• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My pared down house rules list

So, when I run 4e, this is what I'm shooting for:

1. Inherent bonuses without magic items. At 3rd level you get a +1 inherent bonus to all attack and damage rolls. This increases to +2 at 7th, +3 at 13th, +4 at 17th, +5 at 23rd, and +6 at 27th.

At 5th level you get a +1 inherent bonus to all defenses. This increases to +2 at 9th, +3 at 15th, +4 at 19th, +5 at 25th, and +6 at 29th.

2. One Action Point per encounter. They don’t carry over to later encounters.

3. Daily items have just the daily limit, not the encounter limit.

4. A multiclass feat, in addition to its existing benefits, lets you choose powers from that class, without requiring a power swap feat. Since enhancement bonuses from magic items don’t exist, feel free to flavor your implements however you want, or ignore them entirely.

5. Any effect that is based on a stat’s bonus acts as if you had at least a 14 in that stat. Any effect that requires a certain build functions as if you have that build, if it is applicable. (For instance, storm sorcerers can take powers intended for cosmic sorcerers without feeling like chumps.)

6. Every character gets a Do Something Cool power card.

7. If you roll a die off the table and lands on 20, it counts.

malcolm_n

Adventurer

If you roll a die off the table and lands on 20, it counts.

This. A thousand times, this. It's such an elegant solution, and I've literally never considered it. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

The enhancement rules can be covered with the DMG 2 Inherent bonuses. Most people agree that one AP per encounter flat helps combat go faster, just watch out for AP bonus abusers in paragon/epic tier. As to Multiclass feats, I don't personally mind the swaps but I know plenty who do; seems a fair rule with that in mind.

I can't quite understand why you would remove the encounter limitation on Magic Item Dailies, though. Without it, a character could totally ruin a solo creature in short order with the right items.

mmaranda

First Post
Die Rolls off the Table

My only house rule that sticks with me across editions and even game types is:

If you fail to hit the table you fail to hit the monster. (If you roll off the table it is an auto-miss)

I can't quite understand why you would remove the encounter limitation on Magic Item Dailies, though. Without it, a character could totally ruin a solo creature in short order with the right items.

Eh, this is just a flavor change. I don't like the idea that my magic sword can't explode with fire if I had my magic cloak teleport me within the past five minutes. I also want to minimize the amount of "build mentality," so PCs won't automatically get the magic items they want. I don't think it will be a problem.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)

5. Any effect that is based on a stat’s bonus acts as if you had at least a 14 in that stat. Any effect that requires a certain build functions as if you have that build, if it is applicable. (For instance, storm sorcerers can take powers intended for cosmic sorcerers without feeling like chumps.)

My only problem with your list of rules is the first half of this one, because it encourages players to make tertiary stats dump stats. Taclord? Why bother putting your third highest stat in Charisma? Odds are it isn't better than a 14, and you're better off stuffing your 8 there and sticking that higher stat somewhere else for skill or feat purposes. If all of your players build for character concept before min/maxing I could see this never being abused. That said, I really like the second part of this rule, and really most of the other rules. If all magic items contribute is a power (no more attack/defense bonuses) I could see the appeal in removing the encounter limit on item powers.

We have what amounts to a "Go Right Ahead" feat, which essentially modifies a flavor element of an existing rule to better fit a character concept. What to be a Spearmage? Go right ahead. Feel your taclord concept cues more off of wisdom than intelligence? Go right ahead, wisdom is now your secondary attribute. As long as the DM adjudicates fairly and players remember the "better fit a character concept" aspect of the feat it's generally worked wonders.

Hecateus

First Post
re die off table.
If it rolls off table you miss...unless it is clearly a 20. But, you are stunned until the beginning of your next turn (and stunned only on that 20).

It's a Hail Mary self-amazement thing.

Asmor

First Post
My only house rule that sticks with me across editions and even game types is:

If you fail to hit the table you fail to hit the monster. (If you roll off the table it is an auto-miss)

That's what I do; if it rolls off the table, it's a an automatic 1.

I'm considering instituting a similar rule for cocked dice, such that if a die is cocked and it's hard to tell between two results, you take the lower of the two. Not quite as nasty as rolling off the table because cocked dice are more common and a little harder to prevent.

The idea being, of course, you give everyone an incentive to make sure they're rolling their dice on the table and on a level surface which provides unambiguous results, since to do otherwise just slows the game down if not outright breaking the momentum as people go searching for their lost dice...

Remove ads