• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My player is squishing everything.

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
Piratecat beat me to it but I was going to suggest taking into account the surface material on the squish attacks. If it's a frozen river both he and his target probably went into the water. Or broke the bridge. Or slammed through the floor and are now in the basement. Aside from extra falling damage the character quickly becomes isolated from the party.

If I had a player trying that I would also point out that putting yourself as a human cannonball all the time will wreck havoc with your joints (knees if landing on your feet..everything if landing on your side or scrunched up).
This would also be a good way of stopping it in-game instead of DM fiat. The character simply says "Yeah that was fun, but when my knees started making little popping noises I realized I shouldn't do that anymore". And the game goes on.

King-Panda

First Post
Yeah, I really like the idea of bursting through the floor. Problem is, he was in a dungeon, hitting the floor with no open space beneath it, so at the very worst it would've just made a small crater.

Chocobo

First Post
Well if you use the RAW equipment weights, then his total is 265*8 + 255*2 = 2630 for a damage of 13d6. For a 12th level character that's hardly unreasonable damage to do a few times daily especially if you require a roll to hit, and do 1d6 to him.

And of course the other advantage of using the normal large equipment weights is that the Enlarge Person spell can actually be used for its intended purpose, instead of only being part of a cheesy combo.

Aleolus

First Post
King-Panda said:
Aleolus: I have no idea what you are talking about.

I was giving a way to deal with him. Basically, have multiple people. After he falls, he's considered helpless until his next turn, since he's too heavy to move. So have a fighter come up a Coup him, dealing with the issue.

Players who munchkin like this need to learn that, no matter how powerful you get something, there's always something better, so it's best to only powerlevel some, so to be strong, but not god-like strong.

King-Panda

First Post
Aleolus: I dont think he is considered helpless. The Lift of ground rules states that he could lift 2800 lbs, which is less than 255*8 = 2040. But, I plan on using the large size items are x2 weight, not x8, so he wouldn't actually even be carrying more than his maximum weight when large, and definitely wouldn't be helpless. But thanks for the tip about the images, that would work too.

Chocobo: Thanks for the number crunching. Turns out he isn't over his max weight for carrying anyways. Dealing only 13d6 isn't really cause enough for him to try it anymore, he has plenty of other options that would be more helpful in combat.

shilsen

Adventurer
King-Panda said:
I don't like massive damage at all. My PC's routinely do (and take) over 50 damage all the freaking time.
Massive damage is a lousy idea, since at higher levels you basically have it come up every encounter multiple times. Even if nobody can fail it short of a 1, that's going to come up often enough with the frequency of rolling.

Zelc

First Post
You know, the 2x equipment weight multiplier also has the side effect of preventing Enlarge Person from turning into Better But Situational Hold Person, Level 1 Spell. From a game balance perspective, I think this is the better interpretation.

useness

First Post
Course let me be the one to remind the group that the 20d6 is damage dealt from falling a distance of 10'. Were said Dwarven Thwomp falling from a height of 20' he now deals 40d6, +60d6 at a height of 30' !!! As per the 1d6 per 200lbs per 10' equation. In which case maximum amount of d6 allowed would be reached when the character/object reaches terminal velocity. How many feet that takes is beyond my reckoning.

Not something any 12th level character would shrug off nonchalantly.

Last edited:

Jhulae

First Post
Dragons already do this sort of thing. It's called a "Crush". The damage varies from 2d8 for huge, 4d6 for gargantuan, to 4d8 for colossal dragons.

I doubt very much your player weighs more than a dragon, and dragons obviously train or prepare themselves for this kind of thing.

I'd say it's very reasonable to let your player's tactic to just do 2d8 or (if you're feeling *very* generous) 4d6 damage.

And have the player make some kind of roll to avoid taking damage, because the character is *not* a dragon.

Remove ads