D&D 5E My happiness or yours.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
Well seeing as Wizards of the Coast like to quiet some of their fans instead of listening, or possibly fear what some might say, due to some threads being completely erased, I figured I would post it here for discussion.

This topic came up in the deceased "damage on a miss thread" and I thought a thread about this topic would be a great discussion. Now just to be clear, a compromise can't always be reached, nor will one be reached even if it could at times. If there is a way for everyone to get what they want then happy days, but if my happiness has to come at the cost of yours then I can say with all honesty that I can accept that. There are certain mechanics that make or break the game for them and sometimes we are faced with the decision that we either play the game or we don't. If WoTc could apply these types of conflicting mechanics, such as damage on a miss, in a way to make them optional then everyone can be happy because you can either use it or leave it out. WoTc unfortunately, aren't known for their compromise and will leave you having to make the difficult choice of either playing the game or walking away. I feel like if there came a choice, I want to be happy. I had to endure 4th edition and now I feel it's my turn to be happy if a compromise can't be met. I was told I'm being selfish for feeling this way, but I feel I am just being realistic

Last edited:

Wulfgar76

First Post
You're not making much sense, but...

Is there something inherently wrong with presenting as many options as possible, then letting groups decide what they want to use, or not use, in their game?

I notice that you have a lot of dealbreakers. Stuff that you demand not appear in the game in any form, because you personally dislike it.

EnglishLanguage

First Post
Anyways, reading the post itself....

If WoTc could apply these types of conflicting mechanics, such as damage on a miss, in a way to make them optional then everyone can be happy because you can either use it or leave it out.

So pretty much exactly what they're doing already? Damage on a Miss is a completely optional choice among 4 other options, 2 of which are weapon-neutral. Nothing forces you to take Damage on a Miss at all...well, unless you play a blaster Wizard I guess.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It really comes down to this:

If you want to play a game... you'll play the game.

That might mean there will be some individual parts you might not like the rules for, or parts of the game won't emphasize what you prefer to use the game for. But if you want to play the game, you'll do the same thing every other D&D player has done since the game first came into being... you'll adapt or change some rules to make them yours. You'll make of the game what you want. Because wanting to play the game on the whole supercedes any niggling individual rules or problems you might have with bits and pieces of it.

But at any point if you honestly believe you'd rather not play the game than change the rules you don't like... then the fact really is... you just don't want to play the game.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Don't play it. There's no shame in that. There's no problem with that. And no one else cares if you do... and no one else cares if you don't.

Accept the idea that there's already a game out there that will in fact give you all that you want with no adaptation or changes on your part, and be happy with it. But to continually bang your head against a wall wanting, hoping, and demanding that this new version of D&D will become this game that you want to play straight out of the box is a waste of your time and energy. It's never going to be that way.

The game will either give you things that make you want to play it (and make you excited enough that you're willing to overlook or change any small bits you'd rather not use)... or it won't. And so be it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think my happiness can be affected by a single little game mechanic. Even one I'm not fond of.

delericho

Legend
If there is a way for everyone to get what they want then happy days, but if my happiness has to come at the cost of yours then I can say with all honesty that I can accept that.

Quite right, too. The only thing is, everyone else would likewise prioritise their happiness over yours, and if there are more of them then there are of you, WotC should design accordingly.

Remove ads