• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My group is looking for a new roleplaying game, suggestions please...

Castaigne

First Post
For a system that features custom or modified guns as part of the character, rather than just equipment, your two best options are:

BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth) 2nd edition from Guardians of Order. Anime-inspired gaming with a simple, adaptable base mechanic that promotes fast-paced dramatic action. Includes a wide range of gun stunts and player-defined character-related equipment as part of character creation. The rules tend to lean toward fast-and-loose resolution, so if you want more number-crunchy detail try:

Hero/Champions. Hero 5th edition is at the printers and should be available around April, which doesn't help you right now, but if you're willing to wait or can find an old copy of Dark Champions... Hero has much more structured rules than BESM. Gun stunts and weapons can be built into characters in a similar way, but with a much finer degree of detail (and complexity).

Cyberpunk is a lot like GURPS in its treatment of guns. There are lots of stats and rules, but guns are still treated as external equipment, rather than an integral part of the character.

ascendance

First Post
I'd say go for GURPS. Get GURPS, and maybe GURPS Special Ops. Or maybe the just-released GURPS WW2. I don't recommend Cyberpunk 2020 because its kinda dated, but then, that might mean that you can get a used copy for $10. And really, I'm not sure what you can do with Cyberpunk that you can't do with Shadowrun if you strip away the magic.

Someone mentioned Alternity/Dark Matter, but I don't think there's enough detail in the gun rules.

Delta Green is excellent, but doesn't have much detail in the gun rules either. Maybe you could pick up Delta Green and use GURPS to run it.

Castaigne

First Post
There's a couple of used Dark Champions listed under Amazon.com zShops.

You will need the basic Hero or Champions rulebook as well though. Dark Champions is just a sourcebook (I should have mentioned that in my previous post).

Andor

First Post
You might try Unknown Armies. It's a modern day occult horror game. It does have magic, but it's not like anything you're probably used to.

While it is not really a gun bunnies kind of game you do not want to get shot in this game. (Unless you're a chaos mage, they have issues.)

-Andor

nameless

First Post
I second the Brave New World recommendation. Everyone is a superhero with a single power package. It's a skill-based game set in a modern day alternate reality. In this reality, mutants (called Deltas) are forced to either register with the government, or flee the government at every turn. Kennedy was never killed, and has been president for over 40 years. For more info, the main book has everything you need to know. It's published by AEG.

-nameless

Last edited:

Remove ads