• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My introduction to 3 RPGs of different styles than I'm used to.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I'm a Pathfinder player, and I've played a plethora of D&D-styled (including many editions of D&D itself, obviously) and d20 RPGs. Today however was new to me.

The three games I played were definitely roleplaying games. I was playing a role of a character who wasn't me after all, but they were drastically different from the Pathfinder I'm used to.

Here were my experiences:

Arkham Horror: This one was the first game of the night, and technically to the longest to run one single game of. We ended up just barely preventing the coming of Yog-Sothoth. I was the magician Dexter Drake, and though I spent a good portion of the game lost in time and space, I ended up playing a pivotal role defeating a practically unkillable monster that was blocking our way to a gate we needed to reach. I got some great spells and (though it was heavily draining on my sanity) I managed to find weakness in a monster that was pretty much immune to all forms of damage.

I wish I'd gotten more chances to play Arkham Horror, but we only had one night, and several of the players left after the game finished. It's far too long a game to have played multiple times in one night.

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Another fun one, though I died in both of the games we played. In the first game I unleashed a banshee on my fellow players that forced them to flee haphazardly into a dead-end basement where they were bunched together with nowhere to run. I would have succeeded as the betrayer too, had they not completed their exorcism literally 1 turn before they all would have died. In the second there was no betrayer (I had hoped I'd get to do it again) but rather we were all pitted against each other in a fight for a limited number of parachutes, due to a giant bird having just carried off the house while we were inside it. I had the bad luck to be playing a child character in that round, and was beaten to death by a more muscleheaded character for my parachute (which was then stolen from him by the other child anyways, so he died too).

Again, I wish we could have played more. The banshee scenario was listed as a pretty high-numbered one in the book explaining my role as the betrayer, and I would have liked to have played a lot more of them.

Hero Quest: By the time we reached the final game to be played this night, there was only 3 of us left. The game was initially described to me as "D&D without all that annoying roleplaying", which made me a bit apprehensive, but it turned out to be okay. It wasn't really what it was described to be at any rate.

Since there were only 3 of us; the DM and 2 players, we players played 2 characters each. I played the Barbarian and the Wizard and went through a total of 6 barbarians (and 2 wizards) in the game's first 8 dungeons (which was as far as we got before the other player got too tired to continue). The game took a while to get a feel for, as it was fairly different from D&D-esque rules I'm used to, but once I started figuring out when to use my wizard's spells, and when we stumbled across magic armour that turned our dwarf from lackluster into the party tank, we started to do really well.

We're going to continue the rest of the Hero Quest dungeons at a future game night, eventually. I'm looking forward to it. My 7th barbarian was given a nice axe by the others, and my wizard's starting to pick up some neat items. I think the wizard's my favourite of them, and I like my combination of water, air, and earth spells on him (leaving fire to the elf).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm glad you had a good time, and I hope you continue your journey!

For my first several years in the gaming hobby, I only played D&D, Traveller, The Fantasy Trip/In the Labyrinth and Champions (HERO)...learned in th order.

It wasn't until I joined a group in my 12th year that I encountered a group that played a whole bunch of other games. I went from playing 4 systems to 30, 50 and eventually over 100. I didn't like them all, but I learned something from each.

That time changed the way I DM, the way I design and run PCs...

Made me a better gamer overall.

I hope your experience is similarly enlightening & enjoyable.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I played the role of a character in all three. Dexter Drake in Arkham, I forget the names of the two characters in House on the Hill, and the Barbarian and the Wizard in Hero Quest.

My personal definition of Role Playing Game is "A game in which you play the role of a specific character", so all three games qualify, by my standards anyways. perhaps not by the standards of others.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Yeah. I guess you got your own very wide definition of an RPG and it's cool, but it ain't mine. To me all three games you are talking about here are just not role playing games at all, but board games. Doesn't make them "not fun," mind you, just like a game of poker might be great fun playing, but poker just ain't an RPG to me all the same.

Wik

First Post
Not sure about the definition. Because by using it, I can presume that I'm playing the role of the french when I play Risk. Or the role of the dog when I play monopoly. Or the role of the russians when we play Diplomacy (though, to be fair, Diplomacy could probably work as a LARP if done right).

Personally, I'd define an RPG as a game in which players take roles and the game's rules do not cover every situation to encourage players creativity in their actions.

Hero Quest, however, is a LOT of fun, and it could easily become RPG-like if done right (in fact, wasn't that the original point of it?)

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I wouldn't call the French in Risk a character so much as a nation, or an army. But that's just me.

And yeah, our Hero Quest game got a lot of RP.

Remove ads