• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Sci Fantasy notes

Braydz

First Post
Well so far so good.

What do you hope to do with the setting? Is this for a particular game, or to have a setting to set games in?

You call it Sci-Fantasy, but aside from the scientific fantasies of mech's and clones I'm not seeing the "fantasy." Where's that come in? Where do the Races and Classes come in?

The idea of adding "Conditions" is groovy, it'll make the game much grittier. But you may want to scale it back a bit; the penalties at the higher levels are pretty severe. Also it's another mechanic to keep track of. Maybe tie it to being Bloodied, and add two more states: Bruised (less than 3/4 HP) and Wounded (less than 1/4 HP)? This way you expand a pre-existing mechanic rather than add a totally new one. The real critique is that I think the chart could be laid out better. I suggest differentiating between the +/-1 Step mechanic markers and the effects of the "condition level" a little better.

Cpt_Micha

First Post
Well so far so good.

What do you hope to do with the setting? Is this for a particular game, or to have a setting to set games in?

You call it Sci-Fantasy, but aside from the scientific fantasies of mech's and clones I'm not seeing the "fantasy." Where's that come in? Where do the Races and Classes come in?

The idea of adding "Conditions" is groovy, it'll make the game much grittier. But you may want to scale it back a bit; the penalties at the higher levels are pretty severe. Also it's another mechanic to keep track of. Maybe tie it to being Bloodied, and add two more states: Bruised (less than 3/4 HP) and Wounded (less than 1/4 HP)? This way you expand a pre-existing mechanic rather than add a totally new one. The real critique is that I think the chart could be laid out better. I suggest differentiating between the +/-1 Step mechanic markers and the effects of the "condition level" a little better.

Well the standard classes are available from the word go. (including the wizard and cleric) I will incorporate Eladrin, and Dragonborn later on after the pcs encounter them (Eladrin are a PL8 more or less and Dragonborn are part of the Cold Ones races)

It's for a general setting, as well as one to have a one off campaign in. I'm hoping it is successful enough to run more than one with.

Yeah, I scaled the conditions back even from what Saga had in it. I might scale it back further after the test session, (starting the characters all out at 16th level ish )

Yeah, I've gotta work on that format abit too. My fantasy stuff on that site's abit jumbled yet.

Braydz

First Post
Well the standard classes are available from the word go. (including the wizard and cleric) I will incorporate Eladrin, and Dragonborn later on after the pcs encounter them (Eladrin are a PL8 more or less and Dragonborn are part of the Cold Ones races)

So where does the "magic" come from? Is it all psychic, or some kind of super-meditation science, or for real magic? What are the metaphysics and greater, planar cosmology like?

You account for Eladrin and Dragonborn as aliens. Are the rest of the demi-human races genetically engineered strains? What about Tieflings?

This is a cool idea, at the moment it feels like a pulpier "Firefly."

Why are you starting characters at such a high level, even if it's for a one-shot? Just curious, considering that you're trying a new setting with supplemental rules for a new system (4E).

Cpt_Micha

First Post
So where does the "magic" come from? Is it all psychic, or some kind of super-meditation science, or for real magic? What are the metaphysics and greater, planar cosmology like?

You account for Eladrin and Dragonborn as aliens. Are the rest of the demi-human races genetically engineered strains? What about Tieflings?

This is a cool idea, at the moment it feels like a pulpier "Firefly."

Why are you starting characters at such a high level, even if it's for a one-shot? Just curious, considering that you're trying a new setting with supplemental rules for a new system (4E).

Posted the magics and psionics. Will have the other races posted up shortly. Will find Magic for now under technology until I find a better place for it.
Mostly because my group feels that low level isn't worth their time for whatever reason (think it's the fact they've started from level one in three campaigns already) also, this way I can have them credibly shape the events that take place in the setting on a large scale. (read help make history on a multiple systems scale)

Yeah, Firefly meets Aliens was kind of the feel I was shooting for *L*

Last edited:

Braydz

First Post
Ok very cool write-ups for the races.

What has meeting alien races done to humanity? Speaking overly-simply and broadly, has it lead to exoticism of the new races, prejudice, a wary but accepting eye? The reaction and its level would be different for each race, I imagine.

I can just see shuttles of neo-hippies setting off without invitation to live with the elves, who will "clearly" readily accept them and teach them the ways of "enlightened living," and Jim Crowe-style laws against Halflings.

If the Eladrin were great trans-dimensional travelers at one point I think that they should have had TL 8+ tech, remnants of which are lying around in ruins and what-not. They're pushing into TL 8 again just now because they had their whole culture and knowledge base torn apart by the war. I mean, that's how I'd run it. Just a thought.

Hard number crunching, how much of what level of tech. is available to how many people where? I'm not looking for an answer, I just think it's something to think about.

Your conceptual stuff all looks pretty solid. At the least you seem to have a good handle on it and what you want out of it. Now I, as much as what I say matters, want to see some details; star systems, key planets, key players, and recent events from the local to the intergalactic level. It might seem a little early for this stuff, but starting to work some of it out will start to show you gaps and weak points in your concepts, and things that maybe don't work the way you wanted.

I don't mean to be pushy or anything, I just think this is a cool project and am excited to see it go forward.

Cpt_Micha

First Post
Ok very cool write-ups for the races.

What has meeting alien races done to humanity? Speaking overly-simply and broadly, has it lead to exoticism of the new races, prejudice, a wary but accepting eye? The reaction and its level would be different for each race, I imagine.

I can just see shuttles of neo-hippies setting off without invitation to live with the elves, who will "clearly" readily accept them and teach them the ways of "enlightened living," and Jim Crowe-style laws against Halflings.

If the Eladrin were great trans-dimensional travelers at one point I think that they should have had TL 8+ tech, remnants of which are lying around in ruins and what-not. They're pushing into TL 8 again just now because they had their whole culture and knowledge base torn apart by the war. I mean, that's how I'd run it. Just a thought.

Hard number crunching, how much of what level of tech. is available to how many people where? I'm not looking for an answer, I just think it's something to think about.

Your conceptual stuff all looks pretty solid. At the least you seem to have a good handle on it and what you want out of it. Now I, as much as what I say matters, want to see some details; star systems, key planets, key players, and recent events from the local to the intergalactic level. It might seem a little early for this stuff, but starting to work some of it out will start to show you gaps and weak points in your concepts, and things that maybe don't work the way you wanted.

I don't mean to be pushy or anything, I just think this is a cool project and am excited to see it go forward.

Well so far there's not been any official First Contact in the setting. (saving that moment for the pcs insert evil laughter here) There have been sightings here and there but nothing with any definitive irrefutable proof. As far as greater humanity is concerned it's still a bunch of "wierdos and liars" making it up.

Yeah that's where I'm shooting for with my Eladrin completely. It's been so long for them they don't even remember the war (that's how thoroughly they lost their empire)

E.U.S has the highest tech available to humans, where as a Frontier colony like New Arizona, has Pl 6 available and maybe just starting into 7.

And I don't see it as pushy at all really. It helps to have people look over and comment my work. I will have some star systems laid out at some point as well as the big players maybe even tonight since I'm on a roll right now with the setting.

Cpt_Micha

First Post
Posted more information... will start on the item flavor soon.

Anyone have any suggestions for new items or old Future d20 (or saga edition star wars I'm not picky) that you would like to see converted over?

Sorry I slowed down on this project, my players keep putting off the first session and I've also been working on developing other sections of the forum.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads