• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E My Neverwinter Campaign. (WAS: 4e Any contradictions between FR guides and Neverwinter setting?)

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I will be putting together a short (heroic plus a few levels maybe) campaign that starts in Neverwinter. The Nw setting material is on the way to me. I have and have perused the original FR guides.

Before I tackle NW, are there any contradictions I should look out for as I go through the material. NW comes highly recommended. The base FR...not so much.

This thread may morph in to some brainstorming as well. For example, I am sure the team will take a trip to the shadowfell at some point and i will need some help meshing cosmology and deity there. I plan to shoe horn Shadowfell Published material and want to ensure I can, for example, reconcile the Raven Queen taking the place of Shar.

Last edited:

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Between the FR and NW guides... it won't be so much direct contradictions as opposed to "re-tooled/purposed". An example would be the stats of a given NPC - NW is meant for the Heroic tier. It "downgraded" the stats so that foes that would ~usually~ be well into paragon or even epic tier can be tackled by heroic characters.

If those are contradictions will depend upon how you see what the stats mean :
1 - stats are an example of a mechanical implementation of X thing : you're good to go.
2 - stats are a reflection of the in-world "truth" or "physics" of X thing : then, yeah... there are some contradictions in there.

In terms of the story, metaplot, events etc. I've not found anything glaring - but I'm not an FR buff by any means and haven't read the FR book with the intent of retention or study.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I ran a Neverwinter 4E campaign (recently concluded at level 14) and much of my source material actually came from 2E's FR5 The Savage Frontier so you could put in the camp of those who don't see any real contradiction. I must admit, though, I took out a fair bit of the Salvatore-derived stuff (Ashmadai, in particular).

As for the Raven Queen replacing Shar: personally, I wouldn't do that. But having her replace Kelemvor? Now that could be interesting especially if it turns out to be some plot of Myrkul whose remains still exist in the Mere of Dead Men... or even the imprisoned Cyric who also once held the position. ;)

S'mon

Legend
I'm 91 sessions in to a 4e Forgotten Realms campaign centred on Orcus + Szass Tamm vs Shar & Everyone Else :D - http://frloudwater.blogspot.co.uk/
Naturally I've used a lot of the default 4e setting Raven Queen vs Orcus material, though Shar & Raven Queen have some major differences, eg Kelemvor not Shar is god of the dead, Shar uses rather than hates Undead, Unaligned vs Evil, etc.

Shar herself made an appearance at the end of "Demon Queen's Enclave" - http://frloudwater.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/session-59-die-zirithian-die.html
600_338235082.jpeg

I've used a bunch of the Neverwinter material of course, notably the Thay vs Netheril conflict. IMC Szass Tamm has just captured Shar in Tharkorsil's Seat and it's not looking good for Faerun.
Anyway happy to discuss ideas. :)

Last edited:

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Fire away. I love talking about campaigns in FR. :)

As stated earlier I will be creating an arc for Herioc tier (plus a level or two if needed). I have minimal time to prepare, let alone the time required to get the group together to play.

First the caveat that I am still in the beginning stages of going through the source material. I have now read bits of Neverwinter Campaign Setting and will continue to do that over the next few days to further familiarize myself. I perused the FR Campaign and players guides for background but will probably not reference them much any more.

I skimmed the Shards adventure, and also have Gates of Neverdeath but have not looked at it yet. I am considering buying "Lost Crown as Well" but have not. My understanding is that Lost Crown does not have the best reputation, but that would not neccesarily scare me away.

