• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My name is "Defendant Radzikowski"

Obryn

Hero
I'll just echo the above. I know you want your case heard in the court of public opinion, but I don't know that your post in any way exonerates you. I'd get a lawyer who can advise you on the best way to proceed. He'll probably tell you to make a list of everyone who might have 'borrowed' your PDF - so I'd get to work on that ASAP.

-O

Odhanan

Adventurer
I strongly suggest if you are who you say you are, to not speak about the case and get an attorney. Even if they can't prosecute you because you are in a foreign country, your statements could be used against you in the court proceedings.

THIS.

If you are who you say you are, stop writing about this case on message boards whatsoever.

Get an attorney. Get legal advice.

Posting on message boards in this instance is a form of self-publication. The information you provide here could be used against you.

I strongly urge you to get advice from a lawyer.

Obryn

Hero
Yes... the comments of lawyers in this thread rightly concerned that the OP should seek legal advice and stop posting about this are perfectly appropriate... but if the OP is unconcerned by this law-suit, never intending to come anywhere near the jurisdiction of the US federal courts, it's perhaps less pressing advice than it would be if the OP were in the USA.
Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-O

Stoat

Adventurer
While it is a possibility that Internet rants are going to trigger a surge of nerd rage and WotC will drop the case in shame, it is a near-certainty that Habro's lawyers will run a simple Google search to see if defendant has said anything about this online.

WotC's lawyers don't even have to run a google search. Multiple WotC employees post here regularly. It is beyond doubt that they have already taken note of this thread.

S'mon

Legend
WotC is out of their mind if they believe that a civil suit in the United States is going to get any traction within Poland.

Just my two cents.

I expect they intend to either extract money/apologies/etc from the respondent, or more likely get a judgement in default in a friendly US court. With no commercial distribution it doesn't seem like any US judgement would conceivably be enforceable in a Polish court, and I'm sure WoTC have no intention of going to Poland.

It would still be worth seeking advice on the situation in Polish law, though.

Jack99

Adventurer
If I were the OP, I wouldn't worry too much, being in Poland. Europe is not the USA, things work quite differently over here.

But hey, don't take my word for it, ask a lawyer ;)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Even if they don't, he will be asked during written discovery if he has made any statements about the underlying occurrences. So either he can lie about it or he can disclose the statements. And the more he posts, the more likely he'll say something that creates trouble down the line.

Get off the web, man, and get a lawyer.

What written discovery? The defendant is in Poland. US Courts can't extradite someone for discovery in a civil case. Unless the defendant chooses to fight this in the US Courts the case will be decided in WotC favor for non-appearance. WotC is then obligated to refile in Poland in order to collect its judgment. He may want to contact a lawyer about the possibility of this and what to do, but there will be no discovery unless he chooses to come to the US and fight.

Odhanan

Adventurer
If I were the OP, I wouldn't worry too much, being in Poland. Europe is not the USA, things work quite differently over here.
I am no lawyer but studied law in France. There, internet postings, emails and such are considered published material and are considered admissible evidence in courts. I strongly suspect this is also the case in Poland.

Since we both aren't lawyers, I strongly suggest to the defendant in this case to stop his postings on the web about this case altogether and get legal advice immediately.

Eldragon

First Post
Here is a very useful guide to the US legal system:

Removed by admin. This is not the place for an off-topic quasi-political screed that has nothing to do with D&D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads