• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My PCs lack charisma...

RaZZer99

First Post
I have only 3 PCs in my game, so their choice of characters for a somewhat balanced party is pretty crucial. They use a 28 point buy system for ability scores. The problem is, they load up on stats like str and dex that have tangible readily percieved benefits, but then always use charisma for the dump stat. They all have less than average charisma (and their other mental stats aren't too good either), which I could tolerate. But then they never take any social cha linked skills to make up for it. How can I best deal with such a brutish undiplomatic party? How could they feasibly get by in normal adventuring with out atleast an ounce of negotiation muscle? I am led to believe they are under the impression they can fight everything and win, but this simply isn't true. I'm not going to make straight up combat the end all be all solution, and I don't feel the need to cut them slack. Should I simply let them reap the rewards (errr realistic penalities) of such tactlessness?

The Crimster

First Post
I am led to believe they are under the impression they can fight everything and win

You can't fight the tax man when he states they owe hundreds of gold pieces in taxes.

You can't fight the local bailiff when he thinks you might be responsible for murder.

You can't get the information from the barkeep that will lead you to the man you're seeking.

In other words, hit 'em where it hurts.

Not all the time, mind you. This is all about having fun, of course. But let them realize that they look like cuthroats and rabble. They SURELY aren't intimidating, right? Of course not! They probably don't have any ranks in it because it's a charisma based skill.

The final argument I can give is this:

Even the A-Team had a Face.

The Crimster

You'll find that kobolds are far more interesting when they're kept in one piece. In fact, it sounds like the party in question could use a good kobold diplomat...

Seriously, this is a self-correcting problem. When they can't convince anyone to help them with anything, they'll either try to kill everyone (a la Knights of the Dinner Table), or they will otherwise fail in their adventures. Eventually the light will go on. There are no dump stats in 3rd edition. :)

omedon

First Post
I am happy to see you on the new boards Kobold Curry Chef. There are too few people there shedding light on the kobold perspective.

Remove ads