D&D 5E My Review of Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes is Live will also answer any questions

Thank you for checking. But wow, so the souls of the elves who don't match the Seldarine's standards are destroyed? And the drow are destroyed a priori, with only chances of not being destroyed by following Eilistraee or the Seldarine? That's a massive retcon, and truly harsh, tbh.

That bit about Eilistraee, that's the so called last dance. It's supposed to be an act of love from the goddess, as she personally brings the soul of the drow with her. They seem to have made it something eerie.

No elf can ever hope to go to Arvandor (in the previous lore, they all went there, unless they worshiped non-elven deities)?

No they tend to be accepted in on death from what I recall.

Or not strange.

Last edited:

JPL

Adventurer
Any interesting stuff about gnomes? I've liked the preview stuff about halflings, talking about how they fit into the universe, and I feel like gnomes need that sort of clarification in 5E. Making them the secretive fey race in 4E was a cool direction, but they seem to have steered away from that now.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Well, the Seldarine and Arvandor (at least in this form) aren't really a part of Eberron to begin with. So any of this elf lore is clearly specific to worlds that use this as a baseline (Greyhawk, FR, Planescape, etc). I heard you on it changing the FR afterlife game, though, but mentioning Eberron elves here is like mentioning Dark Sun elves here. These worlds are technically inter-visitable with the right magic or technology, but the mechanics of their afterlives, the roles of their deities and religious systems, shouldn't be conflated.

It's too bad there wasn't room to explore how elves are different in Eberron and Dark Sun. I imagine while Mordenkainen has his eye on Eberron too, though he's probably pretty cut off from Dark Sun, or else he'd be like "oooooooh crap" and spend half the book on the Sorcerer-Kings and all the threats of the Dune Sea. But in actuality, he cares about cosmic, multiverse-threats. Dark Sun's threats are terrifying, but they're entirely contained to that one dead world. Eberron elves, on the other hand, should have been worth at least a paragraph or two about the Undying Court and the Blood of Vol.

Yaarel

He Mage
Well, the Seldarine and Arvandor (at least in this form) aren't really a part of Eberron to begin with. So any of this elf lore is clearly specific to worlds that use this as a baseline (Greyhawk, FR, Planescape, etc). I heard you on it changing the FR afterlife game, though, but mentioning Eberron elves here is like mentioning Dark Sun elves here. These worlds are technically inter-visitable with the right magic or technology, but the mechanics of their afterlives, the roles of their deities and religious systems, shouldn't be conflated.

It's too bad there wasn't room to explore how elves are different in Eberron and Dark Sun. I imagine while Mordenkainen has his eye on Eberron too, though he's probably pretty cut off from Dark Sun, or else he'd be like "oooooooh crap" and spend half the book on the Sorcerer-Kings and all the threats of the Dune Sea. But in actuality, he cares about cosmic, multiverse-threats. Dark Sun's threats are terrifying, but they're entirely contained to that one dead world. Eberron elves, on the other hand, should have been worth at least a paragraph or two about the Undying Court and the Blood of Vol.

The decision to have *one* multiverse that contains *all* settings, means, there is no escape from unwanted 5e lore. If the mechanics bake in the undesirable flavor into the core rules, then even more problematic.

SharnDM

Explorer
It's too bad there wasn't room to explore how elves are different in Eberron and Dark Sun.

You know, it's weird because they spent some time in the Dwarves chapter detailing some of the different styles of Dwarves in realms like Dragonlance, etc. they didn't really do a lot of that for any other race though.

Remove ads