• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My local FLGS is in trouble

MojoGM

First Post
I HIGHLY reccommend Myriad Games in Salem NH

The store is clean, the employees professional, and Dan the owner is a great guy.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
ghul said:
Three Troll Games -- thanks! This place looks pretty cool!

Name of the Game? Never heard of that one. Are they an RPG store?

Thanks for help.

--Jeff T.

Three trolls is good, they don't have a ton of RPG stuff, but they carry a lot of other games that I like and can be hard to find other places. Very nice people, although one time they did get a little annoyed when my kids kept playing with a couple of items on display :heh:

Name of the Game is located across from the Barnes & Noble - plaza next door to Old Navy. They had more stuff, but based upon one visit, I'll never return there again. Dropped in one day to pick up some paints, had my wife and kids with me. The guy working there smelled really bad, it took him almost 20 minutes to ring up my paints - he couldn't find the price, totalled it up wrong twice and got confused when I tried to correct him, and then he messed up the credit card transaction. On top of that, the way he kept staring at my kids really creeped me out. I have no idea if he was the owner or just a worker who perhaps is no longer there, but I won't be going back to find out.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
One problem might be his advertising - I am an active gamer, live 20 miles east of Manchester, and have never heard of this store. I will have to check it out.

As for stores, in the last year I have bought Gaming supplies from:

Chris's Comics in both Seabrook and Salem;
Game Castle in Derry;
and Comic Book Palace in Haverhill, MA

I also frequently find gaming supplies at collectable shows - the next one that I know of is on Sunday, June 3rd at the Galley Hatch in Hampton.

lissilambe

First Post
As a note, Name of the Game is no longer in business either. Not for quite some time. The shop was very complete, but the owner was a major issue with the place. Nice guy...but yeah, damned creepy.

Three Trolls is quite a solid game store in general, and their RPG selection is small, but they're willing to order just about anything.

And down in Cambridge, recently moved from their old location, is Pandemonium Games, now much larger and with gaming space, and a very, very good selection of gaming supplies.

Take care
Don

PatEllis15

First Post
The store that Ralph (the former manager of Paperback Bazaar) opened is JetPack comics, in Rochester.

There is also Toys From the Attic in Somersworth

Collectibles Unlimited in Concord

Silver Dragon games in Amherst (NH)

Myriad does carry one of the best selections of D&D Miniatures singles you'll find.

Pat E

replicant2

First Post
ghul said:
Thanks! I've actually been to a few of those: Red Lion Smoke Shop, many moons ago, which I didn't remember as a gaming store, but rather a comic book store.

The Red Lion Smoke Shop is a strange place. It's like wandering into a bazaar of the bizarre, to steal an old article title from Dragon Magazine. As their name indicates, they sell tobacco of all kinds. But that's just the beginning. They also sell Salem witchcraft collectibles and paraphernalia, puzzles, random nicknacks, chess sets, faux armor, t-shirts small statues, magazines, etc. You name it, they probably sell it.

Their RPG section is buried in the back of the store. It's a small hallway fairly loaded with all sorts of stuff--a lot of WOTC, but plenty of third party D&D stuff, plus miniatures, White Wolf, GURPS, and some rarities like Deadlands, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Chivalry and Sorcery, Pendragon, and Call of Cthulhu, among other games. It's worth checking out.

ghul said:
Toy Soldier -- thanks. Forgot that one. The one time I stopped by there, they were closed. I'll have to try it again.

The Toy Soldier is scant minutes from my house. Its stock of RPGs is fair at best and I think it's fair to say they make their living off of wargames. They have tons of miniatures in stock and they host games like Flames of War and Warhammer most nights on several in-store tables with terrain. They're also very friendly and have a large online ordering system if you want to pick up something not on the shelf. They also carry a large selection of comics and boardgames.

ghul said:
Name of the Game? Never heard of that one. Are they an RPG store?

Well, they were an RPG store, though apparently they are out of business, which is too bad. It was a disorganized, messy little store and the owner was--a bit odd, I'll leave it at that. But the guy had a TON of RPG merchandise. I found a bunch of old 1E and 2E modules and supplements, Dragon/Dungeon back issues, and many other out of print games (old Runequest, Traveller, etc.). There was stacks of stuff everywhere and dice all over the counter.

ghul said:
Thanks for help.

--Jeff T.

No problem!

Waldorf

First Post
Gaming stores rarely discount the most recent releases from gaming publishers. As a result, they get killed by sellers like Amazon.

If they refuse to compete in the marketplace or, worse, expect people to willingly throw away money in order to 'support' their store, they deserve to go under.

Simple as that. No tears.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
PatEllis15 said:
Collectibles Unlimited in Concord

They either moved or went out of business - I stopped by there recently and it was now a used furniture store.

PatEllis15 said:
Silver Dragon games in Amherst (NH)
I've been meaning to check them out since they run Pirates CCG games there.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
replicant2 said:
The Toy Soldier is scant minutes from my house. Its stock of RPGs is fair at best and I think it's fair to say they make their living off of wargames. They have tons of miniatures in stock and they host games like Flames of War and Warhammer most nights on several in-store tables with terrain. They're also very friendly and have a large online ordering system if you want to pick up something not on the shelf. They also carry a large selection of comics and boardgames.
Yep, that's always been The Toy Soldier. They've been around since the 1970's (although they've probably moved seven or eight times at this point - often to different town). I bought my very first set of D&D miniatures there way back in 1981. They used to host "Wargamers Weekends" which were local cons that were about two-thirds Wargaming and one-third Role Playing.

PatEllis15

First Post
Silver Moon said:
They either moved or went out of business - I stopped by there recently and it was now a used furniture store.

I believe they moved in early-Mid 2006. They are now at 25 South Street.

It is my feeling that game stores need to be smart. That does not mean that they must sell all titles at 25% off. I'm willing to pay a premium to see a book, and flip through it before I buy it. I value the meeting place that a FLGS (as opposed to the plain old LGS) can be.

Pat E

Remove ads