• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Hamster died...

Jesus_marley

First Post
Her name was Weeble and she was a spaz. She had neurological problems and suffered from seizures but she lived a fairly long time considering. We originally got her as a foster and later adopted her ourselves. Despite all of her problems, she was probably the smartest hamster I have seen. She was kind of like the Stephen Hawking of hamsters.... except for the wheelchair and the quantum theory.

She was a furry bundle of contradictions. she was a consumate escape artist, yet she had balance issues. she thought of gravity as a convenient way to get from "high" to "low" quickly. she slept on her head.
Her "handle Human" skill was apparantly maxed out as she was able to train us to her various calls and other communications. she would chirp if she was hungry, she would chew the third bar from the left corner if she wanted to come out of her cage and wander.

She got sick on Friday. I took her to the vet and she was started on antibiotics for a uterine infection. she was responding well, was active and eating normally. then she died Sunday night. The vet thinks she had a stroke and passed quickly.

Even though we only had her for nine months, she will be missed.

Mycanid

First Post
bummer ... at least the she didn't die from being fed nasty pet food, but ... a loved pet is a loved pet, after all. :)

Are you considering maybe getting another one?

Jesus_marley

First Post
actually yes....

we foster animals from the Small Animal Rescue Society of B.C. Other than Weeble, we also have two rabbits that we are fostering. Once another hamster, mouse, or possibly a rat need a new home, they'll let us know and we'll take care of them until they get adopted. In the case of Weeble, she was so darn cute that we adopted her ourselves. Apparently, it happens quite often with fosters....

Harmon

First Post
Sorry to hear, it sucks when you lose someone you love. :(

Fostering takes a special breed, be proud of that, and thank you for doing it, your efforts have more likes saved a few animals. Bless your efforts.

Luck to you and yours.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Aww - that's really sad. Hamsters are so cute (my friends daughter has one named Leeroy Jenkins - yes she is a nerd). It is very good of you to foster small animals like this.

Remove ads