• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

my PC's are in a small city. now what....

LazerPointer

First Post
The basics: 8 PC's, homebrew without elves, fairly provincial part of the world. The city has gargyles that are tolerated because they keep the vampire spawn in check. So far I've created the usual scheming noble houses, a powerful guild system, and two main criminal organizations. I have a couple of events coming up: a public execution, (could lead to a 'who set him up' mystery plot) and I figure someone is gonna destroy 40 or so gargoyles while most people are watching the execution.

But I'm at a loss for where to go from here. What would make this city come to life?

curiosity

First Post
I don't know, but throw the PCs into something, make them react - don't just let them wander around at a loose end. Maybe they witness an argument in the street about the execution. Maybe it gets out of hand and turn into a fight. Maybe one of the participants goes postal and attacks the other, or fireballs him, or maybe a brawl starts. Maybe the authorities think the PCs were involved. Maybe the PCs rescue someone who turns out to be from one of the noble houses.

Bottom line: action!

WillieW

First Post
LazerPointer said:
The basics: 8 PC's, homebrew without elves, fairly provincial part of the world. The city has gargyles that are tolerated because they keep the vampire spawn in check. So far I've created the usual scheming noble houses, a powerful guild system, and two main criminal organizations. I have a couple of events coming up: a public execution, (could lead to a 'who set him up' mystery plot) and I figure someone is gonna destroy 40 or so gargoyles while most people are watching the execution.

But I'm at a loss for where to go from here. What would make this city come to life?
Not all action has to be combat. Small cities have parades, holidays, religious festivals, market days, circuses, visiting dramatic societies, "catch-a-rat" days, political rallies, horse races, "ethnic/minority-awareness days" (everyone becomes an honorary dwarf for a day...? false beards and rubber axes all round...?), tax collecting, sports-for-all, musical/poetic competitions (sponsored by Poleaxe Ale: It's Strength is Legend), protection rackets, gambling dens, evangelists, houses of ill-repute, drug dens, night-soil collection facilities, community development groups (We say "No" to one-thousand years of hatred. Excuse me, Big Nose. You're standing on my foot), weather-studying wizards, window-cleaners, street entertainers (mime is a form of punishment both there and in the real world), infestations, hysterical epidemics (Now MINE is turning green!), inventions, discoveries, centres of pilgrimage, retirement dwellings, witch hunts, rickshaws and merchants.

Connect any three subjects from this list to create one scenario... :]

JDowling

First Post
so everyone gets hammered, puts on a fake beard, carries around a rubber axe, celebrates houses of ill-repute, then goes on a witch hunt? hrmmm.... :D

WillieW

First Post
JDowling said:
so everyone gets hammered, puts on a fake beard, carries around a rubber axe, celebrates houses of ill-repute, then goes on a witch hunt? hrmmm.... :D

...for starters... :]

Remove ads