• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My players are going to hate me...

LostSoul

Adventurer
Corinth said:
I accounted for the OP's declaration of house rules being in action within this scenario, along with non-core abilities that extend Death Attack beyond melee range.

That's what I assumed as well, although I thought that I could have been wrong about my reading of the Death Attack ability. Personally, I like that house rule, although I'd have to make sure that my players were aware of it (before someone's head blew up, that is ;) ).

It's a pretty cool scene, I gotta admit. I like being hunted as a PC, so I probably would have enjoyed it (after the head-smacking, and asking "Why oh why didn't we cast Divination?").

shilsen

Adventurer
Meh! That's not being a Rat-Bastard DM. Being a RBDM could be that happening to the NPC party-member whom the PCs really, really like, and it being done by the assassin that the PCs decided to set free two months ago simply because he was opposed to the Evil Empire too.

Being an RBDM isn't about doing random mean things to the PCs, since that takes neither much talent nor effort. But making the choices of the PCs come back to bite them in the rear, and doing so in a manner that makes the PC go "Aaarrgghh!" and the player go, "You bastard! I can't believe you did that!", followed a moment later by, "Damn - that was cool! Now I really want to know what happens next" - now that is RBDMing.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
shilsen said:
Meh! That's not being a Rat-Bastard DM. Being a RBDM could be that happening to the NPC party-member whom the PCs really, really like, and it being done by the assassin that the PCs decided to set free two months ago simply because he was opposed to the Evil Empire too.

Being an RBDM isn't about doing random mean things to the PCs, since that takes neither much talent nor effort. But making the choices of the PCs come back to bite them in the rear, and doing so in a manner that makes the PC go "Aaarrgghh!" and the player go, "You bastard! I can't believe you did that!", followed a moment later by, "Damn - that was cool! Now I really want to know what happens next" - now that is RBDMing.

I agree 100%. My motto has always been ' I don't kill you characters - I merely make them wish they were dead." In other words death would a sweet release from the pain and torment they have turned their own lives into. :)

It seems to me that OP got a neat visual in his mind (blowing off a PCs head - with lots of gory detail) and set up a situation in which he could use it. Not terribly exciting or interesting.

The Shaman

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I wouldn't do this to my players, as there isn't really a point to slaughtering them.
Funksaw said:
Do not create an ending when you can easily create a beginning.
shilsen said:
Being an RBDM isn't about doing random mean things to the PCs, since that takes neither much talent nor effort.
Psychic Warrior said:
It seems to me that OP got a neat visual in his mind (blowing off a PCs head - with lots of gory detail) and set up a situation in which he could use it. Not terribly exciting or interesting.
And finally...
Anatole France said:
When a thing has been said and well said, have no scruple; take it and copy it.
:)

Remove ads