• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My next character.

Sekhmet

First Post
In an upcoming campaign, I'll be playing a Changeling Factotum/Chameleon, probably adding Warshaper toward the later half of my character's life.
I would really like to have no face, as it fits in very well with the personality I've drawn up for the character - a man with no ego. With no ego means no identity, so it is natural to want to have no personal face.

How can I glamer my way into not having a face and how can I overcome the blindness/deafness factor of having no eyes or ears?

Additionally, to further my goal of being the Party Face(less)/Skill Monkey, how can I improve the class combination to further that goal? I've been reading through the Factotum/Chameleon handbooks, and they have a lot of great ideas, but I was looking for additional input.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
That would really hurt when he sneezed.

Couldn't he just wear a mask? Or a drawn cloak and hood?

edit: Sometimes the impression of mysteriousness works as well (or better) than being mysterious.

Which is better, a guy without a face, or a guy whose face no one ever sees?

Last edited:

anest1s

First Post
Actually...I am playing a changeling factotum/rogue right now, and I plan to go chameleon asap.

It is awesome. With 5+ ranks on tumble I can use total defense and end up with 26 AC (when I dress up as a shield warrior). Awesome DEX based skills (you get your INT as bonus from factotum). I will stay on 3 level factotum, so the 1 lvl 1 spell isn't too much- but it helps. I got rogue for the skills. And the sneak attack isn't too bad.

I am paranoiac about hiding my identity. I never used my name in-game so far. Even the DM forgot that the name I usually use isn't my real one - and my real one is on the char sheet too.

My main problem is that according to the *xxx*:rant: FAQ you make a magical aura around you when disguised. I was about to burn my sheet when I heard that.

No face you mean like walk around with a blank face? You could wear a mask over your blank face - a blank one ;)
Claim that you have some disease or something.
Also remember to have secret signals with the other party members so they know when "you" are you.

Dandu

First Post
Chameleon is a fun PrC, but I think you get more as a Factotum from going straight Factotum. IMHO, YMMV, OMGWTFBBQ.

Duke Arioch

First Post
Have you thought about Cabinet Trickster PrC (Races of Eberron)?
Moving unnoticed among the humanoid races, the
changeling and doppelganger members of the Cabinet
of Faces pursue an agenda known only to themselves.
Spies, assassins, and other agents serving the cabinet
work in every level of society, from back alleys to
government palaces.
Cabinet tricksters are the changeling agents of this
mysterious cabal. As he learns increasingly to master
the alteration of his form, the cabinet trickster eventually
gains the full mutability and mindreading powers
of his doppelganger ancestry. Equally important, he
learns to use his mental abilities to hamper his enemies,
facilitating quick escapes or deadly attacks.
Easy req (disguise 9, 1 so-so feat), and you loose 2 BAB over 5 lvls, get 6+int mod skill points, good ref and will, and as capstone, Minor Change shape becomes Change shape (small or medium humanoid).

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
-First off, what @Jackinthegreen said. Master of Masks fits the Factotum and Chameleon versatility theme, even though too much multiclassing is likely to water things down.

-Gain Blindsight somehow. And Tremorsense.

-Move your ears either as reptilian inner ears, or to another location on your body, covered by clothing. To the edge of your shoulders or something, if you can get away with it with your DM. Do something similar with your eyes.

...Have fun with that. I designed a Changeling with the Half-Doppleganger template (+2 LA) Fighter1/Rogue2/Bard2/Warshaper4/Cabinent Trickster 5/Mindspy4. He was the final villain and father of a Changeling Warlock PC and the object of this PC's persuit. This CHangeling/Doppleganger was designed to be as elusive as possible. I had fun playing him as a DM.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Empirate

First Post
I just want to point out that Master of Masks is horrible from a pure optimization standpoint, if you take more than 1 or at most 2 levels. The Faceless mask is actually quite useful (although its use will peter out at higher levels), and if you should pick up a second mask, I'd strongly consider the Gladiator for even more versatility, this one combat-oriented.

Duke Arioch

First Post
A couple of levels of binder (even 1 lvl dip) could grant you fun abilities. Naberius is very nice, and fits the flavor of your character.

Sekhmet

First Post
Wonderful suggestions all around. 1 levels of Master Of Masks gets me two masks (Faceless and Gladiator), as per Empirates and Jackinthegreen's suggestion.

The Cabinet Trickster is also a very interesting idea. 5 Factotum/9 Chameleon/5 Cabinet Trickster/1 Master of Masks could fill the character in my head very well. I'm suffering from a lack of skill points, but (hopefully) my Int will be able to manage.

[MENTION=94230]anest1s[/MENTION] I like that idea a lot. I was planning to use my disguise powers more or less constantly, changing personalities, faces, and body sizes dozens of times throughout the day, depending on the situation. Perhaps if I'm doing something impish, I'd become a young Elf boy, or if I'm giving advice on a situation I would assume the form of a wise old sage.

One of the hurdles I have to overcome is acquiring a permanent Tongues as early as possible. Since I can't permanency myself until level 12, are there any items that you guys can think of that are relatively cheap that grant you the Tongues ability? Also, Mind Blank?
Also, as it is obvious that I'm not super effective in combat, are there any quick and dirty (non-class feature) methods of gaining Int to attack or damage rolls? I'll be picking up Knowledge Devotion, Factotum 3 arguably grants Int to attack and damage as well (but most likely not).

My set up seems to be this.
[sblock=Character build]
1 Factotum 1: Nymph's Kiss (DM consented), Flaw (Vulnerable?): Persona Immersion, Flaw (Curious?): Able Learner, Trait: Absent-Minded
3 Factotum 3: Knowledge Devotion
6 Factotum 5/Chameleon 1: Imperious Command
9 Chameleon 3/Cabinet Trickster 1: Master of Poisons
12 Cabinet Trickster 4:
15 Chameleon 4/Cabinet Trickster 5/Master of Masks 1:
18 Chameleon 7:

My two bonus feats from Cabinet Trickster will be Quick Change and Racial Emulation, most probably.
[/sblock]
I'm honestly stumped as to what I should pick or those last three feats. Perhaps Obtain Familiar/Item familiar?

Does my floating feat from Chameleon allow me to Open Mind for 5 extra skill points every day, basically making every skill max ranks after a few weeks? The wording suggests so.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads