My houserules until now:

andarilhor

First Post
---
4 - I think this takes away from the two-blade ranger a bit. The two blade ranger can use two longswords, the bow ranger has to use a longsword and a shortsword. It's not a big drawback for the bow ranger, so I don't see the problem.
---

Not exactly.
Two blades rangers get the ability to use two weapons of his size AND a feat.
Ranged rangers only get a feat.
Both receive Prime Shot, which is more benefical to the ranged ranger (say that 3 times without gag. hehehe).
So, both receiving a little ability which is more benefical to the 2-blade ranger is just balancing to me.

1 - I agree with you, I like the old 9 alignments. I would let my players use either alignment system for their characters, as alignment doesn't impact combat as much as it used to.

Just to clarify: I am using 10 alignments! The 9 original (lawful good, lawful neutral, lawful evil, neutral good, true neutral, neutral evil, chaotic good, chaotic neutral, chaotic evil) AND the 4e Unaligned.

andarilhor

First Post
First of all, thanks fissionessence for keeping my thread alive. :)

I don't want to speak for andarilhor, but I would definitely count atheism as a religion, especially for the purposes of character creation. Perhaps I have a looser definition of 'religion' than others, though. Here are some examples I can think of as religions for a D&D character:
· devout servitor of Pelor
· dedicated atheist
· 'unaligned' agnostic
· lover of no god, but spreader of chaos
· vagrant hedonist who seeks to become the 'Bacchus' of his world

I would define a religion as lens through which one views the world, and the moral parameters set by said lens. Whether this lens is set by a deity or a church or intellectual discourses is irrelevant: it's all religion.

Then again, andarilhor may have meant the characters actually have to worship a god :)

I already answer this one to Crashy75, but I want to add some things:

- Loved the "vagrant hedonist who seeks to become the 'Bacchus' of his world :)

- Also liked your idea to "gradate" a devotion (devout, dedicated, zealot, fanatical). Can make a houserule to players to define your realtion with the gods in such a way.

- In my opinion, the new take on deities in 4e, with each one having "commandments" and not obligating the followers to have the same aligment. That makes opening to very interestig characters.

For example, a neutral evil (or evil simply) rogue devout of bahamut which believes all nobles are evil and following the commandments of his god tries to kills all nobles for the cause of "justice" (hummm...I going to save this concept for later.)

They can just take their short rests back to back and turn it into a fifteen minute rest in order to identify three items. Or else, a party with a Wizard, a Warlock and an Artificer could identify the three items in just the one five minute rest.

Or to balance that you can rule a character with Arcana can indentify (mod Int) itens per short rest... I going to use this rule!

Well, Fighters don't have to be stupid, but in my opinion they should be able to identify the magical properties of such items, so I have to default to the written rules on this one. But I wouldn't be opposed to the concept that one's ability to identify a magic item depends on his or her proficiency with the item. So, then a Wizard wouldn't be able to figure out a magic sword, but a fighter would. For items where there's no real proficiency (boots, amulets, rings, etc.), the DM could determine the application of the item and choose what type of character would be most attuned to it, or else just say it's identifiable by anyone.

Take a look in my idea to magic itens power sources in the above post and say to me what you think.

andarilhor

First Post
Changes in my houserules:

0 - Litle changes to attend the english grammar purists :)

1 - Clarified the total number of aligments I using.

2 - Included phylosophy.

9 - added the houserule to Arcana trained indentify (mod Int) itens per short rest.

Added:

10 - Until make some game tests I would keep the original DCs table of DMG intead of the updated one (but without the 2 mods for skill and weapon DCs).

Verdande

First Post
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with atheist characters. So some guy says his magic powers come from Pelor, so what? The guy next to him, the wizard, has magic powers, too, and he says they don't come from anywhere. And that creepy-looking warlock fellow says his powers come from the unspeakable entities that live beyong the stars, whose very name drives mere mortals insane.

