• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

my Keep on the borderlands adv.: questions and sugestions

rossik

Explorer
today i finally got my players in teh caves of chaos.

we are playing the "the classic d&d" (the one with zanzer dungeon).
players are: 2x fighter level 2, dwarf lv2, elf lv 1 (in the end of the adventure, he got to level 2), thief lv2, m-u lvl 2 and cleric lvl2. (and the evil cleric from the keep!)

we start ate the kobolds cave, and the party splited -one fighter and the elf to the "little woods" in front of the cave entrance- and the rest go to the cave.

thief and dwarf fall in the trap, and the kobolds attacked from the forest.
the party fought with all forces, the elf was unconcious and after winning the battle, they recued the dwarf and the thief.

ok, but i made a little mistake: the kobolds are suppose to do d4 of damage, and i did d6.

they retreat to the keep, heal the wounds, and in two days, they went again, but this time, to the goblins cave.

they fought with the goblins near the ogre secret room, and after the ogresmashed one fighter against the wall, the things went bad. i used the d4 damage, but they got beaten anyway.

the evil cleric from the keep decide to turn sides, and cast darknes in the m-u and still got time to cast in the cleric (the players got focused in fighting the goblins and the ogre).

results: one goblin runaway, with the evil cleric, to the commom room/goblin chief room (i didnt decide it yet). i choose not to call for goblin reforces, so the heroes pick up their unconcious fellows (mage, dwarf and fighter smashed by ogre) and run away to the town.

and thats for 2:30 hours of game.

we had a great time, lots of laughs, but here are the things:

they lack some strategy, and they got beaten very bad. should i give some tips, or let them figure themselves?

should i "level down" a little? (for the number of monsters, i mean)

the elf got to learn magic the same way as the m-u? or its like "natural", and as he lvl up, he already knows some magic?

they are new to the game, used to play "diablo"-like rpg, but they are very happy playing "the simple stuff" -their words ;) , and 3 of them have played just 2 or 3 time in life.

smootrk

First Post
Have one of the humanoid groups attempt to parlay immediately (and give them a spokesperson who speaks common)... the allied tribe could then be used as a base and or source of fodder/meat-shields in an attempt to take another portion of the caves. I suggest that one of the Orc tribes be used for this or maybe the Gnolls. One of the benefits of this method is that not only do the PCs have combat aid, but also a chance to really get to roleplay more in this module that is rather hack-n-slash otherwise.

The keep could always send in some man-at-arms with the PCs, or the PC's could hire some npcs. The prisoners within portions of the caves should absolutely be used when encountered.

Give the PCs a rescue mission or reconnaissance mission or two into the wilds to allow for a little xp earning. Make the encounters have decent rewards in both XP and material aid that can actually aid the party well when they go back to the cave.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
rossik said:
the elf got to learn magic the same way as the m-u? or its like "natural", and as he lvl up, he already knows some magic?

Elves have to learn spells and keep spellbooks, just like mages.

I love the Classic edition, BTW. It's my favorite version of D&D! Zanzer's dungeon has given me many happy hours of gaming fun...

Sounds like you are doing a good job and your players are having fun. I wouldn't alter it to make it easier.

I would role-play the enemy, though, not just use them as a foil for the PC's. That is, the enemy should not hesitate to:
- Run away
- Run away to get reinforcements
- Make a deal, as was suggested

Playing the monsters as an intelligent force makes it interesting.

Also, one of the huge advantages of D&D over computer games is the flexibility to respond to the players coming up with wacky ideas -- at first, the players will probably not understand that they have options beyond sword or spell, like negotiations, trickery, etc.

Also, if I know players, they are upset at the cleric who betrayed them, and now don't trust NPC's. This means the cleric is a good nemesis/plot driver for them now. And it also means you should have helpful PC's, back at the Keep, to balance out the "world is out to get me" feel. For example, the cleric of St. Cuthbert back at the Keep should heal our heroes for free, and maybe even give them a healing potion or two. Also, if they are successful in routing even one of the Caves, the Keep military and residents should treat them with more respect.

Another interesting option would be for the Lizardmen to come forward and agree to help the "hoomans" against the monsters of the caves. I like Lizardmen, and it's easy to imagine them not liking the evil cave dwellers.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Sounds like you're doing just fine. My gaming group actually used that module three times in our first six years (the first time of which I posted today in the Story Hour forum). In tomorrow night's game they are heading off to talk to a Bugbear King and instead of designing a new monster lair from scratch I plan on using the Caves of Chaos for the template.

rossik

Explorer
thanks for the replies, folks!

next month (yeah, we play once amonth :(), we will have a new player. he whant to be a cavalier (he never played "table" rpg, just computer).

should i use de RC? the other players will get disvantages?
or should he be just a fighter, but with knight background?

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
rossik said:
thanks for the replies, folks!

next month (yeah, we play once amonth :(), we will have a new player. he whant to be a cavalier (he never played "table" rpg, just computer).

should i use de RC? the other players will get disvantages?
or should he be just a fighter, but with knight background?

The beauty of Classic is that you don't really need 8 million classes. Just have him create a fighter and let him play it with a code of honor and buy a horse - bingo, a cavalier! ;)

DestroyYouAlot said:
The beauty of Classic is that you don't really need 8 million classes. Just have him create a fighter and let him play it with a code of honor and buy a horse - bingo, a cavalier! ;)

That's what I'd do too.

I've been thinking, since Gary died this morning, of how to honor him in my next session. Not sure, but I were running Keep on the Borderlands right now, I'd have the PC's encounter a giant centipede. That's because I ask him once on ENWorld what the first fight EVER in D&D history was, and he said it was his kids against a giant centipede, when he was testing out the rules. :\

rossik

Explorer
haakon1 said:
That's what I'd do too.

I've been thinking, since Gary died this morning, of how to honor him in my next session. Not sure, but I were running Keep on the Borderlands right now, I'd have the PC's encounter a giant centipede. That's because I ask him once on ENWorld what the first fight EVER in D&D history was, and he said it was his kids against a giant centipede, when he was testing out the rules. :\

good call, i wil do the same

Remove ads