• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My son is new to the hobby - which game to start him on?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm unclear as to why people are still making suggestions, given that the OP has apparently already come to a conclusion. Did I miss something here?
Because at some point the OP might be interested in trying something else and also because others might be reading this thread and find themselves in a similar situation...

I'm unclear about your post... does it annoy you that other suggestions are coming?

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
(Sorry - initially posted this in the wrong forum)

Hi all,

It's been a long while since I've been around - I stopped gaming to concentrate on RL issues just before 3.5 hit, and now things have gone all 4.0 on me, and meanwhile my shelf is still full of 1E stuff.

Happily my son is just about to turn ten and is showing some interest, so I'm thinking of trying to start a game for him and a couple of his friends.

The question is, what to run for him, and I'd appreciate a little input.

I'd like to run something that strikes a nice balance between fun and complexity - the kids are beyond "Once Upon a Time" but not yet up to Hero System. I think they could handle D&D (OD&D through 3.0 is what I've got on my shelves), but I don't necessarily want to teach them a system they aren't going to be able to get new stuff for in a couple years when it's not longer cool to be playing with dad.

So, in people's opinion, is 4e compatible a good system to start a 10 year old on? How about the Star Wars Saga Edition? (He loves Star Wars almost as much as Harry Potter) Any other newer systems out there I should check out?

Or, should I just break out the OD&D red box and the crayoned dice, and sic them on Bargle?
(worked for me when I was 10.)

Congrats on getting your child into the game... should be fun!

If I were you I'd start him out with Castles & Crusades (rules lite and captures the feel of AD&D) or (if you have it) Basic D&D (the Red Box, Mentzer version is pretty clearly written).

OchreJelly

First Post
You might try the H1 adventure: Keep on the Shadowfell. It has all the basic rules to play 4E for both players and DM and has pregenerated characters so new players aren't overwhelmed with choices. You also keep your investment to a minimum if they decide it's not for them.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters.

That's a good one. Another good one that hasn't been suggested is Tunnels & Trolls. Easy rules, basically a unified system, tons of solo-play products, and it's still in print in multiple formats and editions.

However, when my daughter is about a year older, we'll be using the Moldvay pink box.

Those with younger kids might want to try to pick up the classic Dungeon! board game. It's a great "gateway" to FRPGs. Another good "gateway," that's currently available, is the Heroscape game.

grodog

Hero
Looks like Barrataria Games has an adventure specifically for family gaming @ Adventure Modules (scroll down to Adventures at Rainbow Lodge):

Many fantasy gamers are juggling careers, other interests, and family responsibilities. For those seeking to introduce children to gaming, these adventures are especially designed to be quick-moving and simply-worded to appeal to new players up to age 12 without sacrificing gritty action and tense situations!

I haven't read the downloads yet, but I like the concept (Ethan, my oldest, is 4 years old, and he's already played the TSR Indiana Jones rpg, as well as Endless Quest books :D ). I also know the author/publisher from Greytalk, and he's a good guy, so I'm looking forward to checking out the adventures!

The free download link is Barrataria Games's Storefront - Lulu.com

Remove ads