• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

my new favorite tactic...

mseds99

First Post
I have a 5th level conjurer/4th level gnomish oozemaster. My nasty little lady likes to cast Evard's black tentacles while she walks amongst the grappled enemies and oozy touches them to death. It' just such a cool damm way to wipe out your enemies, I can't stop doing it!

Is there anything mechanically wrong with the tactic I'm using? I never meant to power game with this character, but she's proving to be a nasty character in terms of combat power.

Victim

First Post
'Nor do they attack objects that are smaller than a medium sized creature."

Objects, not characters or creatures.

Murrdox

First Post
The only problem I see with this is that there's nothing that says the tentacles don't try to grapple with the caster!

So you could cast the spell, and if all the tentacles were grappling a creature, you could walk amongst them, but as soon as you killed one of the creatures, the tentacle that was holding it would try to grab on to you.

If not all the tentacles were grappling with opponents, any that you walked within 10 feet of would attempt to grab you.

WAIT!! Nevermind... I just read the SRD, which says that the Tentacles don't try to grab anything that's smaller than medium-sized... and since your character is a gnome, that means you're safe from the effects.

Nice job... creative use of a spell! I can definitely see how a gnomish conjurer would make this spell his signature spell.

Murrdox

First Post
Victim said:

Wait, on second thought after reading Victim... my first thought was right... this is only refering to objects, not characters.

I suspect this is a safety mechanism thrown into the spell so that a character can't simply take off a boot and toss it at the tentacles to get them all confused and focused on the boot.

Darklone

Victim said:

IMHO it reads objects... that are creatures. Well. In my case they won't attack small enemies or allies. Anyone with more clear FAQ about that?

hong

WotC's bitch
Victim said:

Err... and? It would be pretty bizarre to say that Evard's black tentacles can only grapple objects (of size M or larger), and not creatures.

The defense against this is (as always) dispel magic. In fact, I'm beginning to regard the required use of dispel magic as the first sign of a broken tactic. :)

Zhure

First Post
"Nor do they attack objects that are smaller than a medium sized creature."

This prevents you from disabling an Evards with a handful of marbles.

Greg

Halma

First Post
Spectral Hand

Spectral hand first round

Evard's the next

Ooze the last while at least 25' back from enemy and your Black Tenticles.

Great application of spell combo's by the way.

Halma/Shorty

Remove ads