• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yora

Legend
For all the "because LOTR" D&D uses to keep Halfings a major race in the game, I'm surprised there is no "Ring of Halflings" magic item that buffs halflings and curses all other races.
That actually sounds like a great free DM's Guild file: 20 magic items based on halfling traits and deities.

For all the "because LOTR" D&D uses to keep Halfings a major race in the game, I'm surprised there is no "Ring of Halflings" magic item that buffs halflings and curses all other races.

Don't you mean a ring that turns your character into an invisible crackhead?

The issue about saving space is that at most we're saving three pages in the PHB. I've only seen two plausible long-listed extra races for the PHB (tabaxi, outside chance of warforged) and a substitution (half orcs being replaced by either orcs or goliaths as The Strong Guys). And I suspect that if it's 5% of characters being halflings there are far more players - I've played characters of multiple races.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes, it's 100% popularity based. An idea that has been in the game for FIFTY YEARS has never gained any real popularity.
Let’s assume that the ddb stats are representative of the whole hobby. 5% of active characters are Halflings. That is an enormous amount of people. They have never lost real popularity.
Two races that have been in the game for less than 20 are both more popular and considerably more popular.
And those two races are in the PHB. 🤷‍♂️
So, yeah, drop the stuff that few people play in favor of stuff that actually gains traction. Don't drop it from the game entirely. Sure. Put them in the Monster Manual for those that want them.
Even if it were ever going to happen, and even if I agreed that it should, no. The MM is not where players go for PC options.
Cool beans. But as one of the four most popular PC races? Seriously?
You seem to misunderstand why the core four are. Human is the only race in its league of popularity. Everything else pales in comparison.

Halflings are still very much in the top 10 out of over a hundred races. Even if we went by current popularity, they’d still be in the PHB. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads