• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My own system

DungeonMaester

First Post
Primarily, I would like play testers and editors for it. I am in the proccess of writing the first beta rules light version now from the rough copy. Here is the Preface:
Preface

Tabaula Rasa is a Latin term meaning ‘Blank slate’ and generally refers to the school of thought that humans are born with no inherent programing. For the pourpouse this game Tabula Rasa is the fictousous school of thought that the supernatual most certainly exist, but we as the people in socity are the preverabl ‘Blank Slate to things that are of super natural .

Through the looking glass of this game, you play a “Normal” person (thought how normal the character is is entirly in your hands. A College professor and a Army Ranger have vary different ideas on what is normal to them.) living ther ‘Normal’ life from day to day in till some thing extra ordnary happens to them. This event is what the plot of the story is based around. This event doesn’t have to be unbelive ethier. It could be rather extreme circumstances but something that still could happen to you inq every day life.

The three types of adventures to have are listed as the following: Extra-Ordnary, Super Natural and Horrorific. Each one as discribed proved a different sort of game play with very little overlap, but the game master may provide more overlap if that person feels it is nesssaciy for their campign.

The Extra-ordinary style of game is the one that is grounded in reality of the three. In this type nothing truly strange happens, rather something we take for granate every day happens and turns how the characters live on their day to day life on the pulverable ear. This could be anything from the players must go into witness protection and never see their love ones again, there is a terrorist attack and the land they live in turns into pure Anarchy, The nukular age comes, and they players must fight to survive. In this style, ‘powers’ and such are not used.

The Super-Natural style is only like the aforementioned extra-ordinary style in that something happens which changes the lives of the players and most times, the entire world, only this does supernatural elements to it as it’s name suggests. Examples of playing in this style would be: Psionic powers have just been discovered and the all the world’s organizations are rushing to best harness them, Massive planar gates that have been shut for thousands of years open bringing strange power and even stranger creatures with them, the Nukular age is upon us, and people are getting useful Mutant powers. This style makes the most use the powers template.

The Horror style can be a toss up of the supernatural or just some really creepy circumstances or on the flip side of the coin something so out of control that all hope seems lost, like a giant mutant lizards attacks New York and almost no weapon can affect it. In the Horror style it is mostly typical that there are super natural things that happen, but its almost always to the players. If players do have access to powers then most of the time it serves to be the key to ending what ever curse has fallen upon them.

This takes up 1 page in microsoft word but I still think there should be a little more about the game, although I feel the rest of it is explained in the mechanics that follow it.

So, I am looking for any free edits you will give me at this point of time. THanks,

---Rusty

Do you expect people to mix Extraordinary, Supernatural and Horror adventures, or is this a kind of "campaign tier" system, as in "This system is flexible enough to cover all 3, and provides rules appropriate for each type of campaign."

The whole "tier"-system of 4E got me thinking about how to apply this to other games - like "heroic", "superhero", "god-like", and your differentiation reminds me of such tiering of gameplay and campaigns.

DungeonMaester

First Post
I don't understand how it can be looked at and thought of tiers like in 4th edition. What I was going for really was three different genres of game: The science fiction setting, the Drama setting, and the Horror setting. This game's purpose is to serve as a template to create a normal guy and be thrown head long into the 'main event' of the plot.

---Rusty

Nadaka

First Post
The issue I see is this: The qualities you describe are far from distinct in practice. Both supernatural and horror themed stories often involve otherwise normal people thrust into a unique situation, just like your extra-ordinary theme. Likewise many horror stories have a strong overlap with the supernatural.

Also, from a purely editorial point of view:
pourpouse = purpose
fictousous = fictitious
supernatual = supernatural
socity = society
preverabl = proverbial
entirly = entirely
ther = their
ordnary = ordinary
unbelive =unbelievable
ethier = either
inq = in
Horrorific = horrific
discribed = described
nesssaciy = necessary
campign = campaign
granate = granted
nukular = nuclear
There are a few grammatical errors as well. But much less outstanding than the spelling issues.

This takes up 1 page in microsoft word but I still think there should be a little more about the game, although I feel the rest of it is explained in the mechanics that follow it.

So, I am looking for any free edits you will give me at this point of time. THanks,

---Rusty

If you're using Microsoft Word, it should have spell checker and even grammatic checker. I don't remember how to switch it own, though. I haven't used M$ Office in years, relying on OpenOffice or LaTex instead...

What I was going for really was three different genres of game: The science fiction setting, the Drama setting, and the Horror setting. This game's purpose is to serve as a template to create a normal guy and be thrown head long into the 'main event' of the plot.
So, the game will basically let the players create a "ordinary guy", and the setting part will provide for rules for setting-appropriate threats and subsystems (maybe a horror game should have a horror mechanic aka Call of Cthulhu , or a "true death" mechanic aka Torg Orrorsh Realm?). Sounds interesting, though I wonder how the PC/monster balancing will work in such diverse settings.

DungeonMaester

First Post
The issue I see is this: The qualities you describe are far from distinct in practice. Both supernatural and horror themed stories often involve otherwise normal people thrust into a unique situation, just like your extra-ordinary theme. Likewise many horror stories have a strong overlap with the supernatural.

