under the impression that character creation/design goes into the rules forum.

Thanks for the idea Buch. But what I'm really looking for is new character ideas that I can offer her so she can make a new character.

Thanx for all the help,

Sparxmith

PlotDevice

First Post
sparxmith said:
Thanks for the idea Buch. But what I'm really looking for is new character ideas that I can offer her so she can make a new character.

Key things for interest: Variability. A barbarian / fighter has one role: Hit it. Hard. Hit it again. = repetition = boring.

If she hates spells, the obvious choice is rogue. Go for skill variability and give her lots of neat npcs to interact with. If she is sick of rogues (you mention her last character was one) you are a bit stuck... but Monk is a nice option.

Also, interest can be piqued with interesting magic item choice: ring of shooting stars has created all kinds of fun, as has the old rod of wonder.

But more important than character class and above all, remember that place in world, goals, and NPC and PC interactions are what makes Role Playing over roll playing.

Good luck!

Evan

The Souljourner

First Post
Just a note, return to the temple of elemental evil really isn't much of a roleplayer's campaign. My group likes hack and slash, and even we got bored of all the fighting that happens once you get into the big temple. Seriously, once you're into the "we have to fight our way into the inner circle" part of the campaign, it just drags on forever.

I think we played every other week for a year just doing that, and finally just quit.

She should totally be a Bard. There's no class that's more fun to roleplay, and no class that has more interesting abilities. Bard is easily my favorite class to play, and they're even pretty good in combat if you build them like a melee cleric (swapping charisma for wisdom, of course).

-The Souljourner

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll second that vote on bard- nothing like a skald (barbarian bard) to liven up a party!

-Think of all the fun on ST:Next Gen etc. when they were singing Klingon songs.
-The "Spam" song as sung by Vikings on Monty Python.

On a more serious note, the skalds were responsible for storytelling and keeping the oral histories of their people. Without them, Beowulf and so many other epics would have been lost to time.

Female character ideas

When My wife played a couple of years ago in a forgotten realms campaign based around Phlan, she played a Dark-Sun Gladiator with alittle psionics added but never really used the psionics part at all and had some fun. I'm pretty sure someone has converted the Gladiator over to D20. Also the Complete Warrior has a swashbuckler as a core class. If you want hard hitting stuff, I recommend a Barbarian/Ranger combination especially now with the 3.5 rules on Rangers. Just because a class has spellcasting abililty it doesn't mean she has to use that ability.
I hope some of these ideas will also help in the chooses for her. Don't worry about the Role-playing for the Temple of Elemental Evil as long as you have a DM who is into both aspects of the title of Role-playing, he/she could easily turn that module into a have Role-playing module, I did for an Evil character campaign but a couple of players could not get completely into working with other characters and helping me with module concepts for the module. In fact I had Dwarven characters setting up a perimeter with Rune-cannons from Quintessential Dwarf and the Illithid involved with that module for the Evil campaign that I was setting up.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Barbarbian/Monk.

Or Monk/Paladin.

Or Barbarian/Ranger.

Ignore the whole mulitclassing/alignment debacle, and have fun. :) First is a master of lightly armored destruction, second is a deadly sacred first, and third is all wilderness and warrior.

Magac

First Post
hmm ideas

nurse and french maid often works. though sometimes she might enjoy becoming a police officer (means you can use the handcuffs without appearing too kinky)

Remove ads