• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My Pole Arm Fighter

Minsc

Explorer
I've always been a fan of pole weapons in D&D.

Please evaluate and analyze my build. Let me know what you think, and I'm open to criticism and ideas to make him more effective.

Variant Human Fighter

STR 16 DEX 12 CON 16 INT 8 WIS 13 CHA 8

Level 1: Pole Arm Master feat. Great Weapon Fighting fighting style
Level 3: Battlemaster Archetype (Trip, Riposte, Precision, Sweep)
Level 4: Sentinel
Level 6: Great Weapon Master
Level 7: (Lunging, Push)
Level 8: 18 STR
Level 10: (Goading, Evasive Footwork)
Level 12: 20 STR
Level 14: Resiliant (14 WIS)
Level 15: (Disarm, Distract)
Level 16: CON 18
Level 19: CON 20

Would this character be better served as an Eldritch Knight, with all defensive/maneuvering/utility spells?

Sezarious

Explorer
The only thing i was thinking is you should either get the mobility feat so that you can hit and run away from enemies or swap the 'sweep' manouvre for 'manouvring attack'.

'Manouvering attack' is a little bit like the Sentinel feat because it can for example help your mage move out of the way of a Minotaurs charge BUT it could ALSO allow the mage to move away from enemies, which have just surrounded him.

Thirdly, the party barbarian with base speed 40ft is 60ft away from the enemy mage. You go before the Barbarian, striking an enemy with a manouvering attack. The barbarian moves 20ft towards the caster, making up the remaining distance on their turn.

Best of luck! I assume your character will own a miniature giant space hampster?

Minsc

Explorer
Thanks.

And while I may one day make Minsc for 5e, he will have minimum WIS, and will probably mix in Barbarian levels. I always liked him with greatswords, and can't imagine him being a Battle Master, Champion fits our lovable "Ranger" much better. :D

Remove ads