Indeed they do, and that is something I tried to address in the description of the genres. In the Supernatural genre I implied that you will be playing a character with powers in world made up with people that have powers. This could be a psionic campaign, or a Street fighter campaign. In a Horror game you play a regular guy to who strange and creepy things happen to them. I'll edit it to be more clear on that.

Also, from a purely editorial point of view:
pourpouse = purpose
fictousous = fictitious
supernatual = supernatural
socity = society
preverabl = proverbial
entirly = entirely
ther = their
ordnary = ordinary
unbelive =unbelievable
ethier = either
inq = in
Horrorific = horrific
discribed = described
nesssaciy = necessary
campign = campaign
granate = granted
nukular = nuclear
There are a few grammatical errors as well. But much less outstanding than the spelling issues.

Ham-handedness and a broken Microsoft word makes me look for more incompetent with the english language then I really am. :blush: I'll go through and edit these mistakes. Nukular was on purpose though. I was going for a spelling that was like [link]http://www.nuklearpower.com/index.php[/link]

DungeonMaester

First Post
If you're using Microsoft Word, it should have spell checker and even grammatic checker. I don't remember how to switch it own, though. I haven't used M$ Office in years, relying on OpenOffice or LaTex instead...
I should, but for what ever reason, it is broken and the spell checker comes up with a error instead. Proofreading is more difficult with out the red and green squiggly lines.

So, the game will basically let the players create a "ordinary guy", and the setting part will provide for rules for setting-appropriate threats and subsystems (maybe a horror game should have a horror mechanic aka Call of Cthulhu , or a "true death" mechanic aka Torg Orrorsh Realm?). Sounds interesting, though I wonder how the PC/monster balancing will work in such diverse settings.
According the the GNS theory of game design this game is a narrative, and is as rules light as I can possible create it to be.

Thanks for the imput every one.

DungeonMaester

First Post
Sorry for the 3 post in a row, but for some reason when I try to edit post, it says That it wont go through needing to be at least 3 characters long.

Here is the edited Preface:

Preface

Tabula Rasa is a Latin term meaning ‘Blank slate’ and generally refers to the school of thought that humans are born with no inherent programing. For the purpouse this game Tabula Rasa is the fictitious school of thought that the supernatural most certainly exist, but we as the people in society are the pulverable ‘Blank Slate to things that are of super natural .

Through the looking glass of this game, you play a “Normal” person (thought how normal the character is is entirely in your hands. A College professor and a Army Ranger have vary different ideas on what is normal to them.) living their ‘Normal’ life from day to day in till some thing extra ordinary happens to them. This event is what the plot of the story is based around. This event doesn’t have to be unbelievable ether. It could be rather extreme circumstances but something that still could happen to you in every day life.

The three types of adventures to have are listed as the following: Extra-Ordinary, Super Natural and Horror. Each one as described proved a different sort of game play with very little overlap, but the game master may provide more overlap if that person feels it is necessary for their campaign.

The Extra-ordinary style of game is the one that is grounded in reality of the three. In this type nothing truly strange happens, rather something we take for granted every day happens and turns how the characters live on their day to day life on the pulverable ear. This could be anything from the players must go into witness protection and never see their love ones again, there is a terrorist attack and the land they live in turns into pure Anarchy, The nuklearage comes, and they players must fight to survive. In this style, ‘powers’ and such are not used.

The Super-Natural style is only like the aforementioned extra-ordinary style in that something happens which changes the lives of the players and most times, the entire world, only this does supernatural elements to it as it’s name suggests. Examples of playing in this style would be: Psionic powers have just been discovered and the all the world’s organizations are rushing to best harness them, Massive planar gates that have been shut for thousands of years open bringing strange power and even stranger creatures with them, the Nuklear age is upon us, and people are getting useful Mutant powers. This style makes the most use the powers template.

The Horror style can be a toss up of the supernatural or just some really creepy circumstances or on the flip side of the coin something so out of control that all hope seems lost, like a giant mutant lizards attacks New York and almost no weapon can affect it. In the Horror style it is mostly typical that there are super natural things that happen, but its almost always to the players. If players do have access to powers then most of the time it serves to be the key to ending what ever curse has fallen upon them.

Note: Nuklear is spelt that way on purpose.

Do you still think 'styles' of game is to confusingly written to mistaken by the D&D 'tiers'? I was going for more of the GURPS 'genre' as they explain the heroic, realistic, and cinematic campaigns. If it is, then I will expand on that in the 'character creation' section, which is next on the to-do list.

Last edited:

DungeonMaester

First Post
You really should go with openoffice.org then. Its free, and its very good, and very compatible.

I tired to download it but after a while of jumping up and up in download time in till it jumped to not on your life buddy. Guess I have to stop being cheap and mooching of the city's wifi. :erm:

So..Question time:

1) How do you feel about the explanation about the for the game's name?
2) Do you feel there is any confusion in the expaination of the genre?
3) Do you feel that there is too much over lap between the three genres?

---Rusty

Remove ads