My ranger Poll results: See last post. (was beating the Ranger with a better stick)

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I thought, that opposed to a discussion, we should try and measure what everyone thinks a ranger should be, which I think hasn't been done before.

Please reply to this message for each question from 1 to 5, with 1 being completely unnecessary and 5 being essential.

1)The ranger needs to be able to track from first level onwards, hence needs it as a bonus feat.
2)The Ranger should have a +1 BAB/Level
3)The ranger, being a rugged outdoorsman needs at least a d10 hitdie.
4)The ranger needs extra feats that help him in combat, such as Point blank shot or Two Weapon Fighting
5)Provided the ranger needs the feats discussed in 4, he needs them in the first 3 levels
6)The ranger needs to be able to cast some divine spells (disregard the spell Animal friendship for this question)
7)The ranger needs 6 skill points per level to fulfill his role
8)The ranger needs a good reflex save
9)The ranger needs to be able to acquire an animal companion
10)The ranger must not have multiclass restrictions
11)The ranger needs to be a core class, as opposed to being a prestige class
12)The ranger needs to either be forced or encouraged to wear light armour

Please keep this thread on topic. I'll compile the results at 60 replies or when the thread falls off the 2nd page, whcihever comes first.

Rav

Last edited:

Dr. NRG

First Post
It's too far to refer back to the list already, so:

5- 1)The ranger needs to be able to track from first level onwards, hence needs it as a bonus feat.
3- 2)The Ranger should have a +1 BAB/Level
2- 3)The ranger, being a rugged outdoorsman needs at least a d10 hitdie.
3- 4)The ranger needs extra feats that help him in combat, such as Point blank shot or Two Weapon Fighting
4- 5)Provided the ranger needs the feats discussed in 4, he needs them in the first 3 levels
2- 6)The ranger needs to be able to cast some divine spells (disregard the spell Animal friendship for this question)
4- 7)The ranger needs 6 skill points per level to fulfill his role
4- 8)The ranger needs a good reflex save
2- 9)The ranger needs to be able to acquire an animal companion
2- 10)The ranger must not have multiclass restrictions
5- 11)The ranger needs to be a core class, as opposed to being a prestige class
5- 12)The ranger needs to either be forced or encouraged to wear light armour

NRG

Last edited:

Here's my take:

5- 1)The ranger needs to be able to track from first level onwards, hence needs it as a bonus feat.
4- 2)The Ranger should have a +1 BAB/Level
4- 3)The ranger, being a rugged outdoorsman needs at least a d10 hitdie.
4- 4)The ranger needs extra feats that help him in combat, such as Point blank shot or Two Weapon Fighting
1- 5)Provided the ranger needs the feats discussed in 4, he needs them in the first 3 levels
4- 6)The ranger needs to be able to cast some divine spells (disregard the spell Animal friendship for this question)
4- 7)The ranger needs 6 skill points per level to fulfill his role
1- 8)The ranger needs a good reflex save
4- 9)The ranger needs to be able to acquire an animal companion
5- 10)The ranger must not have multiclass restrictions
5- 11)The ranger needs to be a core class, as opposed to being a prestige class
4- 12)The ranger needs to either be forced or encouraged to wear light armour

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Re: Help me beat the Ranger's dead horse with a better stick!

4- 1)The ranger needs to be able to track from first level onwards, hence needs it as a bonus feat.
3- 2)The Ranger should have a +1 BAB/Level
2- 3)The ranger, being a rugged outdoorsman needs at least a d10 hitdie.
1- 4)The ranger needs extra feats that help him in combat, such as Point blank shot or Two Weapon Fighting
3- 5)Provided the ranger needs the feats discussed in 4, he needs them in the first 3 levels
3- 6)The ranger needs to be able to cast some divine spells (disregard the spell Animal friendship for this question)
3- 7)The ranger needs 6 skill points per level to fulfill his role
4- 8)The ranger needs a good reflex save
4- 9)The ranger needs to be able to acquire an animal companion
3- 10)The ranger must not have multiclass restrictions
2- 11)The ranger needs to be a core class, as opposed to being a prestige class
4- 12)The ranger needs to either be forced or encouraged to wear light armour

Zerovoid

First Post
5 - 1)The ranger needs to be able to track from first level onwards, hence needs it as a bonus feat.
3 - 2)The Ranger should have a +1 BAB/Level
3 - 3)The ranger, being a rugged outdoorsman needs at least a d10 hitdie.
3 - 4)The ranger needs extra feats that help him in combat, such as Point blank shot or Two Weapon Fighting
1 - 5)Provided the ranger needs the feats discussed in 4, he needs them in the first 3 levels
4 - 6)The ranger needs to be able to cast some divine spells (disregard the spell Animal friendship for this question)
1 - 7)The ranger needs 6 skill points per level to fulfill his role
3 - 8)The ranger needs a good reflex save
5 - 9)The ranger needs to be able to acquire an animal companion
5 - 10)The ranger must not have multiclass restrictions
5 - 11)The ranger needs to be a core class, as opposed to being a prestige class
4 - 12)The ranger needs to either be forced or encouraged to wear light armour

Mordane76

First Post
Re: Help me beat the Ranger's dead horse with a better stick!

4 - 1)The ranger needs to be able to track from first level onwards, hence needs it as a bonus feat.
2 - 2)The Ranger should have a +1 BAB/Level
3 - 3)The ranger, being a rugged outdoorsman needs at least a d10 hitdie.
3 - 4)The ranger needs extra feats that help him in combat, such as Point blank shot or Two Weapon Fighting
1 - 5)Provided the ranger needs the feats discussed in 4, he needs them in the first 3 levels
1 - 6)The ranger needs to be able to cast some divine spells (disregard the spell Animal friendship for this question)
3 - 7)The ranger needs 6 skill points per level to fulfill his role
2 - 8)The ranger needs a good reflex save
1 - 9)The ranger needs to be able to acquire an animal companion
4 - 10)The ranger must not have multiclass restrictions
3 - 11)The ranger needs to be a core class, as opposed to being a prestige class
3 - 12)The ranger needs to either be forced or encouraged to wear light armour

I'm a steadfast believer in the ranger as a tracker and an archer, so the whole TWF bit irks me. I'm also not too horribly fond of the spellcasting classes beyond the cleric, druid, wizard, and sorcerer (or variants thereof), and I don't cater much to the paladin, ranger, assassin, and bard all having spellcasting ability.

Remove ads