Remember, D&D isn't set in medieval Europe. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, people don't fear dragonborn, warlocks, wizards, and anything else that would have a medieval European village get its pitchforks and torches. To people in a D&D world, magic, demon-spawn, dragons, and the like aren't distant and foggy mythology. They're the real thing, and they can be found either in this village or the next village over, past the burning farmland and the ruined castle-dungeon.

Just because people acted a certain way in real medieval times doesn't mean that it's the way that people have to act in your game world. Unless you want it to, of course, and that's perfectly fine with me. Just tell your players before you start!

andarilhor

First Post
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with atheist characters. So some guy says his magic powers come from Pelor, so what? The guy next to him, the wizard, has magic powers, too, and he says they don't come from anywhere. And that creepy-looking warlock fellow says his powers come from the unspeakable entities that live beyong the stars, whose very name drives mere mortals insane.

That is not exactly atheism, but a "non-care agnostic" :) It´s totally acceptable in many settings.

For example, a commonner who makes rituals or a prayer not because believes in a god, or anything supernatural, but just because his father did that, and his grandfather, the father of him before. So, becames a cultural ritual, instead of a religious. (and that gives to me a lot of ideas with a village which makes cult to a evil god without even knowing that).

I possibly will have a character in such a way in my group, as I have warforged player who wants his warforged to have problems to understand certain concepts as faith and gods. :)

Remember, D&D isn't set in medieval Europe. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, people don't fear dragonborn, warlocks, wizards, and anything else that would have a medieval European village get its pitchforks and torches. To people in a D&D world, magic, demon-spawn, dragons, and the like aren't distant and foggy mythology. They're the real thing, and they can be found either in this village or the next village over, past the burning farmland and the ruined castle-dungeon.

Just because people acted a certain way in real medieval times doesn't mean that it's the way that people have to act in your game world. Unless you want it to, of course, and that's perfectly fine with me. Just tell your players before you start!

Exactly because of so much magic permeates the world is the reason it´s impossible to be a active atheist in such settings. In a more modern world, or in a world where gods are a more distant concept, its possible. For example, in Eberron, a wizard which tries to proves divine magic is only another take on arcane power, or yet believes the gods are only ancient archmages which the magic powers is so vast which becomes Lords of a Plane. (I NEED to save that for future use!!!)

I didn´t expect this specific houserule will make so much move in here, but keep going, you guys are giving me a lot of ideas for a future campaign. :)

andarilhor

First Post
Added a new houserule:

11 - In the Start of the Turn, before anything else add "Check your conditions".

It´s a obvious rule, but it´s not writed in nowhere, so just to clarification.

Stalker0

Legend
I like your half-elf change, that's pretty slick....and powerful!

For people who think the half-elf is lacking in power, this is a significant bump, though you need to incorporate the aid another houserule to keep it in check. If you use the standard DC 10, you quickly get a half-elf that can always provide a buddy a +2 to attack or AC while doing his own thing.

andarilhor

First Post
I like your half-elf change, that's pretty slick....and powerful!

For people who think the half-elf is lacking in power, this is a significant bump, though you need to incorporate the aid another houserule to keep it in check. If you use the standard DC 10, you quickly get a half-elf that can always provide a buddy a +2 to attack or AC while doing his own thing.

Yeah Stalker0, A houserule is connected with the other. If someone is using the DC 10 for Aid Other, or thinks my half-elf ability too powerful, I recomend limit it for once per turn.

Thanks for your opinion. I was beginning to think noone has noticed my half-elfs houserule ;)

andarilhor

First Post
I will be adding in this thread any new stuff I am developing, so will be all in a same place, instead of sparsed through the entire forum.

I developed a half-elf feat (based on my two house-rules above) and a scratch to a telepath class, any opinions are welcome:

Heroic Tier
Group Helper (Half-Elf)
Prerequisites: Half-elf, Group synergy ability
Benefit: When you use the Aid Other action, you can use a hard Dc instead of a easy DC to give a ally a +5 bônus in his or her next attack, instead of +2.

Remove ads