D&D 5E "My group uses Discord, Email, or some other form of chat to take care of in-game between-session logistics and/or role-playing." (a poll)

"My group uses asynchronous communication to take care of in-game btwn-session logistics/RPing."

• True.

Votes: 45 73.8%
  • False.

Votes: 16 26.2%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, that's twice now. :blush:

Third time you get Boss-Monster Bambi

jared padalecki moose GIF

Ringtail

World Traveller
We occasionally used things like Discord & Google Sheets to track items, equipment and treasure. But we never did this in-character. So I said False.

It was all OOC book-keeping. We've stopped using it, now that we use Foundry VTT, as we track all of our items and treasure through journals in the software. We still have a Discord channel for our game, but we do not have In-Character/In-Game or Role-Play Actions performed outside of game night.

There may have been some exceptions, such as letters or lore bits being delivered through discord, but these were rare and I can't really remember specific examples, so I don't think it really applies.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
bookkeeping, shopping, logging, & some occasional socializing. roleplay stays out of that since it complicates them needlessly. players either take to it fine or simply decide that it's beneath them & outright refuse. I've seen a player post memes & complain that they didn't see an announcement in the discord they posted memes to because they "didn't have internet"

In general I find that the more resistance there is to it from a player the more likely they are the type to "forget" rules like conditions that limit the abilities they want to use. Even technologically inept & busy folks can usually manage a "I'm pretty busy this week but want to buy some stuff can we do that on $day" or whatever

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
We have a Discord for our West Marches(esque) campaign where players are encouraged, among other interactions, to submit session recaps from their character's perspective to share intel with players who weren't involved in the session. The authoring PC will even get a 4th-wall-breaking single-use magic item for doing so. Unfortunately, that incentive has not been enough to promote greater use and we've now had 7 straight sessions without a peep. Is this a case of "They're just not that into you(r campaign)" and/or "a DM is always way more invested in a campaign than the players" and/or "a con of West Marches campaigns is a diffusion of responsibility" and/or something else? Any advice is welcomed!
Ask the players to each post just one sentence after the game in the form of a (truthful) rumor about the adventure they just had. The rule is that they can't post the same thing as someone else. If they do this, they get XP equal to 10% of what they need to level up. (Or some other amount that will move the needle.)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In my 1920's Pulp CoC game we do this occasionally. More logistics than play - working out skill advancements, DM posting clues we've found, etc.

In the Blades in the Dark campaign I just joined I expect it to be between every session - working out the results of the downtime phase, deciding what score to do next session, etc. This I expect to be the only one that's really "interactive".

For the D&D 5e sessions both played and run, except the occasional reminder when it's time to level up and subsequent posting of new character sheets there's nothing. EDIT: In the 5e game I run we also have a shared Google doc for party treasure that sometimes gets things taken or put on it. I guess technically that's "in-game".

For the Masks (teen supers) game there's a rather active off-line, but it's more like showing off art (all but one player are artists), to talking about what classes they would be in D&D, or what playbooks their D&D characters would be, or other meta-stuff. So not logistics or RP.

(All also do scheduling, but that was called out as not what was being talked about.)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Every once in a while, someone tires to handle in-game stuff out of session. It never actually gets resolved until the session, however.

Remove ads