• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My thoughts about a 4E video game

DanChops

First Post
I'm sure that the idea of a computer game based on the 4E rule set has been bandied about quite a bit. I'm also sure that the recent legal issues vis-a-vis Hasbro and Atari will significantly delay development of any 4E game. I'm under no illusions that my ideal game would be developed, let alone any game at all.

That said, I've been thinking a fair bit about the potential for a 4E computer game, and, since this is the internet, I figure the proper thing to do is to assume that everyone else wants to hear my ideas. ;o)

(All of this is, of course, IMHO. I'm going to make a bunch of factual statements, and not couch everything with phrases like "it seems to me" and "as far as I can tell". Just assume that everything here is wrapped up in that sort of qualifying language.)

I could see four inter-related but distinct aspects of a game, based on the 4E rule set, doing quite well. First, a traditional, single-player campaign that went from level 1 to 30. Second, a multi-player version of the single-player campaign. Third, a customizable multi-player game that allowed for a DM to create his own campaign for a group of players. Fourth, a “Final Fantasy Tactics” style game that focuses solely on squad-level tactical combat.

The traditional single-player campaign is the most obvious. Start at first level. Go on a bunch of quests. Become part of a larger plot. Ultimately, save the world (or something even more epic, like save the Feywild or something.) However, the plot should not be too constraining – there should be plenty to do outside the context of the main plot; lots of sub-plots and tangential dungeons and such. Perhaps it could be a sand-box game with half a dozen different possible climactic points. This would greatly increase replay value. The campaign should be set in 4E’s implied setting, replete with references to Arkhosia and trips to the Shadowfell and such. The game should be a combination of real-time exploration and social interaction with turn- and grid- based combat. Player’s should be able to successfully complete the campaign with just one character, but the challenges should scale to allow for a player to control a party of up to five or six characters, if desired.

There should also be the ability to play this grand campaign as a multi-player experience. I’m not talking MMO here – just have a group of players hosted on one of their machines exploring the world and going on quests. Everyone other than the characters themselves would be controlled by the computer. In essence, this would be a DM-free group gaming experience. Allow the game to be played on a LAN, so you could have D&D LAN parties.

The third aspect would allow players to create their own content for others to enjoy. This content could be modifications of classes and races, adventures and locales to go into the default campaign world, or entirely new campaign worlds with their own stories. NWN did this sort of functionality quite well, and the new game should duplicate that.

Finally, there should be a squad-level tactical combat game. This could be a feature of the base game, or a separate game entirely. There wouldn’t be much of a story – just combat in interesting environments. This would be particularly enjoyable in a multi-player mode. Perhaps there could be regular tournaments, or a ladder-type system.

The game should be as platform agnostic as possible. The engine should be developed using OpenGL so that it could be easily ported to Macs. It should be developed for both console and PC play – and players on consoles should be able to play online with players on PCs. There should also be mobile versions for the iPhone and related devices. I know I would certainly waste lots of time playing a 4E D&D tactics on my iPod touch.

So, those are my thoughts. Enjoy.

chronoplasm

First Post
There is a 4E D&D video game; it's called World of Warcraft.
JUST KIDDING!

I think wizards did an okay job on their D&D facebook app. I think if they built on that a little more they could have something pretty cool.
You ever play that 'farm story' game (or whatever it's called) on facebook? I can see something like that being adapted for the grid based combat of 4E.

Felon

First Post
At this point, I'd just settle for an official Character Builder iPhone app.

Anyway, I wonder how a 4e game would handle the interrupt actions? I bet this is part of what made the VTT such a non-starter.

How I would love to be on the design team of a game like that, DanChops.

I remember back in the summer of 2004, well before I considered pitching War of the Burning Sky as a D&D campaign, I tried to come up with how it could be a video game.

One of my favorite ideas was that there would be a core plot, where you could start as any of a half dozen possible characters. As you went through the game you could attract different allies, make different people enemies. The game would have tremendous replay value because each time you played it you could use different sets of powers, and end up with a different plot and ending.

Of course, it would probably be infeasible for the same reason, because why spend millions of dollars developing a game where the average player will only experience 20% of the possibilities?

Kaodi

Hero
No matter what setting you use, I am still wholly of the opinion that a new 4th Edition game should be Heroic tier, full stop. Not only would that leave an obvious route with which to extend in the second game, at the paragon tier, but it means that there is no situation where the quests at the beginning of the game are so trivial to the character at the end because they do not wield god-like power compared to when they started out. If you can not stretch the levels enough, then you are not putting enough thought into the "role-playing" aspect of the game, using story based rewards.

Remove ads