Here is why, and what I am thinking:
  • each of the players will have a Neverwinter Specific background (not sure which ones yet but definitely an Ill. Guardian Eladrin in the mix, looking for info about his past/homeland)
  • I have limited time so must rely somewhat on published work
  • I am going to limit the 'factions' to 4 or 5: Red Wizards, Neverembers guys, Sons of Al., Maybe some Dwarves, ?
  • On the other hand, As we move through the arc, I want to tailor adventures to characters' themes and motives if possible
  • I plan to use the Gates of NeverDeath as a start, quick and easy
  • They will then, probably, move on to a shortened version of Shards of Selune as they get familiar with the city
  • I then plan to use Lost Crown as the "fall back" adventure if nothing strikes the adventurers fancy right away

Will this framework allow them enough opportunity to go off and explore some other intrigue surrounding Neverwinter? I envision potentially characters wanting to find Gauntlgrym, Go after some Red Wizards, Take over Lordship of Neverwinter itself, etc. I just don't know what they will come up with and need a decent enough fall back plan if it takes a while for those interests to become apparent.

Hoping this ramble makes some sense.

S'mon

Legend
As stated earlier I will be creating an arc for Herioc tier (plus a level or two if needed). I have minimal time to prepare, let alone the time required to get the group together to play.

First the caveat that I am still in the beginning stages of going through the source material. I have now read bits of Neverwinter Campaign Setting and will continue to do that over the next few days to further familiarize myself. I perused the FR Campaign and players guides for background but will probably not reference them much any more.

I skimmed the Shards adventure, and also have Gates of Neverdeath but have not looked at it yet. I am considering buying "Lost Crown as Well" but have not. My understanding is that Lost Crown does not have the best reputation, but that would not neccesarily scare me away.

Here is why, and what I am thinking:
  • each of the players will have a Neverwinter Specific background (not sure which ones yet but definitely an Ill. Guardian Eladrin in the mix, looking for info about his past/homeland)
  • I have limited time so must rely somewhat on published work
  • I am going to limit the 'factions' to 4 or 5: Red Wizards, Neverembers guys, Sons of Al., Maybe some Dwarves, ?
  • On the other hand, As we move through the arc, I want to tailor adventures to characters' themes and motives if possible
  • I plan to use the Gates of NeverDeath as a start, quick and easy
  • They will then, probably, move on to a shortened version of Shards of Selune as they get familiar with the city
  • I then plan to use Lost Crown as the "fall back" adventure if nothing strikes the adventurers fancy right away

Will this framework allow them enough opportunity to go off and explore some other intrigue surrounding Neverwinter? I envision potentially characters wanting to find Gauntlgrym, Go after some Red Wizards, Take over Lordship of Neverwinter itself, etc. I just don't know what they will come up with and need a decent enough fall back plan if it takes a while for those interests to become apparent.

Hoping this ramble makes some sense.

Sounds good to me - in particular you are wise to limit the number of factions, as written there are way too many. If you are running short of ideas you can always introduce a new faction, whereas removing active factions would be difficult. However I would recommend more than one Evil faction, Red Wizards plus Netheril, Abolethic Sovereignty, Drow, Orcs... whichever one you fancy. Otherwise your three Unaligned/Good factions are likely to just ally vs the one Evil faction. More fun if the PCs have to negotiate opposing Evil factions!

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
[MENTION=87576]Scrivener of Doom[/MENTION]

@S'mon

Either of you run or use material from Lost Crown of Neverwinter in your campaigns? I do think it is possible an Arc that the group will explore is whether one of them is the true heir. I am thinking of biting the bullet on the paper adventure (maps!). Maybe I should just go the 'drivethrough' route instead and have a look?

I have to admit, for a two combat Railroad Station, "gates of neverdeath" actually looks pretty darn useful upon my read. If "Lost Crown" proved to be that useful, It may be worth picking up as my "main line" for the PCs to return to if the spurs they travel fizzle out.

I am pretty sure that This Neverember character will intrigue the team enough when they eventually meet him. (I hope the analogy works, but think "Arnold Shwarzenegger in his role as the Governator" Everyone seems to like him, but they are not sure why? And why is he so darn politically motivated, yet casually charismatic?) What is he up to? Is it all on him? Does somebody else "own" him? Hrm.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
No, I've not seen it, and IMC which is based around Loudwater, Neverwinter is "that offstage place with the annoying Drow that the Elminster Expy has to go to to deal with the latest Realms-shaking threat" - it doesn't really figure in play, though I use lots of stuff from the guide.

Remove ads