• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E My Proposed 4e House Rules (so far)

Sashi

First Post
pukunui said:
So is a permanent +1 to Reflex better than a permanent +1 to Will?
It's not about being "equal" with the Eladrin, a +1 reflex is functionally identical to +1 will. It's about trading a +1 to your allies for a +1 to you. +1 to a defense is also a bigger boost than +1 to a skill.

pukunui

Legend
Hmm. Literacy is a good issue too. To be truly "Points of light in a dark world", you'd want most people to be illiterate. I think I saw somebody's house rule suggesting that you're illiterate unless you're trained in a knowledge skill. Sounds reasonable to me but my players might find it "unfun", so we'll see ... I think literacy is one of those "discuss with the players and go with the flow" things.

@ Zinovia: the 2e Secondary Skill system was an optional variant to the nonweapon proficiency system. It consists of a d100 table with things like armorer, bowyer/fletcher, gambler, mason, miner, scribe, teamster/freighter, weaponsmith, woodcarver/carpenter, etc. Each one has some things you can do with the skill, so like armorer says you can "make, repair & evaluate armor and weapons" while limner/painter says you can do "map making, appraisal of art objects". If you use the table, it is possible to roll one, two or no secondary skills. It then states that "Once a character has a secondary skill, it is up to the player and the DM to determine just what the character can do with it." It goes on to say that, depending on the task, the DM might allow automatic success, assign a percentage chance, or require a saving throw or ability check.

StarFyre

Explorer
stat bonuses

in 15 or so years of DM'ing I can honestly say stat bonuses mean pretty much nothing.

Reason, I've had players (and had the luck myself) to roll 3+ 18s and have all other stats above 12. Other times had lower stats.

If you have a dragonborn with slightly higher WIS instead of CHA, thats the same as a person who rolled a bit different and allocated stats that way.

Really...it's not that big a deal...in any edition I have seen (2+) and initial stuff in 4E is the same way...

Sanjay

pukunui

Legend
StarFyre said:
in 15 or so years of DM'ing I can honestly say stat bonuses mean pretty much nothing.

Reason, I've had players (and had the luck myself) to roll 3+ 18s and have all other stats above 12. Other times had lower stats.

If you have a dragonborn with slightly higher WIS instead of CHA, thats the same as a person who rolled a bit different and allocated stats that way.

Really...it's not that big a deal...in any edition I have seen (2+) and initial stuff in 4E is the same way...

Sanjay
So are you saying it's not a big deal to change the dragonborn stat bonuses to STR/WIS instead of STR/CHA or are you saying it doesn't matter so don't bother or what? It seems like you're suggesting I go ahead with it but I'm not entirely sure.

cruhand

First Post
No matter how "balanced" a system Wizards have made with 4th edition, ultimately the true balancing is still in the hands of the DM. If you want to change something that has a game-technical impact - do so, but be prepared that you might need additional dm-balancing as a result.
As a side-note, I agree with Sanjay that it doesn't really matter that much to alter the racial stat-bonuses.

pukunui

Legend
cruhand said:
No matter how "balanced" a system Wizards have made with 4th edition, ultimately the true balancing is still in the hands of the DM. If you want to change something that has a game-technical impact - do so, but be prepared that you might need additional dm-balancing as a result.
As a side-note, I agree with Sanjay that it doesn't really matter that much to alter the racial stat-bonuses.
Thanks.

Flame_Excess

Explorer
What! Int a dump stat?
I might not have bought the books but never I would have thought charisma to become a more important atribute than int. How come is that?

pukunui

Legend
Flame_Excess said:
What! Int a dump stat?
I might not have bought the books but never I would have thought charisma to become a more important atribute than int. How come is that?
I dunno. I'm wondering that myself.

Remove ads